Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Namlub wrote: »
    Weird how Kavanagh doesn't seem to have been that popular here, and half the people in my room did him

I think teachers focus on ether the women or the irish poets first and then do a few extra so it depends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

I hate being crippled by a terribly slow right wrist, never stopped writing throughout and only managed 14 pages - which you nearly doubled :pac: Be grand.

well as a lot of my friends constantly tell me, it's quality not quantity and examiners will get supposedly get annoyed at you if you write more, and be less inclined to give you a good grade :/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

Mixed paper. Liked the Comparative and Poetry, thought Hamlet was tough but think I did ok in it.

Did:
    • General Vision Q.2- 8 Pages
    • Hamlet Q.1- 4.5 Pages
    • Rich Q.2- 6 Pages
    • Unseen Q.2- 1 page

Hoping for the B1 at least hopefully!

8pages on comparitive?????? 6 pages on rich???????? really now?

Either you have MAAAAAAAAASIVE writing or...

you completely learned off excessively long handouts and didn't stop writing for one moment during the exam, simply reaming it off by heart, not taking a minute to think or actually answer the question being asked....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

padocon wrote: »
    Namlub wrote: »
    Weird how Kavanagh doesn't seem to have been that popular here, and half the people in my room did him

I think teachers focus on ether the women or the irish poets first and then do a few extra so it depends.

Kavanagh is an Irish poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Eek just after realizing I might not have fixed a mistake in my kinsella essay. I never used the word 'agree' in the essay, but I continually said the things in the statement were true. I hope that doesn't matter too much :S
    I never once said agree either, I don't think it matters too much. In fact the only time I did say it was when I was disagreeing - it asked did you agree, so I hope that disagreeing isn't wrong. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 nayrneleh

Couldn't believe neither Heaney or Plath came up after everything I had read and heard about them.
    Luckily I had Kavanagh prepared as well, the question on him was relatively easy.
    The Hamlet question on madness was a bit dodgy but I managed to bluff five pages on it.
    Vision and viewpoint was a godsend of a question. Overall I'm pretty happy with that paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

ah balls, i didn't explicitly say whether i agreed or not in my kinsella qustion, will i lose a lot of marks? i implied i agreed though...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

The people who used deception = corruption stuff would of had to have explained the lies and deception is hand in hand corruption in the opening or conclusion.

Yeah I'm sure I linked the deception to corruption on most of my points so should be ok.. I reckon I could get 30/60 (I'm not the epitome/great example of self-belief when it comes to exams:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

The two GV+V comparitive were the worst phrased question's I have ever seen. They asked in the past tense... i.e- you had to write in the past tense to some degree... absolutely despicable questions, wrote 3 pages on question A and 2 and a half on Question B.... Can't even remember what I wrote or weather I hit the damn marking scheme.... just a balls of a feckin question.

As for the rest well My I managed to use my A1 answer on Hamlets antic disposition bud did a terrible conclusion and wrote a very good kavanagh answer which sould be around 40-45/50. I didnt do the unseen poem, I never do it.

I'm surprised people aren't giving out about the GV+V questions, am i the only one who thought they were disgusting??

Looks like I'm on for a B3 in English which isn't bad but i really need the points, maybe if the standard of other people's answers are bad I may get a B1/A2. I got an A in the JC.

Went into it with nothing learned off, came out happier than most that had stuff learned off. Expecting an A or high B. GOML. 8)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Laurasteel

Ahhhhh someone please help?? What was the g v+v question I have a feeling I forgot to answer the question???? PAnic attttttack.. The 2 part question btw

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

I basicially said his madness was fansiating because of his other characterics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I think I made up a word. will it matter? I wrote a synonym above it so they wouldn't care really would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mcmxci

I just got home from doing paper 2. I think it was OK. I need to get a C but nothing spectacular. I did the literary genre question. I hope I gave enough. I don't feel like it gave room to show much knowledge of the actual events of the texts.

I can't believe the number of pages some of you say you've written. I sincerely hope that brevity really is the soul of wit!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

so to the people who did literary genre first question... what aspects did u write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Laurasteel wrote: »
    Ahhhhh someone please help?? What was the g v+v question I have a feeling I forgot to answer the question???? PAnic attttttack.. The 2 part question btw

Gimme a second, I've the paper in my bag. I'll edit this post in a moment.

---

"Various aspects of texts can provoke a range of emotional responses in readers which aid the construction of the general vision and viewpoints."

(a) With reference to one text on your comparative course, what aspects of the text shaped your emotional response and helped you to construct the general vision and viewpoint of that text?

(b) With reference to two other texts on your comparative course, compare the aspects of these texts that shaped your emotional response and helped you to construct the general vision and viewpoints of these texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Same

smithy77 wrote: »
    The people who used deception = corruption stuff would of had to have explained the lies and deception is hand in hand corruption in the opening or conclusion.

Yeah I'm sure I linked the deception to corruption on most of my points so should be ok.. I reckon I could get 30/60 (I'm not the epitome/great example of self-belief when it comes to exams:p)

If you got good results on a previous question on lies and deception you'd be expecting much more. How many characters did you use? I used 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

waiting4 wrote: »
    so to the people who did literary genre first question... what aspects did u write about?

Conflict, narrative style, timing and layout, unexpected, mystery. Bit of a hodgepodge of previous essays!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mcmxci

Went into it with nothing learned off, came out happier than most that had stuff learned off. Expecting an A or high B. GOML. 8)

Well done :) That was my approach. I worked on understanding the prescribed stuff rather than banking on topic X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

I basically just said it's fascinating because we never really know why he chooses to act mad. I couldn't think of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

for my lit gen all i got was 2 pages on narrative style.. :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ajireland95

WestIRL wrote: »
    8pages on comparitive?????? 6 pages on rich???????? really now?

Either you have MAAAAAAAAASIVE writing or...

you completely learned off excessively long handouts and didn't stop writing for one moment during the exam, simply reaming it off by heart, not taking a minute to think or actually answer the question being asked....

I got 8 as well... and 5 and a bit for kavanagh. Although in fairness my writing is gigantic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Did No one find the GV+V questions horrible????

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

Darren.993 wrote: »
    I basically just said it's fascinating because we never really know why he chooses to act mad. I couldn't think of anything else.

I didn't really understand the stupid question.
    How many pages did you write?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Has Hamlet's madness ever appeared on the exam?
    Is the exam set before or after the mocks?

You must absolutely be punching yourself if you didn't do it:L

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Laurasteel

It's ok I thought that there was something about the character development but I just wrote about the ending, the violence, the relationships and key moments in my texts and the effect they have on my understanding of the v+v.. Only studied Plath and she didn't come up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

H HAMLET – William Shakespeare
    Answer all of the questions.
    1. (a) What does the ghost of Hamlet’s father tell Hamlet when he appears
    to him on the battlements of Elsinore Castle? (10)

(b) What is your opinion of Gertrude?
    Support your answer with reference to the text. (10)

2. Explain what you find most interesting about Claudius. (10)
    3. Answer ONE of the following: [Each part carries 30 marks]
    (i) ‘Ophelia is treated cruelly by those around her.’
    Do you agree with this statement regarding the treatment of Ophelia by
    either Hamlet or Polonius? Base your answer on your knowledge of
    the play

^ it's moments like this that i wish i did ordinary level. :L ughh oh well. :pac:
    i think i did alright in the madness question today. :) but look at them questions!? O: so simple fml. :L ah well no more english for the rest of me life. :D hopefully. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Dapics wrote: »
    The two GV+V comparitive were the worst phrased question's I have ever seen. They asked in the past tense... i.e- you had to write in the past tense to some degree... absolutely despicable questions, wrote 3 pages on question A and 2 and a half on Question B.... Can't even remember what I wrote or weather I hit the damn marking scheme.... just a balls of a feckin question.

As for the rest well My I managed to use my A1 answer on Hamlets antic disposition bud did a terrible conclusion and wrote a very good kavanagh answer which sould be around 40-45/50. I didnt do the unseen poem, I never do it.

I'm surprised people aren't giving out about the GV+V questions, am i the only one who thought they were disgusting??

Looks like I'm on for a B3 in English which isn't bad but i really need the points, maybe if the standard of other people's answers are bad I may get a B1/A2. I got an A in the JC.

I thought the first one was good, didn't really read the second. Had to spend a while planning it out but I liked that twist on the question a lot more than having to just regurgtiate the general answer that I prepared before. I just used parts of the one I did the other day but centered it around the character and what I though of them etc in relation to the points I had in my other essay. It took ages though. I think it's because those questions were too predictable and they changed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

waiting4 wrote: »
    Narrative style, general structure, imagery and symbolism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement