Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I got an A1 :) I had a super quick look over of one more poet, Derek Walcott, before the Saturday due to every prediction saying that the 4 poets on the old paper couldn't be identical to the back up paper! Managed to scrape together a hideous essay with messed up poem titles and no quotes, which is where I lost almost all of the marks that I lost in the end, but thankfully the rest was fine! :P

Moral of the story...you will all be grand ;)

An A1 after all that :eek:

Theres hope for us yet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

Wilwarin wrote: »
    What exactly was meant by what techniques shakespeare uses to convey the world of corruption?
    What techniques? Literary techniques? or just things like images or events?

Please answer me or I wont fall asleep tonight :pac:

Please answer me or I wont fall asleep tonight :pac:

I just used the techniques with his use of the characters and stuff basically and his use of the ghost being a technique... I may be wrong though :confused: so don't have a clue that question just mind f*cked me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

And she wasn't the slightest bit stressed on the day ... >_>

Pffft, what stress >_>
    Theres hope for us yet !!

Of course there is! :) Now forget about English and move on to the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

I just used the techniques with his use of the characters and stuff basically and his use of the ghost being a technique... I may be wrong though :confused: so don't have a clue that question just mind f*cked me...

I wrote about Claudius' corrupted mind, the murder, using other people for own sake and stuff like that. I am ready for the worst

• Advertisement

Of course there is! :) Now forget about English and move on to the next one!

Oh Maths , if ever I was made to pass this test...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

sarahmocks wrote: »
    Heya guys, this is gonna sound really weird but my teacher gave me this prayer to say every morning during the exams, i said it this morning and at around half one i got the oddest feeling that i should read my kinsella question before i went in, so i did, and low and behold who was on the paper but kinsella. okay so my answer wasnt great because i hadnt studied him in detail the last few days but if i hadnt of read it i would have went in only with plath and heaney and wouldnt have had a hope in hell. i'm putting it down to the little prayer this morning so i thought i'd share it with you's "O great St.Joseph of Cupertino, who by your prayers, obtained from God that you should be asked at your exam the only proposition that you knew, obtain from me that I may suceed in the exams for which I am preparing. O sacred heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you amen"
    Are u my spirit or something? I went into the bathroom in school this morning 10 minutes before the test and prayed this very prayer! I have been saying it every night for the last few weeks since my aunty who is a nun sent it to me. That it is really weird as I too am putting my luck down to God. May sound stupid to some but I am convinced this is the reason!

• I cant beleive rich came up in 2008 2010 and 2012

I cant beleive rich came up in 2008 2010 and 2012

It will probably be predicted that she will come up in 2014... And then it will be Plath all over again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

It will probably be predicted that she will come up in 2014... And then it will be Plath all over again...

Ya, Rich died during the year, but then again Shamus Heany got a poetry nobel prize and he did not come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

Are u my spirit or something? I went into the bathroom in school this morning 10 minutes before the test and prayed this very prayer! I have been saying it every night for the last few weeks since my aunty who is a nun sent it to me. That it is really weird as I too am putting my luck down to God. May sound stupid to some but I am convinced this is the reason!
    biohaiid wrote: »
    I have a prayer I got in my pocket too.
    And about 3 others and all the cards I got in my bag .
    Maybe it's that or just the positive thinking, but it all seems to be going well. :)

It's great isn't it? i don't know what it does, but i always feel so relaxed after reading it! makes me think that somebody up there is looking out for me! i'm gonna keep on saying it anyway! :D

It's great isn't it? i don't know what it does, but i always feel so relaxed after reading it! makes me think that somebody up there is looking out for me! i'm gonna keep on saying it anyway! :D

Maybe I should start saying it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Odt_17

I wrote about Claudius' corrupted mind, the murder, using other people for own sake and stuff like that. I am ready for the worst

Yeah i wrote about Shakespeare creating the massy wheel effect and how this proves how corruption permeates the play at every level...literally blamed Claudius for causing it :) ..I also said the soliloquys show how corrupt actions cause Hamlet to become corrupt and we see the extent of this in the soliloquys.. Also Shakespeare used Polonius and his family as a symbol for corruption in Elsinore, I referred to how Polonius doesnt trust Laertes and sends a spy to Paris...I hope it gets me somethin!!

padocon wrote: »
    Ya, Rich died during the year, but then again Shamus Heany got a poetry nobel prize and he did not come up.

When Rich died I said to myself ''Shes coming up'' ... I was suddenly let down when people told me the papers where already made :mad:

If only they let me have my moment and I would have studied Rich and not Plath :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Biscuits.

I did all 8 poets last year, but the one I wanted to come up (Robert Frost) STILL came up. So, what lesson did that teach me?

My English teacher had done most of the poetry last year. I'm repeating now. I had to learn the poets in the few poetry revision classes and by myself. I was eager to learn Plath, I fell in love with Heaney (Follower made me cry in front of the whole class, I never responded so emotionally to a poem before). So I had Robert Frost done from last year and Eavan Boland too, I went over Kinsella's stuff a good few times and did an essay for both him and Rich, but realising I only knew 4 of her poems, I opted for Kinsella instead. I surprised myself by writing I think it was 4-5 pages. At least I got to mention Plath when talking about "Mirror in February".

But....I'm scared now. You CAN disagree with the statements right? Why is everyone trying to agree? I mean, it asks to what extent do you agree with this statement in every poetry question. I said why I did and why I didn't, referencing each Kinsella poem. And as for Hamlet! I had done the theme of corruption last year, when appearance and reality came up I manipulated it to come back to corruption, saying "the corruption caused the lies!" or something :P. But I did NOT agree that Shakespeare used "techniques" to convey a corrupted world, I said corruption was a central theme, not some aside created by whatever narrow techniques are in a PLAY. Most of us have seen a Hamlet play, and every single one is different in some way. Were we supposed to mention costume, lighting?

Maybe just, he used stage directions? :/ Dialogue? Most of the plot IS in the dialogue with Shakespeare's plays. How many characters will say "I AM MURDERED"?! Seriously. What a ridiculous question. This is their attempt to stop us from learning off essays? They're trying too hard to complicate things, so thank Jesus it says after the quote "write your response to this statement, supporting your answer with suitable reference to the text". Meaning, you RESPOND to the God damn question, not automatically agree with it. As long as you can support your answer, right? In all fairness, why wouldn't this be the case?

The GVVP was a load of balls too. Last year's paper was much clearer than this. "The general vision and viewpoint of a text can be shaped by the reader's attitude to a central character". Can I write more than one sentence? What does that even mean? My attitude towards the main character should shape my viewpoint of the whole text? In English, please? Does this mean however I see the main character, is also how I should see the whole text?

What a stupid paper. Don't know how I wrote 16 pages. For all its awkwardness my Hamlet question was still 7 pages long though.

Edit:.....Am I the only person up at this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Um ... that's a lot to try to respond to at this hour! :pac:

But anyway, to one core theme in your post: if it asks "Do you agree ...?" or "To what extent do you agree ... ?" you are of course free to either agree or disagree, provided you give reasons, back up with references and quotes, etc.

Indeed, you could partly agree (backing up your points) and partly disagree (backing up your points) though this can be a little trickier to manage and convey clearly under pressure and in a very restricted timeframe. If you can pull it off though, you would probably end up with a very good, well-rounded answer. In literary criticism, as in real life, very little is black and white. Shades of grey abound!

When Rich died I said to myself ''Shes coming up'' ... I was suddenly let down when people told me the papers where already made :mad:

If only they let me have my moment and I would have studied Rich and not Plath :(

I studied Heany in much more detail but judging by the responses, loads had him or Plath done in detail so the standard would have been much much higher if they came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Heya guys, this is gonna sound really weird but my teacher gave me this prayer to say every morning during the exams, i said it this morning and at around half one i got the oddest feeling that i should read my kinsella question before i went in, so i did, and low and behold who was on the paper but kinsella. okay so my answer wasnt great because i hadnt studied him in detail the last few days but if i hadnt of read it i would have went in only with plath and heaney and wouldnt have had a hope in hell. i'm putting it down to the little prayer this morning so i thought i'd share it with you's "O great St.Joseph of Cupertino, who by your prayers, obtained from God that you should be asked at your exam the only proposition that you knew, obtain from me that I may suceed in the exams for which I am preparing. O sacred heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you amen"
    Haha, the EXACT same thing happened to me! My Mam gave me the St Joseph of Cupertino prayer to say every morning before my exams and a scared heart medal to wear under my jumper too. Got up early yesterday morning to look over my Plath and Heaney quotes. About an hour before I had to leave I had what I can only describe as a moment of divine intervention from God and read over my Kinsella essay! Oh how wrong I was about you Kinsella <3

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

st joseph of cupertino is gettin me through these exams lads! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SmurfOxide

I can't believe people being happy and amused by the lack of Plath and Heaney on the paper. This is having a huge affect on people and their futures. And you can say whatever you want about the chancers being caught out but english isn't everones priority. There are other exams to focus on too which means covering five poets might not be an option. This has fecked up a lot of people so why not show a little compassion. It's not easy, especially hearing all this crap on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

SmurfOxide wrote: »
    I can't believe people being happy and amused by the lack of Plath and Heaney on the paper. This is having a huge affect on people and their futures. And you can say whatever you want about the chancers being caught out but english isn't everones priority. There are other exams to focus on too which means covering five poets might not be an option. This has fecked up a lot of people so why not show a little compassion. It's not easy, especially hearing all this crap on top of it.

there are other people who studied 5 poets and didn't get caught out, at the end of the day poetry is only 50 marks and with the bell curve of grades it won't make that much of a difference to your end grade. english wasn't my priority but i still studied 5 poets. might be unfair but would it have been fair if Plath came up and someone who had only studied Plath did a better essay than someone who studied 5 because they knew more detail on Plath?
    at the end of the day they know that any 4 poets can come up so it's their own fault. and it's not going to determine their future, there are other ways around getting a course!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grizzly_bear

Well said.

If you were able to do Heany and Plath than you would have been able to cover the three females instead. It was a big upset but get real the same thing could have happened in any exam!

No I realize that it happens. What is getting to me is how insensitive people are being. Honestly the paper was awful for me. Not only was I not happy having to do Kinsella, but I found the comparative impossible too. That being said my points aren't too high so it shouldn't affect me too badly. But talking to people today, some think they might have lost their course over it. And I mean really smart people at the top of my year that are aiming for the 500 mark. So how people find that funny, I just don't get it. If they were in the same situation they wouldn't be laughing.

I'm not saying people should have chanced it. I did three fairly well, non of which appeared, but anyway. My issue is people laughing at those caught out. Whether somebody chanced their arm or not, it's not a laughing matter. I just wish people had a little respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I'm not saying people should have chanced it. I did three fairly well, non of which appeared, but anyway. My issue is people laughing at those caught out. Whether somebody chanced their arm or not, it's not a laughing matter. I just wish people had a little respect.

In the end you shouldnt have taken a chance if it was going to have such a big impact. I wasnt willing to take the risk so I did all five. Anyone who thinks this test to be so important and takes such a terrible risk, in my opinion, deserves everything they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

It's one section of one exam, for most people who miss out on their course it's not going to be the sole reason. I can imagine how horrible it would be to open the paper and see that none of your poets are there, but ultimately it's your responsibility to put the work in so that you don't end up in that situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

I feel sorry for those who didn't cover their bases. After the mocks, I decided to learn Kinsella. When I saw him on the paper, I was so relieved!! Didn't like the question but made a good stab at it, managed 3 pages and as my writing is tiny and I tend to concisely put everything,I was pretty happy :)

Hamlet was beautiful. Had very little prepared, but managed the madness question. 4 pages, and quotes I didn't know I knew :P

Didn't like the comparative. At all. Also left myself too short on time by being over excited about Hamlet... :P But sure it's done now. Realistically, screwing up one section won't make you fail. I hope I get my B overall, kind of counting on it!

TheGunns wrote: »
    In the end you shouldnt have taken a chance if it was going to have such a big impact. I wasnt willing to take the risk so I did all five. Anyone who thinks this test to be so important and takes such a terrible risk, in my opinion, deserves everything they get.

Ah hear if you scroll up a few posts you will see that it isn't going to affect me loads. But at the end of the day I did what I could do, I have other subjects that I am more focused on. I don't care if people think I, and others, are stupid for risking it a bit. What bothers me is that they are mocking us for it. THIS IS SERIOUS. It has serious results on people. Just stop being so god damn heartless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I ****ed up my Hamlet , I should've done the other question....I did corruption..Oh I have about 50 quotes alright...but not one mention of technique until maybe the last paragraph...**** me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement