Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

WestIRL wrote: »
    You dodged my question whether you had learnt off essays or not, FYI that's why SEC didn't put Plath or Heaney on the course.

He learned about 9000 essays because he got up at 5am everyday to study. Fair enough I suppose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

waiting4 wrote: »
    so to the people who did literary genre first question... what aspects did u write about?

i just said dialogue and symbolism/imagery

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

Rich, first choice poet :D
    GV+V, didn't think it was all that awful. Maybe I messed it up though! Hamlet - madness, wasn't going near that nasty Q2. Unseen poem was relatively handy.

Comp - 2700 words
    Poetry - 1900 words
    Hamlet - 1700 words
    Unseen Poem (20 mark q) - 600 words

Oh, and I type my leaving.

can i just ask why it is that you type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

Hamlet: 5 pages, Corruption <3 Love corruption!
    I talked about it manifesting itself on the level of the plot (espionage, murder etc), the characters (Claudius is the source, Polonius, Hamlet) and the language and imagery. Is that okay? I was happy about it at the time, but now that I see people saying they didn't touch it because of the word "techniques" I'm worried...

Comparative: 5 pages, LG, one part
    Thought that was really nice, just needed to twist it and put lots of emphasis on the main characters. (Narrative Voice, Narrative Structure, Plot and Characterisation)

Unseen Poem: 1 and a bit pages, Personal Response
    Thought that was okay, I was really proud of using the reference to the "fruit" as showing how similar it is to the loss of innocence of Adam and Eve.

Poetry: Rich, 5 pages
    Was hoping for Plath and Heaney, but I could do every poet on the paper bar Kavanagh. I feel it took me a while to get into it, and my last page was really rushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

Chuchoter wrote: »
    What exactly were peoples points for the Hamlet Madness essay?

I dealt with how there are elements of Hamlet that are truly mad and others that are put on, and its fascinating for the audience because we have to figure out which is which.
    Then I dealt with how it played into his role as an avenger and procrastination (his plans are confused and frantic-mad)
    Then I dealt with how his madness plays into his treatment of Ophelia, and we have to decide if its out of madness or an attempt to save her from grief when he dies.

Do those sound like good points? I thought it was good but now I'm not too sure. The radio said it was hard to get an essay out of :S

I pretty much wrote something similar! About how the audience were always kept on their toes never being quite sure if he was feigning madness, or actually becoming mad. My points were kind of scattered, but I had a fair bit about Gertrude, how he always seems to lose his cool with her (don't worry, I mentioned nothing oedipal, before people start jumping down my throat!) and has this kind of emotional unpredictability he has dealing with her like he does in his soliloquies... At least when he's talking **** to Polonius and the like he's somewhat reserved with his emotions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Had a very good Paper 2 but now I'm worried I put the wrong exam number down! Of all the things!

I do remember looking over it and it seemed fine, but I hate the way stupid things like that will bother ya until August. Triple checking exam numbers from now on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭n0ak

Well depends what is horrible for you's?? Explain please !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

So you wrote 20 pages then? 4000 words? 20 pages in 200 minutes? 10 minutes per page. And that's without any sort of planning.

Jesus that must have been good quality, considering that the Exam papers advise a total of approx 12 pages. Wow your work won't look completely learned off at all, it will have a great air of originality to it I presume. I mean, we all know that the great works of literature were written at one word every three seconds FLAT.

You dodged my question whether you had learnt off essays or not, FYI that's why SEC didn't put Plath or Heaney on the course.

The exam papers don't advise any number of pages :/

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

I used the word madness so much today that is has lost all meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I wrote about Narration and Dialogue because they were the aspects we'd prepared. I basically said that Narration showed the characters in different lights thereby making them memorable. For dialogue, I said that it showed their thoughts, emotions and feelings and made their characters memorable. I reworded an essay I had gotten a b1/a2 on so one hopes that one succeeded. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Chuchoter wrote: »
    What exactly were peoples points for the Hamlet Madness essay?

I dealt with how there are elements of Hamlet that are truly mad and others that are put on, and its fascinating for the audience because we have to figure out which is which.
    Then I dealt with how it played into his role as an avenger and procrastination (his plans are confused and frantic-mad)
    Then I dealt with how his madness plays into his treatment of Ophelia, and we have to decide if its out of madness or an attempt to save her from grief when he dies.

Do those sound like good points? I thought it was good but now I'm not too sure. The radio said it was hard to get an essay out of :S

that's so different to how I did it o:
    I just I said why hamlet must adapt an antic disposition in the play (false appearances)
    how he goes about doing so - language/gestures/soliloquies , and how these develope his character and make him more complex and interesting for the audience!
    added in loadsa scenes and quotes aswell and finished off with how we're fancisnated because he remains ambiguous until the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Geo10 wrote: »
    Was sooo happy to open paper and see Adrienne Rich... really proved those pompous morons telling me I was stupid for studying 1 poet wrong!!:D
    Well it's easy to say that now but if she didn't come up you'd have been fcuked so I don't see what's 'pompous' about it. Meh.

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Guys 2 quick questions-

1) what are the minimum marks one can get for hamlet?

2) if you cross out a question, will it still be marked?

1) 0

2) it depends if you wrote another answer and didn't cross it out or not. if you left it crossed out and wrote no more it might be marked, if you redid it, no

rkeano5 wrote: »
    Studied 4 poets. I should be so lucky, eh? None of them.

Just so pissed off at myself atm.

awt that absolutely sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

can i just ask why it is that you type?

Sure, I have dyspraxia and an issue with muscle tone in my forearms and wrists
    Wow... the teachers in my retard of a school never informed me we could type.... What about spell check then? How is that fair? Type writer? (LOL)

See above, its an accomodation. And its turned off, though some people have those marks excluded (so they're graded out of 360 for english, for example). I had to get OT reports, its not something I get on a whim like

• Registered Users Posts: 11 clairekitteh

Well, thank god thats over. And why is everyone saying the Comparative questions were easy? I thought they were SO specific! I didn't even understand what the first GVV one was asking for haah.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Seems like not many did corruption for Hamlet? I thought it was very similar to deception, I mean both revolve around dishonesty no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KieranCork

Sure, I have dyspraxia and an issue with muscle tone in my forearms and wrists

See above, its an accomodation. And its turned off, though some people have those marks excluded (so they're graded out of 360 for english, for example). I had to get OT reports, its not something I get on a whim like

I also got to type up my exam for this exact same reason! You have to have special permission, it's all arranged in advance.

In my case I was in a seperate room on my own with an assigned supervisor just for me, because I was typing. It has it's advantages (editing!) and disadvantages (save your work!!)

Seems like not many did corruption for Hamlet? I thought it was very similar to deception, I mean both revolve around dishonesty no?

Yeah, its just as soon as I saw the word "techniques" I was almost already starting the other one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Are you Serious??

Yep:( I fell unsuspectingly into the Pleaney trap, then studied by two favorite poets. Unfortunately they were Boland and Frost. ''O cursed spite''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

What's funny is my teacher suggested us to streamline and focus on Plath.
    Hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

finality wrote: »
    So you wrote 20 pages then? 4000 words? 20 pages in 200 minutes? 10 minutes per page. And that's without any sort of planning.

Jesus that must have been good quality, considering that the Exam papers advise a total of approx 12 pages. Wow your work won't look completely learned off at all, it will have a great air of originality to it I presume. I mean, we all know that the great works of literature were written at one word every three seconds FLAT.

The exam papers don't advise any number of pages :/

my educate.ie ones do. They say it at the start. Plus my teacher has been saying it for the last 2 years.

KieranCork wrote: »
    I also got to type up my exam for this exact same reason! You have to have special permission, it's all arranged in advance.

In my case I was in a seperate room on my own with an assigned supervisor just for me, because I was typing. It has it's advantages (editing!) and disadvantages (save your work!!)

Oh yeah I've a separate centre too, probably annoy people to hear typing the whole time. And yeah, editing work is nice. My handwriting is so messy anyway, when I've to cross stuff out the page just becomes disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Yeah, its just as soon as I saw the word "techniques" I was almost already starting the other one :p

But really I mean techniques can be character development, soliloquy, dramatic introduction to corruption etc. It's nothing new! Well that's the type of stuff I said any way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I loved the second comparative. Similar to my mock one, but asking for comments on emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

I was happy enough with Paper Two. I managed to get a number of good points on "Hamlet is crazy, but we still like him", and Literary genre came up like I wanted it to. Out of the four poets I studied, two came up. In particular, I was hoping Rich would come up and was absolutely delighted when she did. I think I did OK in my essay about Rich, though I only wrote four pages.

I wrote a bit too much for the unseen poetry, which meant I had to rush to finish the paper on time. I liked the unseen poem we got - one the part A of the first question I answered that the title referred to the fact that all art is essential a lie. It is usually made up, but people enjoy art so therefore it's beautiful. Well, I phrased it somewhat better than that.

As for Plath and Heaney not coming up.... I feel bad for the people, but I honestly think you were taking a huge chance by not studying more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

Well, thank god thats over. And why is everyone saying the Comparative questions were easy? I thought they were SO specific! I didn't even understand what the first GVV one was asking for haah.

I literally wrote out my normal GV&V question with added sentences like, "and this certainly showed the positive aspects of *central character* as it...". Don't know if it meshed as well as it could have, but sure I made an attempt anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

my educate.ie ones do. They say it at the start. Plus my teacher has been saying it for the last 2 years.

I always felt like those guidelines were way too short, 4 pages for comparative?

But really I mean techniques can be character development, soliloquy, dramatic introduction to corruption etc. It's nothing new! Well that's the type of stuff I said any way :)

I suppose you're right. I did probably jump to the other too quickly, but it was a nicer question for me anyway even when looking after. Hamlet was probably my worst answered question anyhow, so I'm not too fussed. You could talk a fair bit about madness I felt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Learn't one...Larkin...don't worry..nearly everyone in my year was hysterically crying and didn't even attempt it..did you attempt it?

Oh course, I managed to do a question on Kavanagh. The standard however may have been lacking...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement