Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

rkeano5 wrote: »
    Yep:( I fell unsuspectingly into the Pleaney trap, then studied by two favorite poets. Unfortunately they were Boland and Frost. ''O cursed spite''

did you attempt the 5th one you had done in school?

edit: woops never mind. :L haha well done :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KieranCork

Oh yeah I've a separate centre too, probably annoy people to hear typing the whole time. And yeah, editing work is nice. My handwriting is so messy anyway, when I've to cross stuff out the page just becomes disgraceful!

Same same! Mine was actually sort of funny, the room I was in has pipes in the ceiling that got very loud when the heating was turned on the keep the main exam centre warm, and then some dude started hammering something outside. My supervisor just looked at me and said "Well, that's annoying! Save your work! Erm... good luck!"

Thankfully both noises stopped abruptly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I thought the paper was...meh, for lack of a better word. The poetry was grand, considering I was backing Plath and Larkin. Did the Literary Genre on shaping characters, and that was just pure waffle, considering we never did anything about techniques as such. I was happy enough with Hamlet, did the madness one, though I know its far from getting full marks.
    I know a load of people in my exam hall sounded like dying whales when they opened the paper and didn't see Heaney or Plath. It's just a repeat of two years ago with the Boland fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 motorola1337

Didnt do too bad but left out the poetry essay cuz i was relying on plath and spent the last 2 weeks studying her poetry off by heart....

Did the madness questiom om hamlet, think i did brilliant...wrote 5 pages, GV+V did the a+b question...at the end of the exam i noticed i wrote more for a than b and its the b one that carried 40 marks =/....did excellent on the unseen...

but i knew from the start after opening the paper that i would leave out poetry essay....so it gave me time to plan our good answers to all theo ther questions....did well in paper one too....got B3 in the mocks..not a hope of that now though after this brutal paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FunnyUserName

Larkin you absolute BEAUT! So happy he came up, I had a weird feeling about Plath it just felt too good to be true. I feel sorry for those who only studied Plath on one hand, but on the other sore, right-hand that's why you shouldn't count on predictions :rolleyes:

As for comparitive, 4 and a quarter pages..raging I didn't reach 5 or 6! God damn you weak point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

I suppose you're right. I did probably jump to the other too quickly, but it was a nicer question for me anyway even when looking after. Hamlet was probably my worst answered question anyhow, so I'm not too fussed. You could talk a fair bit about madness I felt

Yeah I was surprised there wasn't two questions very different from each other, say the role of women and character of Claudius. Both these questions could really center around just Hamlet and Claudius. Got around four pages on it anyway hopefully a B :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 clairekitteh

I literally wrote out my normal GV&V question with added sentences like, "and this certainly showed the positive aspects of *central character* as it...". Don't know if it meshed as well as it could have, but sure I made an attempt anyway!

Fair play! Haha, I don't think I could have done it with all the points and essay plan I'd studied anyway, was much much more specific than the Q I did last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Geo10 wrote: »
    Was sooo happy to open paper and see Adrienne Rich... really proved those pompous morons telling me I was stupid for studying 1 poet wrong!!:D
    If you had chosen Plath or Heaney (or even both) to take your gamble on, you might be singing a different tune, n'est-ce pas?

In fact, someone on this thread studied 4 poets, and still got none of them ... and the statistical chances of that are quite small.
    WestIRL wrote: »
    So you wrote 20 pages then? 4000 words? 20 pages in 200 minutes? 10 minutes per page. And that's without any sort of planning.

Jesus that must have been good quality, considering that the Exam papers advise a total of approx 12 pages. Wow your work won't look completely learned off at all, it will have a great air of originality to it I presume. I mean, we all know that the great works of literature were written at one word every three seconds FLAT.

You dodged my question whether you had learnt off essays or not, FYI that's why SEC didn't put Plath or Heaney on the course.
    Wow... the teachers in my retard of a school never informed me we could type.... What about spell check then? How is that fair? Type writer? (LOL)
    Enough with the sniping and the aggressive posting style, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

Namlub wrote: »
    my educate.ie ones do. They say it at the start. Plus my teacher has been saying it for the last 2 years.

I always felt like those guidelines were way too short, 4 pages for comparative?

yeah well I mean you wont really have that much time to do THAT much more. Like I did 4.5 myself in GVV long Q part.

yeah well I mean you wont really have that much time to do THAT much more. Like I did 4.5 myself in GVV long Q part.

My LG is about 7.5 pages long :S And it's all on topic...I hope. I basically rewrote out my mocks one but put in "The use of this technique makes ____ in ___ a memorable character."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

If you had chosen Plath or Heaney (or even both) to take your gamble on, you might be singing a different tune, n'est pas?

In fact, someone on this thread studied 4 poets, and still got none of them ... and the statistical chances of that are quite small.

Enough with the sniping and the aggressive posting style, thanks!!

What does nest pass mean? Is that another language?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Saoirs5

Im really scared about the rest of my exams after seeing the English and Home Ec exams..both were really difficult!I am a victim of the Pleaney incident but its my own fault as I should have learned more than just Plath but I knew enough on Larkin to waffle my way through a fairly okay essay..I thought the GVV questions were really quite difficult and I struggled to engage them to the question..Hamlet was my biggest disaster as I attempted the corruption essay even though it was all about techniques and I did not write about one..overall im pretty disappointed with my English paper and I dont think im going to get the B2 I was hoping for..gutted..

Geo10 wrote: »
    What does nest pass mean? Is that another language?
    It's what happens when Air Traffic Control fecks up, and the birds have to go round again before landing in the nest! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pinkapple18

Hamlet, have Importance of soliloquies, Role/importance of women and false appearances vs. reality learned off. Might go over the significance of subplots (polonious), few bullet pointers be grand (actually thinking of it now, i literally used the term "ah you'll be grand" twice in my P1... for comedic humour.. hope the examiners find it funny :D )

Comparative, have nothing done so far, planning on doing in in the morning. I know the texts well but have always struggled with the questions :/

Poets.. Heaney, Plath, Boland might look over Rich too...

STRESS

I only hope you did infact look over Rich :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ismiseaoife

I did the first Hamlet question, the first GV+V question & Larkin..
    it was a tough enough paper, the questions were fairly more specific than other years but people who only learned one or two poets need to get over it.. no offence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

It's what happens when Air Traffic Control fecks up, and the birds have to go round again before landing in the nest! :cool:

It's n'est-ce pas, n'est-ce pas? :p

I stand corrected! :P

Luckily I'm not doing my LC French, eh? (and that I learned Spanish, not French, back in the day! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Goobtard

M&S* wrote: »
    I don't care what anyone says not putting up Plath or Heaney was unfair.

Whats unfair about it, if your lazy and only learn 2 poets its only "fair" that you do worse than someone who worked and learned all 5, and don't start bitchin about how theres too much on the course cos be the sounds of it you didn't bother learning half the course anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JadeLC2012

Hamlet, did corruption.. basically went on about Claudius and Polonius being corrupt, decieving, manipulative.. By 'techniques' i put in Shakey's use of the images of sickness and death to describe Denmark? that's a technique right?!

GV&V was grand I think.. was stuck for time only got about three pages in total for 70 marks.. err

One of the people who focused on Plath and heaney, had boland and frost up my sleve too, but to no avail.. probs did okay, but i was sickened.

Anybody else do the personal response to the unseen? Found it pretty challenging.. answer didn't reflect the poem, not much reference made..

Woe is me.. thank Plath its over!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ismiseaoife

Hamlet - 4 pages
    Comparative (Inside I'm Dancing, Never Let Me Go, A Doll's House) - 7pages
    Poetry (Larkin) - 5 pages
    Unseen - 2 pages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

Heaney was my man :( I had other poets ready, Plath, Kinsella and Riche but some kind of divine inspiration struck me and made me do the Kavanagh question. He was always my favourite but I thought there was no way he would come up so I hadn't actually revised him since the mocks

I actually found that question to be quite nice. Looks slightly intimidating, but I basically went poem by poem, did one paragraph about how rural Ireland is dying and another about language and imagery and stuff. Except I said "On Raglan Road" was an everlasting love story that we will never forget :p

Think I did the unseen poetry completely wrong. Couldn't tell if the poet's name was a guys or girls so I decided that the boy was the poet =S

Did the corruption Hamlet question and did the split gvvp comparative question.

raindodger wrote: »

Think I did the unseen poetry completely wrong. Couldn't tell if the poet's name was a guys or girls so I decided that the boy was the poet =S

I couldn't tell either, I have Pugh down as a girl. And, after a bit of research, ie google, Sheenagh Pugh is a girl :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

I'm going to say I got incredibly lucky today regarding poetry. I did quotes for Kinsella and Larkin, was about to start Plath, but decided not to. And the ONLY reason I did K&L was that I wanted to write an essay on a poet different to everyone else. Basically it was everyone saying they were doing Heaney and Plath that steered me in the right direction! Anyway... its only 8% apparently, so everyone shouldnt be majorly affected by it! Cheer up people! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

What techniques did people say for the Hamlet corruption question?

I said technique of Antic-disposition and self-deception presented by Hamlet, diseased imagery by Marcellus and Close friends/family to Hamlet's deception: Rosencrantz, Guidenstern and Gertrudes which makes bigger impact on Corruption. Something along those lines, just thought maybe i wasn't answered the question properly:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Hamlet - 4 pages
    Comparative (Inside I'm Dancing, Never Let Me Go, A Doll's House) - 7pages
    Poetry (Larkin) - 5 pages
    Unseen - 2 pages

You wrote more for poetry than Hamlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JadeLC2012

smithy77 wrote: »
    What techniques did people say for the Hamlet corruption question?

I said technique of Antic-disposition and self-deception presented by Hamlet, diseased imagery by Marcellus and Close friends/family to Hamlet's deception: Rosencrantz, Guidenstern and Gertrudes which makes bigger impact on Corruption. Something along those lines, just thought maybe i wasn't answered the question properly:confused:

I said about the images of disease ''unweeded garden'' and all that, then i was pretty stumped so i went on about Claudius and Polonius being decietful and manipulative leading to the unwholesome moral state of Denmark?? was a tough question.. very difficult to hit it bang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

JadeLC2012 wrote: »
    I said about the images of disease ''unweeded garden'' and all that, then i was pretty stumped so i went on about Claudius and Polonius being decietful and manipulative leading to the unwholesome moral state of Denmark?? was a tough question.. very difficult to hit it bang on!

Yeah it was confusing, I said about antic-disposition but I linked it as a technique which I think I can get away with:p

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Namlub wrote: »
    I always felt like those guidelines were way too short, 4 pages for comparative?
    I filled the exam book and two pages of the extra with nothing learned off, just an understanding for all the things I was writing about. It's not terribly difficult to maintain a train of thought and continue writing if you have an idea of what to write about. There's no need for hate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

My Hamlet question when put beside the people heres will look like crap... For techniques I just explained how the corruption started and said Claudius uses a web of destruction to catch his victims on the web or something like that... And causes the corruption and death of 7 people at the end of the play :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

RedTexan wrote: »
    I filled the exam book and two pages of the extra with nothing learned off, just an understanding for all the things I was writing about. It's not terribly difficult to maintain a train of thought and continue writing if you have an idea of what to write about. There's no need for hate

That's all terribly interesting but what's it got to do with my post?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement