Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shrubs/flower ideas for new bed

Options
  • 06-06-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

looking for advice please

an area of my back garden is very poorly drained. it is wet and marshy for most of the year but during the hot weather a week ago, the ground was cracking with the heat.
    the soil is alkaline and very heavy.
    i can't afford to get it properly drained as it would cost a lot of money

i have a cluster of birch trees sown in the area..river birch, silver birch, and some taxodium. i would love to under plant this area, and would appreciate any ideas that you might have, i.e shrubs, perennials.

i love the look of bluebells, would they grow in these conditions?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

If you could, shelter it from the sun and use plants that favour marshy conditions. Astilbe need plenty of water and don't like direct sunlight as it scorches the leaves, I think Jacobs Ladder is another shrub that would work in that area also. If its a big area, a weeping Willow would look really nice and thrive on the wet conditions and also help dry out the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The willow tree could help to shelter it.

Advertisement