Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

So happy Rich came up, but I think I chose the wrong GV+V for me :/ Also Hamlet, corruption?! WTF was I thinking! Basically just said characters = techniques! Haha! Oh well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ajireland95

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Grand paper - nothing too bad about it at all!
    However, on a scale of 1-Sylvia Plath, how f*cked were you when Plath didn't come up? :pac:

You left mad early though! :pac:

I thought it was grand, i just wrote some absolute rubbish for kavanagh, it sounded good at least. Comparative was the easiest i've ever seen. You could pretty much just write anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭afc4life

I did that Hamlet Q aswell, regretted it half way through it was hard.. :(

I did the first Hamlet question and also regretted it halfway through as well! The techniques was what put me off that Q but then halfway through the first Q I wanted to switch because I thought I would do better in the other one, in the end I said f*ck it Ill continue with this one with the amount of time that was left! ( about 12 mins)

As long as that dosent totally screw me over I wont mind because Im really only a C student and need to do ok in all of the Q's!

Anyway If I dont like my result, life goes on anyway dosent it! :p

...Just have to make up that result in other ones, may study extra hard these last exams just to make sure! :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Today's paper was a sign of what is too come. The SEC are out to get us.

I think it was down to paper 1 being quite straightforward so this was to balance it out.

I didn't time it as well as yesterday, got everything finished but would have liked more time to check things.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

I didn't even glance at corruption before, never thought of it but I aced the insanity question instead...what are they talking about in terms of corruption...like deception or Claudius or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

F*cked up my timing:(
    Started off grand: did 6pages on Hamlet's madness (nice Q btw)
    then I did the comparative (GV&V two parts - nice as well) - 7pgs...and was like half an hour behind...
    I did the unseen cause I knew I'd have that quick but got stuck...so I spend 20minutes on it and then started my poetry on larkin...really needed to go to the bathroom but persisted...did page and a half...the thing is I actually knew him cause I studied him this morning...and it wasn't even good because I was in a hurry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

afc4life wrote: »
    I did the first Hamlet question and also regretted it halfway through as well! The techniques was what put me off that Q but then halfway through the first Q I wanted to switch because I thought I would do better in the other one, in the end I said f*ck it Ill continue with this one with the amount of time that was left! ( about 12 mins)

As long as that dosent totally screw me over I wont mind because Im really only a C student and need to do ok in all of the Q's!

Anyway If I dont like my result, life goes on anyway dosent it! :p

...Just have to make up that result in other ones, may study extra hard these last exams just to make sure! :L

Ahh I'm sure it'll be fine they'll mark the best.
    Good words of wisdom there, life goes on B)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

M&S* wrote: »
    I don't care what anyone says not putting up Plath or Heaney was unfair.

How is it unfair? Every single poet can come up and if you want to take the risk of banking on one or two coming up, that's your right. It is also a very risky strategy and can backfire. It was the same thing with Boland a couple of years ago. If people want to take the risk, people should take the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

I did the part B of the unseen poem, my personal response. I only wrote a page though is that enough for 20 marks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

How much does the Hamlet question count for the grade?
    I messed up in that question the rest went grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Today's paper was a sign of what is too come. The SEC are out to get us.

It's a sign you can't just depend on predictions tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I did the part B of the unseen poem, my personal response. I only wrote a page though is that enough for 20 marks?

Yup...that's actually the amount you are expected to write...used to write about two pages but my teacher said that it was too much:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ciaranmor

I did that, I think it's all they want. If you backed up your points you should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

OMG happy out :D:D:D

I mean i still dont think i got an A but god almighty, a good Hamlet question, had a choice between the two poets I did study :D and managed to do my GVV out so I'm hoping for the best! :D Of course, sorry to all those who were depending on Plath, heard a few groans in my hall :o glad i decided to avoid her tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

How much does the Hamlet question count for the grade?
    I messed up in that question the rest went grand.

100 marks = 25%

So 60 marks is about 13/14% ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Was so happy to see Kinsella on there :D He's the only poet I knew properly and I kept thinking he wouldn't come up. I had written a good essay on him last week and was looking over it a good bit, so I used most of my points from that. I liked the question about him.

Same with general vision and viewpoint, I'm actually really happy with it even though I used to hate doing comparative questions.

The unseen poem questions were a bit weird and I didn't have a lot of time so I just wrote a load of crap for that. Same with Hamlet, the question wasn't bad but I didn't have enough time to do it properly so just wrote 3 pages of crap. I don't really care about Hamlet because gv & vp and poetry were good, and paper 1 was much better than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

my poetry and comparative was good but my hamlet was only 2 pages of crapness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Reprazent

Made the 70m literary genre question my *****. The rest ehm....

Our Plath,
    Who art in an oven,
    Sylvia be thy name,
    We thought you would come,
    We all had you done,
    But turns out your still in the oven.
    Give us this day Thomas Kinsella
    and forgive us for doing Plath
    as we hate those who said she'd come up
    lead us not into an oven
    but deliver us from Seamus Heaney
    Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Our Plath,
    Who art in an oven,
    Sylvia be thy name,
    We thought you would come,
    We all had you done,
    But turns out your still in the oven.
    Give us this day Thomas Kinsella
    and forgive us for doing Plath
    as we hate those who said she'd come up
    lead us not into an oven
    but deliver us from Seamus Heaney
    Amen.

Fecking genius hahahaha :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

did six pages on hamlet, 2 on unseen, seven and a half on kinsella, and eleven and a half on literary genre, needed extra paper with four minutes to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Haha errbody whispering in my class when the paper was handed out... All you could here is fffffffsssss!!! Predictions my behind

I did Literary Genre, Hamlets madness, personal responce and Rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

The mixture of cries of despair and cries of delight when we opened the paper today is something I'll probably remember for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2 qwertyuop

I had a mental breakdown this week because of Plath's poetry. Couldn't sleep a wink before Paper 1; ****ing depressing lines floating around in my head. The day before the exam I couldn't form sentences orally, or written, because I had learned off so much stuff.
    I had Heaney done as well and had planned to do Larkin the day before the exam but my mental state prevented me from doing that. I had a minute knowledge of Kavanagh, managed to muster a measly 2.5 pages out of him.
    Oh but that moment when I turned the page and saw those 4 names there. Evil SEC! I actually turned the page over and looked at the "Blank Page" section because I could not believe my eyes.
    Other than that the paper went quite well. I kind of let the passion take hold of me as I did in Paper 1. Hopefully my short story will fill in the gaps where that god awful poetry question screwed me over.

earwax_man wrote: »
    Fecking genius hahahaha :pac:

Not mine, robbed from facebook but I shall take all credit :P mwhahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

Nice enough paper!
    Did the Madness in Hamlet Q, LG, RICH!!! Delighted I had learned her yday! Think I wrote about 19 pages? Doubt I got an A but hopefully a high B? :)
    Thought my hand was going to fall off! Kept cramping up at the end! Bad time management :cool:
    ON TO MATHS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

What did any of ye say for your favourite image in the Unseen Poem?

I said the 'momentous first taste of fruit' and about how it painted in my minds eye the bright, vivid, colourful tones I associate with fruit, it was such waffle...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

lads I only did 4 pages on hamlet, 4 pages (of crap) on comparative and 3 pages on rich and 1 page on unseen. Quesitions were grand but it that too little? :/
    would of liked longer for rich but spend ages planning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement