Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

spurious wrote: »
    The 'OMG that was so easy I was finished in an hour' gang should be out soon.

LOL love that!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I really like how people get so invested in the poets when it's only worth 50 marks. Last year I just learned five so I knew nothing bad could happen in the exam.

Just me though, I guess some people love to take the risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I really like how people get so invested in the poets when it's only worth 50 marks. Last year I just learned five so I knew nothing bad could happen in the exam.

Just me though, I guess some people love to take the risk!

I never understand that crack either.Why not learn the notes as you get them ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

SDTimeout wrote: »
    It is possibly the most over-emphasised aspect of any exam I know of in the LC. If you're happy with a low B or C, the poetry isn't a major deal. Doing good in it will obviously help, but it's nothing major if you make a hash of it and get like 20/50. The most important part is that essay on paper 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Higher Level: Larkin and Rich
    Ordinary Level: Kavanagh and Heaney

BOOM. Just in case anyone is wondering I didn't spell Plath wrong.

P.S. I'm not a student I'm an attendant, I heard it on the grapevine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

hooli07 wrote: »

:O
    Plath for 2013 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Oh and for higher level the drama was madness and why he was corrupt I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Our Hamlet questions for 2011 were cruel, so I was expecting the poetry to be the killer this year... Waiting for word from the boyfriend on whether Plath or Heaney came up or not... Hopefully one of them did..

EDIT: Apparently neither did according to twitter... well....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maireadng

Nooooooo! Plath did not appear on the paper? I was helping someone out and advised them to do Plath. Raging! Did Heaney appear for higher level too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maireadng

Our Hamlet questions for 2011 were cruel, so I was expecting the poetry to be the killer this year... Waiting for word from the boyfriend on whether Plath or Heaney came up or not... Hopefully one of them did..

Same here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Well you're still missing the 2 other poets that will have come up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Apparently it's Rich, Kavanagh, Kinsella and Larkin for HL.

polka dot wrote: »
    Apparently it's Rich, Kavanagh, Kinsella and Larkin for HL.

oh jesus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Was secretly hoping Plath wouldn't come up to catch all the chancers out. :)

OL was fine. Not that anyone cares but Kinsella came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Any news on Hamlet, I think my sister only had Plath and Heaney done well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

errlloyd wrote: »
    Any news on Hamlet, I think my sister only had Plath and Heaney done well :(

Same. I'm dreading her return she'll be in terrible humour......

What's the best station to listen to for this post poetry outrage, in the mood for a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Well here's the thing. Public concern over 'dumbing down'. The Minister for Education expressing concern that exams have become too predictable. The SEC is not there to give presents. People need to realise that from now on the rules have changed. The signs have been there for a good while.

Above all, remember that if it was hard for you it was equally hard for others. Trust in the marking scheme now. They will get the same distribution of grades as every other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mockgenius

Just out from HL English. I had Plath, Heaney and Larkin done so was grand but I've never seen something funnier than the looks on people's faces when they opened the papers

Was secretly hoping Plath wouldn't come up to catch all the chancers out. :)

OL was fine. Not that anyone cares but Kinsella came up.

In HL, the 'chancers' are actually just people trying to get a grip as best they can on as much as they can. It's virtually impossible to have all of the poets covered in depth... Teachers advise people to only know 3/4 in depth at higher level..

Nice username by the way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

In HL, the 'chancers' are actually just people trying to get a grip as best they can on as much as they can. It's virtually impossible to have all of the poets covered in depth... Teachers advise people to only know 3/4 in depth at higher level..

The Leaving Cert is about the ability to cover everything in depth. Most people aiming for high points can't risk knowing just 3 poets, that's absurd that any teacher would ever say that. You have to know at least 5, it's not about predictions, it's about being able to answer questions on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Not really. Banking on predictions is a fool's pursuit. Most people I know had 4 or 5 so I guess this has benefited those who put in the work. :)

"Hamlets madness be it genuine or not adds to the fascination of the audience toward his character"

Seems grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

So it was Rich, Kavanagh, Kinsella and Larkin in the Poetry right?

Anyone know did Literary genre come up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Grand paper - nothing too bad about it at all!
    However, on a scale of 1-Sylvia Plath, how f*cked were you when Plath didn't come up? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mockgenius

irish_man wrote: »
    So it was Rich, Kavanagh, Kinsella and Larkin in the Poetry right?

Anyone know did Literary genre come up?

Yes it was literary genre and general vision and viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 1 abaigealw

Nice username by the way :rolleyes:

I sat my leaving cert a good few years ago now, and we were made to study 6 poets in detail so that we would have a choice of two on the day. I teach English grinds myself and would never recommend studying less than five poets becasue you could end up with no poet on the day. Fair enough, every student will have have their favourites that they may know in more detail, but they should all know the basics for at least five. That is what the course entails. It is not fair but that is how the exam works. There are 8 poets and only 4 come up, you do not have to be a mathematician to figure out that you need to study 5 poets to make sure you are prepared.

errlloyd wrote: »
    "Hamlets madness be it genuine or not adds to the fascination of the audience toward his character"

Seems grand.

Seems last years hard paper 2 has been rectified.

Not really. Banking on predictions is a fool's pursuit. Most people I know had 4 or 5 so I guess this has benefited those who put in the work. :)

Everyone gambles, some people gambled on them coming up, some gambled on them not coming up. If they had come up presumably many of the "chancers" would have possibly don't better than you because they had more time to dedicate to it.

People all have the same amount of time, risky strategy and conservative strategy are both legit, fair play on getting conservative to work out for you.

• Advertisement

The Leaving Cert is about the ability to cover everything in depth. Most people aiming for high points can't risk knowing just 3 poets, that's absurd that any teacher would ever say that. You have to know at least 5, it's not about predictions, it's about being able to answer questions on the day.

Everyone studies at least five, but I'm talking completely in depth. At the end of the day - poetry is only one section. The LC is a memory test and very few people go in with everything fresh in their heads... 3/4 is what we were advised to know in depth because otherwise - something else suffers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement