Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs scary reaction to nettles

• 06-06-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to all...
    Walking the dogs at the river earlier and the council have cut all the nettles with strimmers and left them all where the fell, dogs were running around, met a friend for a chat our dogs were playing around and my loon goes running like mad all over the place, friends kid chased him, they ran about.
    All of a sudden the dog bolts and runs way further than normal, won't come back and starts falling about. I ran after him, he couldn't stand and was falling all over, coordination gone, panting and wide eyed...I panic and thought he had a stroke or fit or hurt his spine, carried him back to car, little dog wimpering and howling beside me.
    Luckily the vet was still open and vet was on his way, he took a good look and said dog was in shock, and it was a reaction to the nettles:eek:
    Hystemine (sp) overload makes them appear drunk and can send them into shock.
    Dog is fine, got a shot and is sleeping it off, seems better, can walk fairly well now but I have to watch him for 24hrs.
    Just wanted to warn everyone really, all my years of pet ownership and I never saw this before, and its the time of year for the strimmers on grass verges etc, take care near nettles!

Advertisement