Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

Who came up in the poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

"Seems last years hard paper 2 has been rectified."

Last years paper 2 was hardly that difficult. All the predicted poets came up. Claudius came up & both cultural context and theme and issue came up. The Claudius questions was quite straight forward. Some of the poetry questions were difficult. The comparative was fairly reasonable in fairness. I do not remember it being hard. It was typical English, easy in some parts & hard in others-like every year & I doubt this year was any different.

& also, studying 5+ poets is ludicrous. Yeah you need 5 to be sure & all that but there is patterns that can be predicted & learning 3-4 is fine as long as you pick the most likely 3 or 4. Hiding from the fact that a poet is not likely or saying that no can be sure is stupid. Poets are likely to come up & most likely if you learn 3-4 of the most likely then at least 1 will come up. Given that the significance of the prescribed poetry is massively exaggerated learning 6 poets, in my opinion, is stupid when you could learn the comparative in more detail or practice the essay for p1 which is twice as many marks as the prescribed poetry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

rugrats wrote: »
    Who came up in the poetry?

Kinsella
    Rich
    Larkin
    Kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Friend of mine left out the poetry question entirely because she hadn't done any poets other than Plath. :rolleyes:

Made me feel better about my terrible answer on Kinsella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I don't care what anyone says not putting up Plath or Heaney was unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Lots of people off home to stick their head in the oven, I imagine.

Friend of mine left out the poetry question entirely because she hadn't done any poets other than Plath. :rolleyes:

Made me feel better about my terrible answer on Kinsella.

My answer on Kinsella was **** too! I wrote two pages on him, oh well, Hamlet and comparative were GREAT so I think it'll all be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

In the unseen poetry, if you assumed the woman was the child's mother, even if it doesn't say so in the poem, do you lose marks???? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Jesus thank the LORD I studied Rich this morning!
    Was gonna head in there with all my little flash cards on Heaney and Plath done out :/ God that was lucky.
    Went well, Hamlet was classss, prescribed poetry was good, Rich coulda been abit longer but oh well it was a nice essay :)

let's not mention the comparative....

finality wrote: »
    My answer on Kinsella was **** too! I wrote two pages on him, oh well, Hamlet and comparative were GREAT so I think it'll all be ok :)

I wrote 3 and a half pages of complete bullshít. :rolleyes:

Same! Hamlet and comparative went beautifully! Even the unseen poem was nice. :D

Stupid poetry. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

M&S* wrote: »

What's your reasoning behind this?

Everyone in the country knows that the paper cannot be predicted and this just goes to show it.. if you were caught out by it, tough. There's 8 poets, 4 come up so if you want to be guaranteed a poet, study 5, not just those "predicted".

I actually find it hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

A couple of people left early from the exam centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Everyone in the country knows that the paper cannot be predicted and this just goes to show it.. if you were caught out by it, tough. There's 8 poets, 4 come up so if you want to be guaranteed a poet, study 5, not just those "predicted".

Predictions mean nothing. Boland is the best example.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Alright paper. Was delighted with the literary genre question and with rich.
    Thought the Hamlet questions were difficult enough. I did the corruption one but found it difficult to think of techniques used to convey it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gavin18

my head is in the oven as we speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

GO ON KAVANAGH MY SON.

What a champion:D:D

I actually laughed in the exam when I saw that neither Plath or Heaney came up. Even though they were my best poets, I was just like "boards.ie's fu¢ked". So glad I read over Kinsella this morning omg.

Can't wait to hear people on the radio complaining. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

M&S* wrote: »

There are 8 poets on the course. 4 will come up. 4 will not. You work out the math!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Everything that I wanted to come up came up. Could have written on Kinsella,Kavanagh or Rich. Hamlet question wasn't too bad or gvvp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 felixfelicis

Went alright! Very happy that Rich showed up with such a lovely question. Literary Genre was awkward and far too confined, though. A little annoyed by that. Hamlet was fine, though! Nice paper!

My sincere condolences go to those of you relying on predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

My reasoning behind this is there's people out there (Ruairí Quinn) who think that they understand of the education system is better than anyone and think that once in power they can fire out several changes to courses (material that comes up and course content). The leaving cert isn't designed to crush people at the beginning of their exams.
    I'm glad you find the upset of others hilarious, it's good that some good comes out of your smugness.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Bit insensitive no? It's not actually that funny. Yeah people should study 5. But that much work is completely unjustified for the amount marks going for the answer. The minority will only study 5. The majority do not. I'd say study 3 predicted & know a 4th somewhat okay if everything goes arseways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I nearly laughed when both Heaney and Plath pulled a Boland!
    But was kind of disappointed Plath weren't there but so happy when I saw Rich!.
    I actually remembered all the quotes.

Hamlet I didn't study corruption but I spent time looking over a sample answer on Hamlets Madness today even though I didn't use many quotes I vaguely remembered it. I really wanted Role of Women.
    I'm happy GV&V came up I got about 6 pages hopefully I did the question right.
    Then I did the unseen last I finished half an hour early.

On Hamlets madness did you have to speak about only Hamlet? I mentioned Ophelia and Laertes as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Larkin :') I knew you would be there for me buddy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

I only studied plath and larkin and larkin came up... too much luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

state examination commission is shhhlyyyyyy.
    bet when rich died they changed the paper! Expect the unexpected ~~
    and who's to say they didnt?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

I failed so hard at paper 1... Failed at timing and found myself writing far less than I have expected... What would I get for 2 pages of pretty compact writing? I also hope I didn't wander off the topic too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

Evan93 wrote: »
    It's not actually that funny. Yeah people should study 5. But that much work is completely unjustified for the amount marks going for the answer.

Work for the Leaving Cert is not unjustified considering your chosen college course depends on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

Why does this leaving cert hate me?!
    MEEGHH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement