Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Has Hamlet's madness ever appeared on the exam?
    Is the exam set before or after the mocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Regarding seamus heaney, does ANYONE know what the message of 'The Underground'?
    Id say themes in it would be, love, youth... ugh idk

I am beginning to prepare a themed answer for Heaney, if they ask him I feel he would be the perfect poet to base a theme on such as love/melancholy.

The theme of The Underground is that of love.
    Heaney uses references to mythology a lot in the poem, so it is a nice poem in that you could write a very odd interpretation on it, much different form everyone's else's.... this would show the examiner introspection on your behalf as you can identify with the themes and inherent messages.

For Both themes, 3 poems will be needed so I need to learn two new Heaney poems :(

Also have to cram GV+V

Hamlet is perfect and my kavanagh and Plath is perfect so here's hoping for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

guys really worried, i only know gvv in comparative, dont know lg or theme n issue

Just saying this right now.... they have never put both theme and issue and GV+V up together i dont think! So maybe this is the year, it would certainly be a good time for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

i'm praying literary genre comes up. please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 oldcrescent

i just got so much work done in less than half an hour...(now heaney better come up)

if you feel like you dont have enough work done,do it now!!! We have until 2...thats alot of time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oldcrescent

imelle wrote: »
    i'm praying literary genre comes up. please.

same,literary genre and heaney..single text...be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aoife..x

The Role of Women/Deception
    Plath or Rich
    GV&V

and I'll be sorted... not likely to happen though. :/
    thats the exact same as me!! im skrewed if they dont come up!! and general vision and viewpoint better come up!! have no clue of lit genre or theme and issue!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Dapics wrote: »
    Just saying this right now.... they have never put both theme and issue and GV+V up together i dont think! So maybe this is the year, it would certainly be a good time for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I can't remember the layout as well for theme/issue I know general vision and viewpoint more. And I'm planning on doing the 70marks question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Dapics wrote: »
    I am beginning to prepare a themed answer for Heaney, if they ask him I feel he would be the perfect poet to base a theme on such as love/melancholy.

The theme of The Underground is that of love.
    Heaney uses references to mythology a lot in the poem, so it is a nice poem in that you could write a very odd interpretation on it, much different form everyone's else's.... this would show the examiner introspection on your behalf as you can identify with the themes and inherent messages.

For Both themes, 3 poems will be needed so I need to learn two new Heaney poems :(

Also have to cram GV+V

Hamlet is perfect and my kavanagh and Plath is perfect so here's hoping for the best!

Wow thanks! yeah I've about 6 learned off PRAYING for heaney, really dont wanna end up doing rich.. Plath would be good but I NEED Heaney :P

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

does anyone know the kinda layout you should right for the comparative? Like general vision and viewpoint should you discuss like key moments,society and what else like all separately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

HowAreWe wrote: »

That was theme and cultuarl context

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Princessxx wrote: »
    does anyone know the kinda layout you should right for the comparative? Like general vision and viewpoint should you discuss like key moments,society and what else like all separately?

Beginning, key relationships, view of society, family life, ending ( they work for my 3 texts but mightn't for yours)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gigigi

Is it better to do a poetry answer poem by poem or thematically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Step 1: Lie in bed until half ten
    Step 2: Reread Larkin and Plath quotes
    Step 3: Dance around my room to 90s music
    Step 4: Reread Hamlet notes on Hamlet, Polinios, Gertrude and Ophelia, Appearance vs Reality. Make a plan for Hamlets character.
    Step 5: Briefly look over key moments and my lit genre essay for comparative.
    Step 6: Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Beginning, key relationships, view of society, family life, ending ( they work for my 3 texts but mightn't for yours)
    No that's what we usually do but in my whole freak out mode I seem to have forgotten :/ thank you :)

bobjimmy wrote: »
    That was theme and cultuarl context

woops tis indeed got one of my sample papers mixed up with 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I've decided not to bother looking over the comparative, I know my texts fairly well and I'm sure I can adapt them to suit the question. Am I mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

I am petrified...

• Advertisement

not learning soliloquys... shot me if they come up

M&S* wrote: »
    I've decided not to bother looking over the comparative, I know my texts fairly well and I'm sure I can adapt them to suit the question. Am I mad?

No, You've been doing them for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

not learning soliloquys... shot me if they come up

they're so easy tho just say what you learn about the character in each and how that effect their development as a person in the eyes of the audience, imps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've only done Plath in terms of my own studying :rolleyes: hope she comes up.

they're so easy tho just say what you learn about the character in each and how that effect their development as a person in the eyes of the audience, imps

I just realised I didn't even spell ''shoot'' right.. fml :L
    maybe I'll give them a wee look over then :) To be honest, I'd take an essay on imagery and symbolism before them tho

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dmcb123

What are the chances of the single text question being: "Hamlet, discuss."??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

dmcb123 wrote: »
    What are the chances of the single text question being: "Hamlet discuss."??????????

Well it'd be discuss the character of Hamlet, or discuss whether he's a hero or villain, or blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dmcb123

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well it'd be discuss the character of Hamlet, or discuss whether he's a hero or villain, or blah blah.

Damn :P

dmcb123 wrote: »
    What are the chances of the single text question being: "Hamlet, discuss."??????????

Highly unlikely.
    If it came up I wouldn't smile, I would just laugh at the fact that the SEC may have some humorous people in there after all....:pac:

• Advertisement

''Describe Hamlet''.. He is an absolute ballbag -- A1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement