Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vietnam and Cambodia

• 06-06-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey all,

I will be around Hanoi,Ho Chi Minh and Phnom Phen for Christmas this year and wondering if there are any cool things to do other than the usual tourist things?.
    Any cool places to celebrate xmas with other expats in Ho Chi Minh city?.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

https://mms.cardsaveonlinepayments.com/Pages/PublicPages/PayByLink.aspx?PaymentLinkUID=d0da915d-a49d-4564-81b4-c56579219589

Well I don't know how much help I can be - I was there recently but did most of the 'tourist' things - but I'll give it a shot.

On my first day in Saigon I could barely move for the guys on mopeds wanting to take me places. Mostly to 'massage' parlours. They will bring you to all the big tourist places too - just make sure you agree the fee up front. They will try and screw you - like if you agree "10" beforehand they'll claim it was 10 x 100,000 dong. If you're very clear on setting the price beforehand you shouldn't have a problem.

As to where the ex-pats go - I don't really know. I've heard there's a sports bar in some big shopping centre near the airport that's popular, but I was only in the city for two days.

In Phonmh Penh I can recommend you don't go to TS21 or the killing fields - seriously depressing stuff. If you do go, make sure you get an english speaking guide or it'll be a waste of time. Again, I wasn't in Phonmh Penh long, but I'd recommend staying in the touristy bars by the waterfront. Some of the bars off that strip are properly seedy. Look out for 'happy hour' promotions in bars/restaurants normally up to 8pm. We ended up with two pitchers of beer each for $3. For food we ate at some great restaurants in Phonmh Penh (much better than Siam Reap) but damned if I can think of the names of them now. Both were by the waterfront and will probably show up with lots of recomendations if you do a quick google.

If you get the opportunity try and take in some tradional Cambodian dancing - it's class. They do huge stage productions with amazing costumes and lasers, but find a small theatre if you can. I certainly enjoyed a simpler show more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

HCMC notable bars

Expat/upmarket:
    Lush
    Chill
    Gold
    Park Hyatt bar
    Vascos
    Cage

Backpacker:
    Go2
    Eden
    Apocalypse
    (plenty more in Pham Ngu Lao area)
    Spotted cow

Mixed others:
    Sheridans Irish bar
    Le Pub

Local style:
    Gossip
    Any street corner

On Christmas go play golf or paintball, book an expat lunch in one of the 5 star hotels and then go out at night partying in a good club.

My info is probably a bit out of date since I moved on so read these:
    www.asialifehcmc.com
    www.wordhcmc.com

Both are brilliant for restaurants clubs and the general scene in Hcmc. One of them even has a cambodian sister magazine, cant remember which one..

Advertisement