Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

• 06-06-2012 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

15 hours and 19 minutes lads, we can do this.

I'm personally terrified. If I don't see a bit of Larkin or Plath or some of that deception and role of women I'm fecked. :o Ah well, be grand yeah?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Plath they say, be grand I say...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Well I've only learnt three poets, so if either Plath, Kavanagh or Heaney dont come up I am absolutely screwed.

I am sound for hamlet, learnt three character questions, three themes and the role and dramatic effect of ghost.

As for conparitive, I am aiming to cram as much in tomorrow morning as I can, i actually have no work done for it.

So all in all, i reckon I'l be sound. Meet ye's on the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

The pubs will be packed tomorrow evening, haha.

I'm actually looking forward to the Comparative. Thank you, Markus Zusak for such an interesting novel to write about. *bows*

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Hamlet, have Importance of soliloquies, Role/importance of women and false appearances vs. reality learned off. Might go over the significance of subplots (polonious), few bullet pointers be grand (actually thinking of it now, i literally used the term "ah you'll be grand" twice in my P1... for comedic humour.. hope the examiners find it funny :D )

Comparative, have nothing done so far, planning on doing in in the morning. I know the texts well but have always struggled with the questions :/

Poets.. Heaney, Plath, Boland might look over Rich too...

STRESS

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gallad123

Before: Screwed
    After: Screwed!

• Advertisement

Gallad123 wrote: »
    Before: Screwed
    After: Screwed!

All in all - Double Screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

The Role of Women/Deception
    Plath or Rich
    GV&V

and I'll be sorted... not likely to happen though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

I have Rich, Plath and Boland learned off
    I'm fairly set for comparative, especially V+V
    however I am utterly screwed for hamlet. I'm planning on learning Deception, solilquies, role of women and Hamlets delay tomorrow.
    The stress of it all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Role of Women
    Heaney (maybe Plath)
    LG

I'll be Happy out

SlyBacon93 wrote: »
    I have Rich, Plath and Boland learned off
    I'm fairly set for comparative, especially V+V
    however I am utterly screwed for hamlet. I'm planning on learning Deception, solilquies, role of women and Hamlets delay tomorrow.
    The stress of it all :(

http://www.shmoop.com/hamlet/ Look through the themes they cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Plath or Rich
    GV&V

That's weird... That's EXACTLY what I have learned!! Guess were in the same boat if any of these don't come up.
    If "false appearances" came up, is that the same as deception/ dissimulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Vetton wrote: »
    I'm actually looking forward to the Comparative. Thank you, Markus Zusak for such an interesting novel to write about. *bows*

You got to do The Book Thief for your Comparative?! Argh, I'm so jealous! Love that book! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Geo10 wrote: »
    That's weird... That's EXACTLY what I have learned!! Guess were in the same boat if any of these don't come up.
    If "false appearances" came up, is that the same as deception/ dissimulation.

At least I know I will not be the only one having a silent nervous breakdown should they not come up. And I'm not sure... I think false appearances is more like Claudius being all 'Hey Hamlet, I love you like a son' but secretly thinking 'I MUST ELIMINATE YOU' whereas deception is all the various characters scheming/stabbing each other in the back?

At least I know I will not be the only one having a silent nervous breakdown should they not come up. And I'm not sure... I think false appearances is more like Claudius being all 'Hey Hamlet, I love you like a son' but secretly thinking 'I MUST ELIMINATE YOU' whereas deception is all the various characters scheming/stabbing each other in the back?

That's arguable, but the quotes would be similar, so if you know them, you can fit them into either question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Plath or Rich
    GV&V

Think you could be right in your prediction, hope Heany comes up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Please Plath or Rich just not Boland. I've studied those three.

Role of women(really want this badly) / Appearance vs reality / Madness.

General vision and viewpoint.

My perfect paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

perfect paper would be: "is hamlet a hero" . . literary genre and larkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Plath/Larkin/Kinsella
    Deception/Women/Hamlet's Character
    GVV or Theme & Issue

Be graaaaaaaaaand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Kinda wished I learned a sample answer on plath.
    I know her poetry inside out like but just afraid I wont deliver it right.

Petrified that a question I dont know will come up for Hamlet ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Plath all the way!or kinsella would be solid to, i could maybe handle heaney......the comparative?be graaaaaaand,il do whatever isnt literary genre!hamlet could be tricky though,anything to do with women or that deception would be good!either way il end up writing pages of utter tripe!'you jig you amble and you lisp,you nickname gods creatures and make your wontoness your ignorance' using that quote regardless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Plath/Heaney/Larkin
    Hamlet/Women/Deception/Soliloquies
    Vision & Viewpoint

Hope the questions are alright.. Good luck everyone:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Really hope Kinsella comes up.

For Hamlet; Deception/Appearances vs. Reality, or Gertrude/Ophelia would be alright.

Screwed for the comparative, don't think I'll remember any of it :\

• Registered Users Posts: 8 xEtnisa

Could someone post a few most important Hamlet quotes ? I know Hamlet well but i dont know any quotes and sadly cant find my book.

Also heaney is my hope , comparative cant really answer it , my teacher has done no work with us on it.

This is going to be a long night :p Just finished Engineering now I need to start studying for Paper 2 , although I do know the basics for each of them.. So a few read throughs of the Key Notes sections and should be sorted... Plath better come up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

If Plath or rich don't come up I will fo so bad because i'm relying on my poetry section to bring me up and I don't know any othe poet!
    We only did GVP... I don't even know the theme/ issue of my 3 texts!! So again if that doesn't come up.... :eek::confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I've learned Plath and now I'm looking over Rich and Larkin
    If anything else comes up instead of GV&V I'm screwed...think I'll quickly read over theme so I'll have an idea of what to write though
    And for Hamlet...I just learned Hamlet (really well...hope he comes up), women, Claudius and Polonius...so really I'm sorted for deception as well cause once you know the key characters, you can kinda form the idea in your head..hopefully:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

xEtnisa wrote: »
    Could someone post a few most important Hamlet quotes ? I know Hamlet well but i dont know any quotes and sadly cant find my book.

Also heaney is my hope , comparative cant really answer it , my teacher has done no work with us on it.

A little more than kin, and less than kind. -H
    Why seems it so particular with thee? - G
    How weary, stale, flat and unprofitable seem to me all the uses of this world! - H
    Fraity, thy name is woman! - H
    to thy own self be true - P
    I do not set my life at a pin's fee.. - H
    So art thou to revenge when thou shalt hear -Ghost
    The seprent that did sting thy father's life now wears his crown - Ghost
    most seeming-virtuous queen - Ghost
    That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain - H
    As I perchance hereafter shall think meet to put an antic disposition on - H
    I doubt it is no other but the main; His father's death, and our o'erhasty marriage - G
    Though this be madness, yet there is method in't - P
    I am pidgeon-liver'd, and lack gall - H
    Get thee to a nunnery. Why wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners? - H
    O! what a noble mind is here o'erthrown - O
    Nor what he spake, though it lack'd form a litle, was not like madness - C
    Madness in great ones must not unwatch'd go - C
    O! What a rash and bloody deed is this! - G
    honeying and making love over a nasty sty -H
    I essentially am not in madness, but mad in craft - H
    He's loved of the distracted multitude - C
    he, being remiss, most generous and free from all contriving, will not peruse the foils - C
    I lov'd Ophelia: forty thousand brothers could not, with all their quantity of love, make up my sum - H
    They are not near my conscience, their defeat does by their own insinuation grow - H
    For he was likely, had he been put on, to have prov'd most royally - Fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Regarding seamus heaney, does ANYONE know what the message of 'The Underground'?
    Id say themes in it would be, love, youth... ugh idk

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oldcrescent

is heaney one of the poets for next years leaving certs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

is heaney one of the poets for next years leaving certs?

Nope but hes back on the year after.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement