Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

Wkds wrote: »
    Alright paper. Was delighted with the literary genre question and with rich.
    Thought the Hamlet questions were difficult enough. I did the corruption one but found it difficult to think of techniques used to convey it.

I did that Hamlet Q aswell, regretted it half way through it was hard.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

As much as I was hoping for Plath to come up... I think it's kind of hilarious that she didn't. :p

Come on guys, there's nothing you can do about it now. Just move onto the next subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Not to be insensitive but delighted with the paper, questions on gvvp, Hamlet and Rich were reasonable and got a load down. Do have some sympathy for those who were left stumped without a poet but I suppose it's a life lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

that feeling when you only study Larkin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hongalway

Just home lads, crackin stuff altogether!! dont think iv ever laughed as much when the first lad in the exam hall got the paper and then turned over to the rest of us and mimed out 'no plath, no heaney'. one lad left his forehead on the table for 20 minutes, another lad for 10 minutes, i spent about 15 minutes laughin at everyone elses facial expressions when they realised he wasn't messing, they, along with myself, being the ones who only studied ovenhead and heaney of course
    For those wondering, Kinsella, Kavanagh, Larkin and Rich came up, GV&V and Literary Genre came up for comparative and Hamlets madness and some theme, which im not sure on, came up for Hamlet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

That was not a nice paper at all!
    I liked the literary genre but thought the Hamlet was quite hard. I did the madness one. I saw the word technique in the other question and I was like NOT HAPPENING.

Poetry was all my least favorites too. And people thought I was mad learning 7 poets! I thought the Kinsella question was lovely, Rich one was quite tough though :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Beautiful, beautiful paper. Hamlet teacher had the questions predicted spot on. I had a funny feeling Kinsella, Larkin and Rich would be on too. Still don't reckon I got an A though.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

If the SEC is by any chance reading this i would like to say a big F*CK YOU! you are all evil sons of b*tches. ): ye'd want to cop onto yerselves. /;

ugghhh fml

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Evan93 wrote: »
    Bit insensitive no? It's not actually that funny. Yeah people should study 5. But that much work is completely unjustified for the amount marks going for the answer. The minority will only study 5. The majority do not. I'd say study 3 predicted & know a 4th somewhat okay if everything goes arseways.

I completely agree about that much work for only 50 marks but that's the LC. Deal with it. Everyone knows that the LC is unfair and that it needs to change blah blah blah, get over it.

Insensitive? Maybe. But it just goes to show all the people who think they can predict/follow predictions. It doesn't work.

Boland wasn't enough to convince people of this and I doubt this will do anything either so yes, it is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I looked straight at Poetry and seen no Plath, instantly shouted ''Holy f*cking crap'' ... Then laughed ... Unreal that she didn't come up.. I ended up writing a page of pure and utter crap on Rich...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

As much as I was hoping for Plath to come up... I think it's kind of hilarious that she didn't. :p

Come on guys, there's nothing you can do about it now. Just move onto the next subject!

Me too!
    People were leaving my exam room crying and I was just thinking, what good is that now?
    I was actually quite happy with the paper.
    The General Vision and Viewpoint and Hamlet question were awkward as ****, and I answered on the poet I never wrote an essay on before, yet Im happy with how I dealt with it. POSITIVE THINKING PEOPLE! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

if you were caught out by it, tough. There's 8 poets, 4 come up so if you want to be guaranteed a poet, study 5, not just those "predicted".

I actually find it hilarious :pac:

No need for comments like this, the exam is over so your advice about how many poets to study is pointless. Stressing people out about what they should have done for a previous exam when they have most of their exams left to sit isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I did both parts of the Unseen Poetry by accident, would they give me marks for the best one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

It was "Shakespeare uses a variety of techniques to convey a world of corruption in the play, hamlet" write a response :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

What's your reasoning behind this?

Everyone in the country knows that the paper cannot be predicted and this just goes to show it.. if you were caught out by it, tough. There's 8 poets, 4 come up so if you want to be guaranteed a poet, study 5, not just those "predicted".

I actually find it hilarious :pac:

True, studying less than 5 is completely stupid... but everyone will know 3/4 way better than they will 5/6. I'm presuming that everyone in the country studies at least five, but, studying five is completely different to knowing five inside-out. Most people go in knowing 3 absolutely inside-out and then 2 others well. Going in knowing 5 inside-out can make something else like Hamlet or the comparative suffer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Rich question was a walk, GVVP wasn't too bad, Hamlet was tough enough. Had a gut feeling Plath was going to be Boland #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

I did that Hamlet Q aswell, regretted it half way through it was hard.. :(
    What different techniques did you mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

Kinsella <3 and LG was the only comparaative i knew :) and corruption was fantastic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Wilwarin wrote: »
    It was "Shakespeare uses a variety of techniques to convey a world of corruption in the play, hamlet" write a response :P

I think I may have overused the word ''corruption''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

*From the sec

To all the people who did Plath...

You mad bro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

Wkds wrote: »
    What different techniques did you mention?

Really had no clue,kind of talked about deception bit much.. Um Ghost,Soliloquys and then just about the plot.. DISASTER... You? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boom boom boom

I think they spelt sylvia plath wrong on the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I love Patrick kavanagh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

what techniques did people say for conveying corruption? i was completely befuddled for a few minutes, decided on characters, dialogue and imagery in the end! only got 3 pages but quality over quantity right? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Wow. Now to relax.

Rich made that paper! i was so happy! Hamlet was a tad hard, madness. and comparative was grand! barely got time for unseen! Wrote 24 pages! =D

Happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Really had no clue,kind of talked about deception bit much.. Um Ghost,Soliloquys and then just about the plot.. DISASTER... You? :)

I pretty much used my prepared essay and just tried to turn them into techniques. I think it worked okay? Probably not .. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Why are people surprised Plath didn't come up? The only people who said she would come up were only guessing and they had no way to back it up. Ye shouldn't have put all yere eggs in 1 basket.

The Kavanagh question was so easy. I don't know why people didn't study him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Hahaha hate to be the people that were dependant on plath/heaney I had Larkin and Rich covered 100% along with heaney and plath. I also had corruption covered for hamlet and nothing else. as for the comparative well I make that up on the spot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement