Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Namlub wrote: »
    That's all terribly interesting but what's it got to do with my post?

Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

My Hamlet question when put beside the people heres will look like crap... For techniques I just explained how the corruption started and said Claudius uses a web of destruction to catch his victims on the web or something like that... And causes the corruption and death of 7 people at the end of the play :confused:

it wont look as bad as mine, which was 2 pages long, each paragraph summarised the previous paragraph which simply said claudius is the source of corruption... then i wrote almost a page on rosencrantz and guildenstern
    :mad:dont know what i was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Got a question regarding the comparative studies

Instead of referring to myself, I just wrote the reader's view but wrote seven pages and everything was close enough to being correct I think. How many marks will I lose for this and its the GV V question btw. I said this to my English teacher but she said I stand to lose 5 marks from the 21 they mark me out on which means I stand to lose a bit more on the rest such as coherence etc

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

May I just reiterate again how terrible the two feckin GV+V questions were! Absolute thrash!! Practically forcing you to answer in the past tense.... absolute disgrace of a question.

Cop On SEC... I respect what your trying to do and feel its the right approach to take but damn! Seriously?! Ask questions that are answerable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

For my techniques for creating a world of corruption in Hamlet, I said he does it through the plot (murder, espionage etc), through the characters (Claudius the source, Polonius and Hamlet) and the imagery. Are these valid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I can't remember did I answer it in the past tense or not.. Will a lot of marks be lost?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I always felt like those guidelines were way too short, 4 pages for comparative?

It's pretty much the amount I write.

Hamlet 3.5
    Comparative 4
    Unseen 1.5
    Poetry 2.5

I'm...efficient :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

it wont look as bad as mine, which was 2 pages long, each paragraph summarised the previous paragraph which simply said claudius is the source of corruption... then i wrote almost a page on rosencrantz and guildenstern
    :mad:dont know what i was thinking

I think I was mind f*cked in the whole thing... I was same, I kind of made a paragraph about previous one... Didn't even tell the full story of Hamlet, never introduced R or G ... Would have been so much better if it said ''Discuss the role of Hamlet in the play Hamlet'' or discuss the role of anyone..

At least that way it's straight to the point and we don't have to sit there wasting minutes thinking ''What the f*ck is going on''...

I done brilliant in Paper 1 (IMO) and GV and V went perfect too... Also unseen poem went good... Just the god damn Poetry and Hamlet has probably caused me to drop 2-3 grades now...

I think I was mind f*cked in the whole thing... I was same, I kind of made a paragraph about previous one... Didn't even tell the full story of Hamlet, never introduced R or G ... Would have been so much better if it said ''Discuss the role of Hamlet in the play Hamlet'' or discuss the role of anyone..

At least that way it's straight to the point and we don't have to sit there wasting minutes thinking ''What the f*ck is going on''...

I done brilliant in Paper 1 (IMO) and GV and V went perfect too... Also unseen poem went good... Just the god damn Poetry and Hamlet has probably caused me to drop 2-3 grades now...

Few naggins, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

I feel terribly lucky right now. I didn't believe in the Pleany stuff so I only studied Rich, Boland, Frost and Plath to ensure I was covered. Other wise I roughly wrote 4.5 pages for Hamlet, 5 on comparative and 4 on Rich, so things are looking up for Maths paper 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

finality wrote: »
    It's pretty much the amount I write.

Hamlet 3.5
    Comparative 4
    Unseen 1.5
    Poetry 2.5

I'm...efficient :P

Exactly the same amount I wrote.

Brevity is the soul of wit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Bit presumptious to assume someone learnt everything off :rolleyes: I was simply making a point like.. ;)

You've probably coursed yourself now at the same time :pac:

But in fairness from the amount of work you've put in you probably deserved it, think I might have scraped an A2 myself but not getting my hopes up! :P

RedTexan wrote: »
    I filled the exam book and two pages of the extra with nothing learned off, just an understanding for all the things I was writing about. It's not terribly difficult to maintain a train of thought and continue writing if you have an idea of what to write about. There's no need for hate

You should know that it is not about quantity but it's about quality...

Dapics wrote: »
    Few naggins, be grand.

LMAO me and my mate have just been saying this to each other during exams :p Well said ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

My Hamlet question when put beside the people heres will look like crap... For techniques I just explained how the corruption started and said Claudius uses a web of destruction to catch his victims on the web or something like that... And causes the corruption and death of 7 people at the end of the play :confused:

Well, its slim chances you'll be marked against people on here isnt it? Its people in your year you need to worry about! But sure, it doesnt matter, at the end of the day its just a matter of whether your examiner thinks you explained what you wrote effectively and whether or not you backed up your reasons well or not! Dont worry, I'm sure its grand! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

page count
    comparative:6
    Hamlet:4.5
    Poetry:5
    Unseen:1.5
    my....****ing... wrist.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Done it today as well.

I don't see the point in studying questions beforehand? I just read the summaries and stuff :D Has never let me down, never got under 80% on an English test :cool: There's no point in stressing over these things! what happens, happens!

I was secretly hoping for Plath though in all honesty :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

WestIRL wrote: »
    my educate.ie ones do. They say it at the start. Plus my teacher has been saying it for the last 2 years.

Regardless, the SEC who set, run and correct the exams do not have any such length suggestions.
    They suggest people answer the questions asked rather than fixate on a particular number of pages.

In the GV&V 2 part question I've been hearing people saying it had to be answered in the past tense, I can't remember whether I did or not, will many marks be lost if its not answered in the past tense?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

smithy77 wrote: »
    In the GV&V 2 part question I've been hearing people saying it had to be answered in the past tense, I can't remember whether I did or not, will many marks be lost if its not answered in the past tense?:confused:

well it was like, ''how did this shape your view of the gvv''
    so you'd need to say something along the lines of ''this was sad. so it made me view the gvv as being sad''
    but i wouldn't say its the be all and end all, rather just a minor detail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

does anyone know what the techniques for the first dancing on lughnasa question are? i just guessed it because i hadn't done either of the questions before

smithy77 wrote: »

Well I dunno man, My interpretation of the question was that due to the way it was phrased it had to be answered to some degree to the past tense....

Loads of people in my year just wrote out a standard vision and viewpoint answer and related the impact of emotions on themselves and how it contributed to the texts in some way but that aint technically answering the question they asked you.

Don't worry, the comparitive was very hard, it will be marked easier. If you feel you did ok, odds are you did well, if you feel you did excellent then odds are you may have misinterpreted the question.

Hope this helps.... answering in the past tense is very hard, you have to constantly change adjectives to suit your phrasing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lynchy01

Right so, Ive been looking at the Paper..Which i made a complete mess of and answered wrong. But for the comparative study they say you can use 'Hamlet, A winters tale'..
    I assumed i could use hamlet there..So boom i started comparing hamlet to other texts..
    After looking online it seems they made a complete balls of things. There is no such thing as 'Hamlet, A winters tale'. The only thing that exists is 'Hamlet, THE winters tale'..
    When you google Hamlet a winters tale you get stuff to do with the single text, But if you google Hamlet The winters tale you get what your looking for..
    They made a balls of this and didnt even acknowledge it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Lynchy01 wrote: »
    Right so, Ive been looking at the Paper..Which i made a complete mess of and answered wrong. But for the comparative study they say you can use 'Hamlet, A winters tale'..
    I assumed i could use hamlet there..So boom i started comparing hamlet to other texts..
    After looking online it seems they made a complete balls of things. There is no such thing as 'Hamlet, A winters tale'. The only thing that exists is 'Hamlet, THE winters tale'..
    When you google Hamlet a winters tale you get stuff to do with the single text, But if you google Hamlet The winters tale you get what your looking for..
    They made a balls of this and didnt even acknowledge it

You can use Hamlet in the comparative, just as long as you didn't already use it as your single text. They didn't mean "Hamlet, A Winter's Tale" they meant "Hamlet" OR "A Winter's Tale"

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

That's all terribly interesting but what's it got to do with my post?
    I'm not really sure how to work this place, I was supporting your argument in relation to a previous post someone had posted to you. I apologise for any confusion

Dapics wrote: »
    Well I dunno man, My interpretation of the question was that due to the way it was phrased it had to be answered to some degree to the past tense....

Loads of people in my year just wrote out a standard vision and viewpoint answer and related the impact of emotions on themselves and how it contributed to the texts in some way but that aint technically answering the question they asked you.

Don't worry, the comparitive was very hard, it will be marked easier. If you feel you did ok, odds are you did well, if you feel you did excellent then odds are you may have misinterpreted the question.

Hope this helps.... answering in the past tense is very hard, you have to constantly change adjectives to suit your phrasing!

Thanks for that, it does help. I thought I did well enough. I just hope I can get 50/70 but I don't know now. I'm sure I answered the question correctly I used the aspect of the central character succeeding/failing in achieving fulfillment and the emotional reponse from that and the vision and viewpoint from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lynchy01

leaveiton wrote: »
    You can use Hamlet in the comparative, just as long as you didn't already use it as your single text. They didn't mean "Hamlet, A Winter's Tale" they meant "Hamlet" OR "A Winter's Tale"

You serious?? So i may actually get a few marks for it? If so youve made my day..And i can start studying for geography and maths..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

You should know that it is not about quantity but it's about quality...
    The more you write the more chance you have of finding some quality, this way has generally served me well and I don't feel I was bluffing and or buffing. If you can talk about a lot of things which I was just so lucky to been able to do today I can't see any reason to do otherwise.

Did anyone do the Dancing At Lughnasa question?... I was so tempted by it with the male characters question... But I had no real understanding of the play to full potential...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Lynchy01 wrote: »
    You serious?? So i may actually get a few marks for it? If so youve made my day..And i can start studying for geography and maths..

If you answered on Hamlet as your single text I'm not sure how it would work, whether you'd be docked marks or just not awarded any. But if you did a different single text and used Hamlet in the comparative it should be fine. My school doesn't do Hamlet as the single.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement