Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Airsoft

Options
  • 06-06-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, I was banned last night after a few of my friends, who were over at the time thought it funny to access my P.C without my permission and log on to my boards account and troll, they then used a fake email address to create a new account and troll even more. For a finish both accounts were banned, this is my real account from which they posted 1 comment, it was subsequently banned because of a second fake account (AntiFascist) which was used to post unknown amounts of spam before it along with this account were both banned. While I understand the distress caused, I am not liable for these fellows who were acting without my authorization on this computer. I am still relatively new to boards however you will see I have no past history of trolling or posting abusive comments and try my best to uphold the charter of the Airsoft Adverts Forum. I apologize for any distress caused, the gentlemen who accessed my P.C are being dealt with personally, and I would like my account re-instated as I personally am not responsible. This will not happen again, and I thank you for your time. Sincerely D.B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hi

Myself and my fellow cat mods will look into this and revert back. Please be patient.

Thanks

D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SOVIET KILLJOY

Ok thank you :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The 1st stage in the DRP process is to PM the moderator. Your DRP post fails to state if this first stage had been completed.

If you have not yet PM'd the moderator, then please do so. Many DRPs have been resolved at this stage in the past.

Yes I PM one moderator, who directed me to a second, who sent me here, forgot to mention that earlier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Please be advised that I have almost completed my review of this DRP and will post the results shortly.

• Advertisement

Hi, I was banned last night after a few of my friends, who were over at the time thought it funny to access my P.C without my permission and log on to my boards account and troll… I would like my account re-instated as I personally am not responsible.
    Please be advised that according to the boards.ie Terms of Use guidelines you agreed to when registering :
    5. You are responsible for your account and its details: As part of the registration process, you will be asked to select a user name and password and you will be responsible for all activities occurring under your username and for keeping your password secure.
    Consequently, any "thread spoiling" posts that occurred through the use of your account were your responsibility, regardless if they were posted by you, or someone you claimed to have accessed your account.

You then claimed that during the same time that the thread in question was being spoiled by the SOVIET KILLJOY user account, for some unexplained reason, they stopped using your SOVIET KILLJOY account and:
    …they then used a fake email address to create a new account and troll even more… a second fake account (AntiFascist) which was used to post unknown amounts of spam before it along with this account were both banned.
    A muppet check confirmed that the spamming AntiFascist account was paired with the SOVIET KILLJOY account, so the moderator was fully justified in banning both accounts.
    I am still relatively new to boards however you will see I have no past history of trolling or posting abusive comments and try my best to uphold the charter of the Airsoft Adverts Forum…
    This (above) character reference to past posting behavior on the Airsoft Adverts forum was cause for a review, and it was discovered that yet another potentially bannable offense had been committed when you bumped your thread 4 times on 4 different days, which clearly violated the charter. Being “relatively new” was not an acceptable excuse per charter:
    o1s1n wrote: »
    All users of this forum are required to read and understand these rules before putting an item up for sale. If you start a new thread, it will be taken for granted that you are familiar with all the rules. "I didnt know that was a rule" is not a valid excuse and will not stop your thread being closed and you being banned.

11. No "bumping" - Bumping is keeping your own sale thread active at the top of the thread list by posting empty or non-informational posts...

Please do not continue to bump your own thread every day. You may be banned for this.

DECISION POINTS
    • You were responsible for your account, its security (password), and anything posted through its use per boards.ie Terms of Use guidelines.
    • The SOVIET KILLJOY user name had been used to thread spoil per charter.
    • This thread spoiling occurred at the same time that one or more thread spoiling posts occurred, which contributed to the trashing of the thread, and a disruption of the forum.
    • In addition to this, by your own admission (and our muppet check), your computer had also been used with the AntiFacist user name to spam our site.
    • Ultimately, you now claim that you were not responsible for your account, its password, or your computer, yet my interpretation of the spirit and intent of the boards.ie Terms of Use guidelines would suggest otherwise.
    • Consequently, I cannot in good faith reverse your ban and give you access to the forum.
    This Cmod review of your DRP has been completed.

Do you request a review by Admin, or should this DRP be closed? Please advise.

I don't care if you are going to make me beg to have my account unbanned, I think its ridiculous that I had to wait this long just to hear that you won't unban me. I have barely been on this site a month and made no attempts at thread spoiling nor will I again, you make it seem like I was the one who was spamming that forum when in fact I was not, I apologized and explained myself. Let me put it this way, if your car was stolen and used in a robbery do you think the gardai would arrest you claiming you were responsible for the vehicle? I doubt it, my p.c was accessed with out my consent which is essentially illegal, a crime was committed against me, and although I am not going to make legal precedings against the individuals who are responsible, I would state that this was an act of stupidity not on my part but by a third party, this could happen to just about anyone, yes if you will not unban me then forward this to an admin. I am not here to play games with anyone. I find your judgement most unfair and if this is your spirit towards boards.ie users, and if this is how you represent boards.ie then I don't know what the future holds for you and this site. This is exactly why mt two former friends used my p.c to spam you guys in the first place, as both of them were unfairly banned for minor offences, it is not my business and I don not support them, but I find your judgement very harsh, biased and quite honestly I am not pleased. Please forward my case to an admin, unless you are going to have the sense to unban me. I can only hope that if you find yourself in my situation at one point in time that you will not be dealing with injustice and a group of unbiased people who are determined to make things hard for you, despite your efforts to renew your good name.

And furthermore, you quoted the charter on how I bumped my threads, which is a bannable offence, however the charter states that the moderators may choose to ignore this at their own discretion, however the part you deliberately did not quote was that bumping may be tolerated to avoid violating another charter rule which states no double posting, and the charter says do not bump every day and you clearly stated that I bumped 4 times on 4 different days. So I have reason to believe that you quite simply want me banned and will use anything in your power to keep me banned, everyone on airsoft adverts has bumped and it never warrants a permanent ban, so if you want to ban me for a few days for that please do, however it is you that should re-read the charter as I did several times with regards to bumping, I only bumped to avoid having to double post and I was never cautioned for it, therefore I do not see that as a valid excuse.

...yes if you will not unban me then forward this to an admin.

REQUEST

Would the Admin please review this DRP per the request of SOVIET KILLJOY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Looking into this.

• Advertisement

Thank you. By the way when I signed up I said I was responsible for my password and account, not my I.P address or my P.C, whoever made the "AntiFascist" account agreed to similar but that person was not me, so realistically I can be blamed for the one thread spoiling comment that was made on this account and for bumping 4 times on 4 different days. I know many people on Boards.ie many have been temporarily banned for thread spoiling and bumping, but to be permanently banned for 4 bumps and 1 comment is unfair. Even though it wasn't me I will accept a temporary ban for the thread spoiling comment and as for the bumping that was done to avoid double-posting which if I had done would have warranted a ban anyway. Please consider that, as Blackswan did not and I believe I am being unfairly treated. I thank you for your time in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

The Airsoft forum is ... well it's a tough place to Mod. Your actions are the kind of muppetry that makes it worse. Wailing that you didn't know the rules doesn't really fly when these rules are given to you as soon as you sign up. It's also politeness to familiarise yourself with the lay of the land before you jump in with two feet for your own gains.

By your own admission your friends took over your boards account, you said this in the very first post, and as Black Swan has pointed out your account is your responsibility.

I'm reducing your ban to one month, but any further hassle from your account or an account on an associated IP and there will be little or no sympathy should you receive a harsh, perhaps permanent, ban.

Resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement