Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Kavanagh is an Irish poet.

I know but what I mean is that a good few teachers would have covered the women poets in detail. Kavanagh is not one of them. Like we did Rich, Plath and Boland in detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Dapics wrote: »
    Did No one find the GV+V questions horrible????

Yup thought they were atrocious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

M&S* wrote: »
    My reasoning behind this is there's people out there (Ruairí Quinn) who think that they understand of the education system is better than anyone and think that once in power they can fire out several changes to courses (material that comes up and course content).
    The SEC have been sending out hints for years (well before Quinn) that they intended to gradually make the papers less predictable. If anything, Quinn is parroting the SEC, not the other way round.

Basically, they were sick of people cutting courses to the bare bones, relying on predictions, learning off a few prepared essays (often more or less provided to them by the IoE or other grinds schools) for their chosen poet or whatever), and regurgitating them on the day.

That's not education. Nor is it valid assessment.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but sympathy for anyone upset over their paper to-day, but there's little enough point in blaming the SEC for actually doing their job properly.

And remember that the poetry section is a relatively small part of the overall mark. If you did a good paper otherwise, and a good paper yesterday, you're still in line for a very decent grade! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Laurasteel

(a)
    (b)
    With reference to one text on your comparative course, what aspects of
    the text shaped your emotional response and helped you to construct the general vision and viewpoint of that text? (30)
    With reference to two other texts on your comparative course,
    compare the aspects of these texts that shaped your emotional response and helped you to construct the general vision and viewpoint of these texts.

You can write about practically anything no?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Happy with the paper was one of the people wanting Rich to come up know her poems of by heart :) and felt so lucky when i seen the hamlet question as last night something in me told me to look over corruption. Comparative was my worst wasn't to happy with it but whats done is done

Comparative 6 pages
    Hamlet corruption 4 and half pages
    Poetry Rich 3 and half pages would have liked to have done more but was happy with the essay
    Unseen only managed a page :/ hope it was enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    "Various aspects of texts can provoke a range of emotional responses in readers which aid the construction of the general vision and viewpoints."

(a) With reference to one text on your comparative course, what aspects of the text shaped your emotional response and helped you to construct the general vision and viewpoint of that text?

(b) With reference to two other texts on your comparative course, compare the aspects of these texts that shaped your emotional response and helped you to construct the general vision and viewpoints of these texts.

Thought it wasn't too bad just had to realise there was 2 parts integrated into the question (Shaping emotional response and vision & viewpoint)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

I didn't really understand the stupid question.
    How many pages did you write?
    Just a little over 4 pages. My essay is full of the same lines being repeated over and over again. I think I did more waffling than actually referring to the play. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarkyba

I did terrible like, I had barely any quotes and i wrote in like a really informal style and....ugh didn't know annnnyything on Rich, comparative was thrown together.....shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

If its any consolation guys, the consensus is it was a very hard paper

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0607/breaking60.html

Dapics wrote: »
    Did No one find the GV+V questions horrible????

Yes, the one about the central characters was awkward kind of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Summary of my test:

Single Text: Waffle point waffle waffle waffle point waffle waffle waffle

Comparative: Point waffle waffle "similarly..." waffle waffle point waffle waffle

Unseen: Good answer, short & concise

Larkin: Waffle waffle waffle *arm drops dead*

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mcmxci

The paper's being analysed now on 2XM Radio: http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/2xm/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aineeeeee

Woah, woah, woah. That was a paper and a half! Couldn't believe the poets. I'd learned all 5 but was kinda ready for Pleaney...nearly cried with happiness at Rich though, I love her and I'm well able to write on her :)
    I did the 70 mark vision/viewpoint, thought it was very similar to the 2010 question - I'm just worried I picked a weird central character for Dancing At Lughnasa. I did Chris, I'm sure it'll be ok...
    Did madness in Hamlet which was wonderful! Lots of quotes, a big chunk on women and a discussion of "the three Hamlets"...
    Feel terrible for anyone depending on Pleaney though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

studied plath and boland, oh well ran out of time for poetry anyway, only did 1 poem on rich, gvvp was grand and didn't study any specific theme in hamlet cause if you know a fair bit about it you can twist and waffle your way through the rest did the madness one

hamlet 6 1/2 pages
    comparative 4 pages
    unseen poetry 1 3/4 pages
    poetry 1/2 pages

i'm happy though cause i'm only aiming for a c2 or about that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Chuchoter wrote: »
    If its any consolation guys, the consensus is it was a very hard paper

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0607/breaking60.html

Hopefully that means I may just pip the A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm liking Pleaney :P We should call this 'The Pleaney Incident'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

To those who didn't end up with a good poetry essay: you'll be fine. Last time I did the LC, I ran out of time, didn't touch the comparative question and came out with an a2. Don't worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RandomLad

Pile of ****e of a paper!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 devilxangel

I basicially said his madness was fansiating because of his other characterics

I wrote 4 pages of how his source of madness came from the ghost's request for vengence, but because of Hamlet's procrastinating and philosopical nature, he fell into a sense of madness and I found this interesting because Hamlet experiences different changes and develops into a man of action in the end. Basically waffled. :L

degausserxo
    To those who didn't end up with a good poetry essay: you'll be fine. Last time I did the LC, I ran out of time, didn't touch the comparative question and came out with an a2.Don't worry about it!

If you didnt do the comparative your down 17.5 percent, how did you get an A?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

People shouldn't be worried about Hamlet corruption being the same as deception.

Deception can often be apart of how things become corrupt, but being corrupt is about abusing power and things like deception and betrayal tend to be ways people go about abusing power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I'm liking Pleaney :P We should call this 'The Pleaney Incident'

More like 'the Pleaney Insufficiency' =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I said his madness changes him from the hero we expected him to be to something close to a villain. I also said I thought he was actually mad as a result of his father being killed and some of his actions were actually mad and not just a facade.

My beef isn't with predictability... I feel the SEC is going the right way.... but I mean tha GV+V questions forced you to write in the past tense!! Which is almost impossible to do successfully... I am annoyed, those two questions were not fair... FYI, I didn't learn off pre-prepared answers for the GV+V, I just learned a structure and a few quotes along with a bit of a mind map.

SEC: That was not right, what you did. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

waiting4 wrote: »
    so to the people who did literary genre first question... what aspects did u write about?

Genre of social realism, balance and objectivity, literary techniques, dialogue and storyline.

My facebook news feed is hilarious right now, someone just threatened to show Plath the true meaning of 'a mouth just bloodied' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liamduffy1994

What did any of ye say for your favourite image in the Unseen Poem?

I said the 'momentous first taste of fruit' and about how it painted in my minds eye the bright, vivid, colourful tones I associate with fruit, it was such waffle...
    Said that too! Said about the biblical allusion to the fruit in adam and eve aswel though! Said about sensous imagery and all that jazz aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Guys 2 quick questions-

1) what are the minimum marks one can get for hamlet?

2) if you cross out a question, will it still be marked?

I took a pyschological and very unique approach to his character... i deliberately interpreted his antic disposition in a certain way to make sure my answer stood out... I can guarantee the examiner will have never seen an answer like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

aineeeeee wrote: »
    Woah, woah, woah. That was a paper and a half! Couldn't believe the poets. I'd learned all 5 but was kinda ready for Pleaney...nearly cried with happiness at Rich though, I love her and I'm well able to write on her :)
    I did the 70 mark vision/viewpoint, thought it was very similar to the 2010 question - I'm just worried I picked a weird central character for Dancing At Lughnasa. I did Chris, I'm sure it'll be ok...
    Did madness in Hamlet which was wonderful! Lots of quotes, a big chunk on women and a discussion of "the three Hamlets"...
    Feel terrible for anyone depending on Pleaney though. :(

well if you think chris is bad, i picked the radio as no character was quite as important

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement