Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sample General Vision Viewpoint answer, HELP.

• 06-06-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Okay hi, getting nervous about paper two tomorrow. Only did one genre in school, lit'genre. So, here's a GVVP I've thrown together if worst comes to worst. Do you think it'd pass that section?

The general vision viewpoint of texts refers to the author's overall outlook on life. They can be quite similar or vary hugely. This outlook may be conveyed through the fasion in which the plot opens, develops and concludes, through key characters and relationships and indeed the manner in which a particular society is portrayed.
    The texts I have chosen as part of my comparitive course are the play 'Dancing at Lughnasa,' by Brian Friel. The novel 'How Many Miles to Babylon,' by Jennifer Johnston and the film 'The Constant Gardener' directed by Fernando Meirelles. In my answer I intend to compare and contrast between my chosen texts with regards to family-life, friendship and society. The way these aspects are portrayed affects the General vision and viewpoint of all three of my texts.
    Dancing at Lughnasa is set in the small rural village of Ballybed during the summer of 1936. The prevailing vision of the text is essentially downcast and miserable, but there are moments of scintillating light and laughter which occasionally lift a general air of despondancy. By contrast, how many miles to babylon is set in the upper ca,araderir of Anglo-Irish aristocracy in the years prior to the start of world war one. It later moves to the battlefeild,where Alec,the protagonist, serves as a high ranking officer due to his social stance. The dominant visoin is comparable one of pessimism. This pessimism is somewhat relived by the quality of friendship shared between Alec Moore and Jerry Crowe. Similarly, The constant gardener emphasises the fragility, vulnerability and danders posed to human life. This fil depicts a brutal world where the poor are mercilessly exploited to serve the desires of the first world economy. Throughout this film, the pessimism is almost relentles.
    With regards to daning at lughnasa family life is presented to be very positive and optimistic. Even poverty, with Kate being the sole earner of the family, doesn't dampen the spirits of the Mundy Household. Dancing is used as a visual medium for us as an audience, to focus on.
    Whillst the mundy sister, they are free from all the nedgativity riddled throughout their lives. Dancing, therefore is associated with light and happiness. It lifts the spirit of heavier moments in the play.
    Depite society labelling the birth of Michael Evans illegitimate, Michael, the narrator, feels the utmost love from his aunts and compares his unique situation to having "five mothers." His childhood was filled with almost complete love, laughter and dancing up until the end of the summer of 1936. This was a very different childhood childhood, in terms of lifes vision in comparision with Alec Moore.
    Alec endured a dismal and isolated family life. He experienced no real relationship with his mother and a rather strained one with his father. He wasn't sent toschool, such was his mother's distaste for his father, so he had never developed friends, this atmosphere contributed to create a heavy mood:
    " as a child, I was always alone."
    Unlike the Mundy sisters, the moors are not constained by the pressures of poverty or the damning of society, although family life seems adrift, isolated and tense. Johnston provides a polar opposite in the shape of Jerry Crowe, A boy of relatively the same age, who is (excuse the pun) gunning for war, although goes A.W.O.L in search of his father solely because his mother had asked him to. This emphasis the pityful relationship in the moore household.
    In the constant gardener introudeces the two main characters Tessa and Justin Quayle. The relationship is beautifully depicted with heart-warming positivity as they prepare for the arrival of their first child. However, cracks slowly appear as Tessa delves into the corruption amongst African people. We see these faults develop as Tessa Tessa's baby is still born in an African hospital and Justin acknowledges that Arnold Bhulm is more able communicate with Tessa. Tessa and Justin's relationship is the sole positive light in an otherwise bleak and depressing film. Thjis relationship resembles hugely to that of alec and Jerry.
    I've just noticed that key relationships act as a relief from the dominant pessimistic onslught. In dancing at lughnasa the arrival of Gerry Evans raises spirits amongst the mundy sister, gradually, Chris falls in love with Gerry all over again. Chris' sisters note how she " laughs all the time with him." even Kate remarks on how "her whole face alters when she's happy." Gerry's sporadic arrivals show us the true extent of how the mundy sisters have been ostricised from society, we note that nobody else comes to visit the mundy household for the udration of the play.
    Unlike the united love in Dancing at Lughnasa. How many miles to babylong portrays one single key relationship, between Alec and Jerry. A relationship which is frowned upon by the society of the time:
    "I have a friend. A private, secret friend."
    It is this relationship that is alec's only source of joy and makes his life worthwhile. Their friendship proves strong amidst all obstacles, including death.
    The constant gardener juxtaposes the relationship shared between alec and jerry with the key relationship between Tessa and Sandy woodrow. Through the use of flashback, we see them having dinner together, with their respective families. As the story develops we are shown the Sandy is one of justin's good friend. He helps him to identify Tess's body The viewer watches as the underlying betrayal of sandy's friendship to justin is exposed. We understand that sandy had not only betrayed justin by propositioning Tessa, but also contributed to tess'a death. He had informed higher authorities of her where-abouts which ultimately signaled her death. Sandys betrayal reminds me of the lies Gerry evans told chris. He lead a double life with another family in Wales, despite all his proposals he could never had married Chris. Thus, creating a negative view of relationships.
    Society plays a huge role in determining the positive or negative outlook of the lives of the main characters. In dancing at lughnasa society had a massive pessimistic view of the mundy sisters. Agnes and rose are forced to leave home to relieve the pressure on the family's income. They both die far from home and without the comfort of family members. The beliefs of the catholic church enforces society to treat the mundy sister with such utter contempt. They are essentially ostrascised by society due to the illegitmate birth of Michael Mundy. Similarly, rose heading for the "back hills" with Danny Bradley, a separated man, would no be recieved well amongst society either. This condemnation by society reminds me vividly of the negative viewpoint of Alicia, alecs mother, when examining Alec and Jerry's relationship:
    "No more Jerminiah, no no!"
    How many miles to babylon depicts society in a massively pessimistic light. Jerry is affected by poverty and has only joinded the army for the financial benefits it behold:
    " Cash Alec, that's what's driving me"
    Jerry's social class separates him from alec constantly, even in the army. Major Glendinning mirros the views of Alicia moore with regard to etiquette. We see this in a key moment where Alec, as a high ranking officer, is ordered to execute the desolate foot-soldier Jerry. This is a very pessimistic moment, where the true horrors of war are seen. The constant Gardener adapts a stance that society is corrupt, like how many miles to babylon. Glaring inequalities exist between the rich and the poor in africa. The pharmaceutical companies are saving millions of dollers by testing their drug on "people that wouldn't be dead otherwise." we also view a raid in a village near Sudan where raiders kidnap children for slavery. This is a clear indication of how corrupt society is. Yet, more negativity toward society is seen in the treatment of Wanza Killula. A mother, refused her basic medical needs because she wouldn't part-take in testing the new drug " dypraxa"
    In conclusion, I think it is fair to say that the general vison and viewpoint of different texts present us with that which is positive and that which is negative in the human experience. While moments of light arise in all three narratives, the prevailing vision is dark, pessimistic and gloomy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Genuinely, thank you so much! Great advice!
    Thought it ambitious anybody would read it. Always assumed using the techniques were worthless, considering it's such an unbelievably mechanical section.
    Worthwhile, using poetic techniques ( alliteration etc too?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I've just noticed that key relationships act as a relief from the dominant pessimistic onslught.

that sounds a bit odd, no?
    good point though, I would put it another way. Other than that it seems fine!
    I wouldn't worry too much about GV&V it is one of the easier comparative modes.
    Maybe have something about the ending of each text? e.g How Justin is reunited with Tess in death and the truth is revealed at his funeral.

Advertisement