Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo of D.I.Y. slider

Options
  • 06-06-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

1.jpg

Hi there,

heres a pic of a slider we made today. Well my friend made the main frame and I updated it in woodwork.

It is based off a tutorial on Filmriot.com. 2 metal tubes with a wooden base. 2 t-joint toilet plumbing bits screwed underneath the base to slide along the rail. Soft tissue or shammy is glued inside these to aid the slide. A 1/4 inch screw is where the camera attaches. 2 elastic shoelaces tied together and wraqpped around the base is the pull lever for a smoother slide. Also, theres 2 soft castors on each end to stop damage to surfaces u place the device on. The length of pipe is nice and long too, at about 2 metres or slightly under.

I took this basic design from my friend and I made a new larger base with 4 t-joint tubes underneath for more stability(see the pic). Then i drilled a hole in centre and got an old crappy tripod and sawed off the legs but left the head. This means that if the slider is not on a level surface, I can tilt the head any way i like and still get a level shot. Plus it has a quick release plate which is almost a necessity. Yu could also paint all the parts black etc for a cooler look.

It cost my friend about 44 euros to build less labour. ANd I added a few euroos to that for my extensions plus however much a tripod head is....Just throwing it out there - if you would like one made Im sure my friend would oblige. Ive been after one o these for years but never had the DIY skills and I think they go for 1000-2000 for professional versions...though they could be mechanised.

Anyway, thats what we did today.
    B.

Advertisement