Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

I think it sounds tough enough actually!

I predict people will lose marks mainly in relation to the "fascination of the audience" part of that question, and also concerning the methods employed by Shakespeare in conveying corruption in the other question.

Way to easy to just say: Hamlet was/was not mad because a,b,c.
    Or: there is corruption in the play as can be seen at a,b,c.
    And not actually properly address either question....

had extra time to read over mine and there was alotta ^this is fascinating
    ^i was fascinated by... etc scribbled in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

Rich, first choice poet :D
    GV+V, didn't think it was all that awful. Maybe I messed it up though! Hamlet - madness, wasn't going near that nasty Q2. Unseen poem was relatively handy.

Comp - 2700 words
    Poetry - 1900 words
    Hamlet - 1700 words
    Unseen Poem (20 mark q) - 600 words

hahhahahhaha

600 words for your unseen? Three solid pages did you write huh? Three solid pages for something the exam papers says should be less than a page?? hahahahaha.

2700 word comparitive? 13.5 pages at 200 words a page??/ Hahahahahahhahahahaa oh dear jesus people like you really do sprout some ****. Hopefully that talent shined through over your 34.5 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Kelix wrote: »
    you had time to count the words you wrote? I understand counting pages like I did, 20 pages, but...the words :confused:

Nah I type. Just highlighted it. A shade under 7000 in total, thats all rounded

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darryl_griffin

I finished my comparative on this note ...

.....showed the ability of the human spirit to overcome tremendous difficulties and find fulfilment and happiness through friendship in spite of physical ability.

best sentence I ever wrote!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Firstly, don't be jealous of what others can do just because you clearly can't :rolleyes:

And no, my writing is not massive and I really don't have to explain myself to anyone like you!

Cheek!

We'll see who 'didn't take a minute to think' or 'answer the question' when I get an A1 in August..

YOLO <3
    A1 in Englizzh
    Bit obnoxious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

WestIRL wrote: »
    8pages on comparitive?????? 6 pages on rich???????? really now?

Either you have MAAAAAAAAASIVE writing or...

you completely learned off excessively long handouts and didn't stop writing for one moment during the exam, simply reaming it off by heart, not taking a minute to think or actually answer the question being asked....

Firstly, don't be jealous of what others can do just because you clearly can't :rolleyes:

And no, my writing is not massive and I really don't have to explain myself to anyone like you!

Cheek!

We'll see who 'didn't take a minute to think' or 'answer the question' when I get an A1 in August..

YOLO <3
    A1 in Englizzh

>mfw you get an A2
    >mfw I have no face

Just kidding. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

hahhahahhaha

600 words for your unseen? Three solid pages did you write huh? Three solid pages for something the exam papers says should be less than a page?? hahahahaha.

2700 word comparitive? 13.5 pages at 200 words a page??/ Hahahahahahhahahahaa oh dear jesus people like you really do sprout some ****. Hopefully that talent shined through over your 34.5 pages.

I type actually. Have a fast typing speed. Don't really need to lie on the internet, not getting anything for it :L

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

My overview of the paper:

1. Shall be known as the paper that destroyed the careers of so many young bright students.
    2. Pleaney-Gate saga shall now become infamous
    3. I'm guessing it will be marked very easy.... a lot of people seem to have done pretty bad, especially with regards to the marking scheme.
    4. It's time to study maths paper 1 so lets get going!
    5. Don't worry if you feel you did bad, alot of the time you will do better than you think.

Gid' Lak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Namlub wrote: »
    Bit obnoxious

Bit presumptious to assume someone learnt everything off :rolleyes: I was simply making a point like.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rebekahx

hahhahahhaha

I'm pretty sure in another thread The Handsome Devil said he used a laptop, which would make sense if he did write that much.

Edit - Yep, he just said it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Bit presumptious to assume someone learnt everything off :rolleyes: I was simply making a point like.. ;)

I was talking about the other guy heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

I had an awful panic attack about five minutes before the exam, sat down and my mind was a blur. I literally could not think of any poet, any quotes - it was horrendous! I kept trying to start the Hamlet question but nothing seemed to be working. I don't think I properly started writing until roughly 2:20. Complete waste of time there! I spent way too long on Hamlet, spent about an hour on the comparative and before I knew it only had twenty minutes left for the entire poetry section. I ignored the tightening in my chest so I just wrote out the most solid page and a bit on Rich I could during that time, scribbling for about half a page in points format for the last five minutes. Left out the unseen altogether. Fairly unhappy with how I did, but I suppose it can't be helped. Moral of the story - do not stress yourself out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

Hamlet - Did the 'Madness' one and got 4 pages. Think it went ok.
    Poetry - 'MON THE RICH <3 Got 5 pages on her and the question was LOVELY! Genuinly sorry to all the Plath/Heany bankers :( A lot of my friends were GUTTED.
    Comparative - Lit. Genre Q1. Mainly bluffed my way through it, HATE comparative. Oh well.

Edit: and I like the unseen! Couldn't have been nicer tbh that one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

padocon wrote: »
    What did you think was the beautiful lie?

i actually loved the unseen poetry. :)
    i did the 1 a and b
    Wrote all about my first impression of the title: said lying is basically nashty and then how my impression changed as i read through the poem. lying makes everything more interesting and changes certain situations and all this sorta waffle! :D while including techniques. :) was very proud
    and then i wrote about the image of the baby's fist clenching onto a finger for the b part.
    wrote a good 3 pages altogether (and i have small writing) to make up for my awful prescribed poetry answer. :pac: ughh hopefully i got the full 20 marks! O:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

To those who didn't end up with a good poetry essay: you'll be fine. Last time I did the LC, I ran out of time, didn't touch the comparative question and came out with an a2. Don't worry about it!

witchcraft O_O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I think I did the comparative right. I used Michael in "Inside I'm Dancing" and Alec in "Babylon" and I didn't know what character to pick for Dancing at Lughnasa so I kind of just said the "The Mundys'" . I answered it like a normal general vision question though. Like in the format. was that what you were meant to do? for the 70 marks one.
    I did it the way I did a previous comparative though which was a good answer so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Today's paper was a sign of what is too come. The SEC are out to get us.
    Not really.

We all thought the same after Paper I last year. Long story short, the marking scheme made it so that it all worked out somewhat fairly in the end.

When it comes to English Paper II, it's not the SEC's fault if people relied on dodgy predictions and cut corners. They give you two years to cover the poetry course. Studying five poets in two years ought to be manageable for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

What exactly were peoples points for the Hamlet Madness essay?

I dealt with how there are elements of Hamlet that are truly mad and others that are put on, and its fascinating for the audience because we have to figure out which is which.
    Then I dealt with how it played into his role as an avenger and procrastination (his plans are confused and frantic-mad)
    Then I dealt with how his madness plays into his treatment of Ophelia, and we have to decide if its out of madness or an attempt to save her from grief when he dies.

Do those sound like good points? I thought it was good but now I'm not too sure. The radio said it was hard to get an essay out of :S

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pinkapple18

Kelix wrote: »
    you had time to count the words you wrote? I understand counting pages like I did, 20 pages, but...the words :confused:

S/He typed it...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

I think I did the comparative right. I used Michael in "Inside I'm Dancing" and Alec in "Babylon" and I didn't know what character to pick for Dancing at Lughnasa so I kind of just said the "The Mundys'" . I answered it like a normal general vision question though. Like in the format. was that what you were meant to do? for the 70 marks one.
    I did it the way I did a previous comparative though which was a good answer so I'm not sure.

Exactly what I did except I used Michael for DAL, seeing as he is the narrator and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Was sooo happy to open paper and see Adrienne Rich... really proved those pompous morons telling me I was stupid for studying 1 poet wrong!!:D
    Equally happy GVP came up as never did other 2 ones.
    Hamlet Q was AWFUL. I waffled on for ages about things like how audience are entertained by his madness (basically making stuff up), how it's enthralling to see logic and train of thought in his rants, the juxtaposition of his madness and great intelligence (just an excuse to use the to be or not to be quote), how his madness reveals his true qualities (ruthless murderer, misogynist)... and more waffle and completely irrelevant quotes.
    I waffled on and on in unseen poetry ( Personal Response)... I was intrigued by this, captivating by that, beguiled by so and so... and sticking in a few random quotes!
    I really have no idea how I got on in English. I got an A1 in mock. I didn't get comparative finished today (only wrote 3 pages) bit I did that in my mock and I nearly got full marks in that section so I'm not too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KieranCork

I panicked and just sort of said as much as I could.

I kept saying 'my positive attitude towards [protagonist] enhanced the V+V of the text in relation to [topic]' over and over.

Hamlet question of Madness was great, I just said it let him be witty and scheming and whatnot, and let to audience-drama

Poetry, did Kavanagh. I blanked on all the names to Larkin's poems, and hadn't done Kinsella or Rich, so I had to do Kavanagh... my least favourite poet beforehand and I sang his praises! More fond of him now, actually xD

• Registered Users Posts: 11 piperroche

Lads, Plath OR Heaney didn't come up.... why o why o why :(
    The rest of the paper was nice though :) Did anyone else, for Hamlet Q1 say how his madness isn't the only thing that fascinates us, we are also fascinated by his procrastination, his treatment of women and his intelligence, his wit and his use of words? :)
    Comparative GV and V was different but relatively ok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I said that as such it wasn't the lie itself that was beautiful, but the world of possibilities the lie opened up for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

how much did people write for the second hamlet on corruption and what did ye write about?? i spend half an hour on it (time plan went out the window) and i got 2 pages out of it. but it was 2 pages of rubbish

Cheek!

YOLO <3
    A1 in Englizzh

So you wrote 20 pages then? 4000 words? 20 pages in 200 minutes? 10 minutes per page. And that's without any sort of planning.

Jesus that must have been good quality, considering that the Exam papers advise a total of approx 12 pages. Wow your work won't look completely learned off at all, it will have a great air of originality to it I presume. I mean, we all know that the great works of literature were written at one word every three seconds FLAT.

You dodged my question whether you had learnt off essays or not, FYI that's why SEC didn't put Plath or Heaney on the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Exactly what I did except I used Michael for DAL, seeing as he is the narrator and all.

Aw I couldn't remember which was the main I might lose marks on that not mentioning Michael or any main character. I just realised I forgot to mention him or only about Michael being Gerry and Chris's son. I kind of did it normal like all I said was Alec is the central character and Michael is the central character in ... then answered it normally. I think I did it fine otherwise maybe about a B standard not A this time around . I did about 6 pages and still finished early.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Chuchoter wrote: »
    What exactly were peoples points for the Hamlet Madness essay?

I dealt with how there are elements of Hamlet that are truly mad and others that are put on, and its fascinating for the audience because we have to figure out which is which.
    Then I dealt with how it played into his role as an avenger and procrastination (his plans are confused and frantic-mad)
    Then I dealt with how his madness plays into his treatment of Ophelia, and we have to decide if its out of madness or an attempt to save her from grief when he dies.

Do those sound like good points? I thought it was good but now I'm not too sure. The radio said it was hard to get an essay out of :S

i hope you included how those points entertained the audience! :pac:
    i did pretty much the same points, :) but i put in another about how if he were truly insane in the prayer scene he might have actually killed Claudius and that it was very interesting to see his thought process in his soliloquies and all this sh*te.. if that even makes sense!? O: ugh just want the result alread tbh! O: wonder what i got. O: O:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

finality wrote: »
    I said that as such it wasn't the lie itself that was beautiful, but the world of possibilities the lie opened up for the child.

Same.

• Advertisement

I type actually. Have a fast typing speed. Don't really need to lie on the internet, not getting anything for it :L

Wow... the teachers in my retard of a school never informed me we could type.... What about spell check then? How is that fair? Type writer? (LOL)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement