Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

RedTexan wrote: »
    The more you write the more chance you have of finding some quality, this way has generally served me well and I don't feel I was bluffing and or buffing. If you can talk about a lot of things which I was just so lucky to been able to do today I can't see any reason to do otherwise.

But if they have to go through pages to find the ''quality'' it may impact on result... Anyways I don't know what you wrote but personally I don't actually see the point in writing as much as you wrote...

But hey thats just my 2 cents :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

..I'm starting to doubt my answer slightly after reading some of these posts..
    WAS there a specific technique that should be referenced in the answer..?!
    The theme of mystery continues..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

We had a truly classic moment in our exam centre.

She told us not to open our papers (given out at 5 to 9) until 9, for obvious reasons.

Some bright spark sneaks a peek, and very audibly, but gently, whispered "...NO...".

Que the whole centre cracking up.

Alas, all us Platskyites and Heaneyites had the smiles wiped off out faces, I salvaged a 5th year answer for Rich.

Thank you Mr Richard Langford, Chairman of the SEC, for a truly, truly joyous paper that has no doubt left thousands of students across this country feeling like twats.

jenifa wrote: »
    ..I'm starting to doubt my answer slightly after reading some of these posts..
    WAS there a specific technique that should be referenced in the answer..?!
    The theme of mystery continues..

No specific one, just use the ones you think suit the text?... There really is no right or wrong answer... Maybe if you misinterpretted ''techniques'' then there may be a problem... But other than that...............................

Be grand....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

Heya guys, this is gonna sound really weird but my teacher gave me this prayer to say every morning during the exams, i said it this morning and at around half one i got the oddest feeling that i should read my kinsella question before i went in, so i did, and low and behold who was on the paper but kinsella. okay so my answer wasnt great because i hadnt studied him in detail the last few days but if i hadnt of read it i would have went in only with plath and heaney and wouldnt have had a hope in hell. i'm putting it down to the little prayer this morning so i thought i'd share it with you's "O great St.Joseph of Cupertino, who by your prayers, obtained from God that you should be asked at your exam the only proposition that you knew, obtain from me that I may suceed in the exams for which I am preparing. O sacred heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you amen"

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    We had a truly classic moment in our exam centre.

She told us not to open our papers (given out at 5 to 9) until 9, for obvious reasons.

Some bright spark sneaks a peek, and very audibly, but gently, whispered "...NO...".

Que the whole centre cracking up.

Alas, all us Platskyites and Heaneyites had the smiles wiped off out faces, I salvaged a 5th year answer for Rich.

Thank you Mr Richard Langford, Chairman of the SEC, for a truly, truly joyous paper that has no doubt left thousands of students across this country feeling like twats.

An absolute shambles :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lol, I can guarantee you that Dick Langford didn't see the paper before you did, let alone have anything to do with what poets appeared! :D

Lol, I can guarantee you that Dick Langford didn't see the paper before you did, let alone have anything to do with what poets appeared! :D

Ah, the old Nuremburg answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

sarahmocks wrote: »
    Heya guys, this is gonna sound really weird but my teacher gave me this prayer to say every morning during the exams, i said it this morning and at around half one i got the oddest feeling that i should read my kinsella question before i went in, so i did, and low and behold who was on the paper but kinsella. okay so my answer wasnt great because i hadnt studied him in detail the last few days but if i hadnt of read it i would have went in only with plath and heaney and wouldnt have had a hope in hell. i'm putting it down to the little prayer this morning so i thought i'd share it with you's "O great St.Joseph of Cupertino, who by your prayers, obtained from God that you should be asked at your exam the only proposition that you knew, obtain from me that I may suceed in the exams for which I am preparing. O sacred heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you amen"

I dunno, I didn't say any prayer and I also got a feeling that I should read over Kinsella this morning. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Wut?

How does the Chairman of the SEC not being aware of the contents of the English exam relate to the Nuremburg trials? Hardly a case of someone "just following orders".

Methinks the exams may be getting to your head :p

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »
    I dunno, I didn't say any prayer and I also got a feeling that I should read over Kinsella this morning. :P

Well delighted for you, but i feel that it helped me so i thought i'd share it with people!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I found an excellent way of avoiding disappointment was to cover 5 poets instead of two. Still would have loved a Heaney question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

Rich all the way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

It's hardly his fault people gambled on their LC results. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

sarahmocks wrote: »

Hey! I always say that prayer too! My dad taught me it for junior cert and I always say it before big exams. I was going to post it here on the day of my results! I love that prayer!

My driving instructor stopped by my house on tuesday and gave me one of the miraculous mary medallions, I've had it in my pocket both days and she seems to be helping me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lizardqueen_

I'd say if you learnt off essays that could have been a tricky enough exam. Thought the gen v+v questions were really awkwardly phrased but waffled on about the feelings of happiness/anger various characters made me feel in the texts (I did the two part answer). Was grand for the poetry as I learnt off all the female poets. I felt so bad for some people! Most people I knew learnt off the women and someone else but there were a few who only knew Heaney and Plath and had to scrape together some form of Rich answer. Unseen q was gorgeous, easier I think than the ones you'd get on the jc!

Eh? :P

Seriously, the members of the Board are there to set broad policy, they have nothing to do with the setting of the questions and wouldn't be shown the paper in advance.

The only people who would see the paper in advance are the Chief Examiner, the Drafter, the Setter and whoever translates it into Irish (if an Irish version hasn't already been prepared at the drafting / setting stages) and whatever staff in the SEC are involved in typesetting / editing / proofreading.

Oh, and I seem to recall that it's normal to have a couple of people nominated by the Universities view an early draft to verify that they're happy with the standard for matriculation purposes.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Hey! I always say that prayer too! My dad taught me it for junior cert and I always say it before big exams. I was going to post it here on the day of my results! I love that prayer!

My driving instructor stopped by my house on tuesday and gave me one of the miraculous mary medallions, I've had it in my pocket both days and she seems to be helping me anyway!

it's brilliant isnt it? :D yeah i have a miraculous medal one of my best friends got me in lourdes too, and a ring that belonged to my best friend! wouldnt be able to do an exam without them!

Eh? :P

Seriously, the members of the Board are there to set broad policy, they have nothing to do with the setting of the questions and wouldn't be shown the paper in advance.

The only people who would see the paper in advance are the Chief Examiner, the Drafter, the Setter and whoever translates it into Irish (if an Irish version hasn't already been prepared at the drafting / setting stages) and whatever staff in the SEC are involved in typesetting / editing / proofreading.

Oh, and I seem to recall that it's normal to have a couple of people nominated by the Universities view an early draft to verify that they're happy with the standard for matriculation purposes.

Interesting.

Infact, I'm sure it must be quite exciting to be the ones setting the papers. I know I'd go on a complete power trip:D but there seems to be some pretty darn good systems in place as regards to papers.

Is it true they're printed in Finland?:rolleyes:

Wut?

How does the Chairman of the SEC not being aware of the contents of the English exam relate to the Nuremburg trials? Hardly a case of someone "just following orders".

Methinks the exams may be getting to your head :p

They're getting to my head SO MUCH that I might just write a letter to the Irish Times saying how stressful the Leaving is...

...oh wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

What exactly should I have written there?
    Was it about writing techniques like some complicated thing?
    or just the way of writing to conjure the world of corruption in general?

I think that I completely messed up my english :c

Is it true they're printed in Finland?:rolleyes:
    If I told you I'd have to kill you! :p

(In all honesty, I don't know ... I have heard a few times that they're printed abroad all right, but I can't verify that from my own knowledge).

The systems are pretty thorough all right, but no system is completely idiot-proof, unfortunately, especially one which is as big a logistical nightmare as the LC is. Only takes one person to be day-dreaming instead of paying attention and following the guidelines, and English Paper II is given out instead of English Paper I! :rolleyes:

I'm sure QoL still has nightmares about that particular year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I think we would all know if they were printed abroad there would be war. As far as I know they are made in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jimdwyer

Fairly happy with the paper, everything was grand, Hamlet Q was a bit awkward.
    Got a semi when I saw Kavanagh in the poetry :) hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

What exactly was meant by what techniques shakespeare uses to convey the world of corruption?
    What techniques? Literary techniques? or just things like images or events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I'm sure QoL still has nightmares about that particular year! :pac:

I did one poet...he was on the old paper...and not the new one!! :( :mad:

And see guys, I'm still alive :pac:

I learnt one poet...he was on the old paper...and not the new one!! :( :mad:

I learnt 1 poet too :p How did you fare on results day in English?

I did one poet...he was on the old paper...and not the new one!! :( :mad:

And she wasn't the slightest bit stressed on the day ... >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I learnt 1 poet too :p How did you fare on results day in English?

I got an A1 :) I had a super quick look over of one more poet, Derek Walcott, before the Saturday due to every prediction saying that the 4 poets on the old paper couldn't be identical to the back up paper! Managed to scrape together a hideous essay with messed up poem titles and no quotes, which is where I lost almost all of the marks that I lost in the end, but thankfully the rest was fine! :P

Moral of the story...you will all be grand ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

ChemHickey wrote: »

I have a prayer I got in my pocket too.
    And about 3 others and all the cards I got in my bag .
    Maybe it's that or just the positive thinking, but it all seems to be going well. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement