Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To go to Oz or not...

Options
  • 06-06-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey,

Looking for some advice if possible...

I spent a year on exchange at the University of Melbourne from 2007-2008 and since then it has always been in the back of my mind to go back. I studied engineering over there and then went back to studying in UCD again before graduating.

I have been working in London pretty much since I graduated as a structural engineer and have just about 3 years experience at the minute.

Part of me wants to go back, but I don't want to back and bumm about. I have seen Australia when I was there and have stayed in the hostels and seen the crowd that lives out of them. I want to stay there, and hopefully get a job in engineering with a view to getting sponsored and staying there for 4-5 year or who knows.

At the minute I have a really good job in London, and quite a nice lifestyle, but there is always that thought in the back of my head that says do it. Go!

Does anyone have any advice re: structural engineering jobs in Australia?

For me my options are either a work holiday visa or else trying to get a job here in London with a Australian firm, and then try and transfer over with them.

Does anyone have any advice on a reasonable amount of money typically required to bring over with you.

Thanks

Niall

Advertisement