Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary School jobs

• 06-06-2012 10:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

going into 2nd year of primary teaching course and was just thinking ahead and wondering what kind of things help when looking for a job when I finish

Is more emphasis placed on the results of exams and teaching practice and that kind of thing or is past experience like helping with sports teams, coaching courses done etc more important

also for work experiences during the summer is it better to do something with children like helping at a summer camp than working in a bar or a supermarket or is past work experience even important given that everyone will have had experience while on teaching practice

strange questions i know but just curious about it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I would say any type of experience with children would probably be more beneficial than bar work, in saying that you could say the bar work shows you are competent at dealing with difficult staff and could use these skills with parents etc etc.

Teaching practice is very important for your first job, I got offered jobs in schools Where I did my TP and also in one where I hadn't done it but the principal knew my TP principal.he had given me a good reference, so make good impressions...

Also your final report which is based on 2nd and 3rd year reports are usually important for getting a job, I remember my final grade being one of the first questions interviewers would talk about. Also, my friend's dad who is a principal Said he always rings up
    For the final report.

Having good grades also help but personally I felt it was teaching practice that really made the difference with getting a job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

One thing that I can say having completed a B.Ed programme recently is that your TP school principal is nearly more important than your TP supervisor. If you can at all, especially if in a smaller school, get to know them. At the end of the day the principal gives out jobs, not your supervisor.

I think you already know the answer to your summer job question. Which would look better on the Standard Application Form - 'experience working with Let's Go, including drama, sport etc.', or 'cleaning glasses, serving customers'? I'm being a tad flippant, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Being able to help with the choir or band is more important than results, to a certain point. Good results are a great help, but it's the added extras that will get you places. Ideally you'd have good results as well as music/sport/drama/ICT experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

thanks for the advice
    appreciated!!

Advertisement