Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Higher Level English Paper 2 2012 - Before/After

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

What did any of ye say for your favourite image in the Unseen Poem?

I said the 'momentous first taste of fruit' and about how it painted in my minds eye the bright, vivid, colourful tones I associate with fruit, it was such waffle...

For some reason I used the ''Then he said ''No'' '' as mine as it made me reflect on my childhood and the lies etc and blabbered on a bit .. Then I realised f*ck is that even an image :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

bazinga_ wrote: »
    did six pages on hamlet, 2 on unseen, seven and a half on kinsella, and eleven and a half on literary genre, needed extra paper with four minutes to go!

27 pages? So a page every 7.4 minutes? I call bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Our Plath,
    Who art in an oven,
    Sylvia be thy name,
    We thought you would come,
    We all had you done,
    But turns out your still in the oven.
    Give us this day Thomas Kinsella
    and forgive us for doing Plath
    as we hate those who said she'd come up
    lead us not into an oven
    but deliver us from Seamus Heaney
    Amen.

LMAO!! i just read that 3 times in a row just laughing out loud. :pac: fair play t'ya :D best poetry i ever read. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Glad Heaney and Plath did not come up, Quinn did say they are making the paper less predictable, and you shouldn't be able to predict a paper

Lad in our class ripped up paper when Plath wasn't on, same guy left after an hour.

Hamlet wasn't bad, nor gv&v

Happy out for some :D pints tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Mixed paper. Liked the Comparative and Poetry, thought Hamlet was tough but think I did ok in it.

Did:
    • General Vision Q.2- 8 Pages
    • Hamlet Q.1- 4.5 Pages
    • Rich Q.2- 6 Pages
    • Unseen Q.2- 1 page

Hoping for the B1 at least hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My Rich essay was appallingly bad :pac: I was sitting there trying to remember any rich I'd done, since our teacher didn't cover it, ended up writing a page and a half on aunt jennifers tigers I remembered from fifth year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

What did any of ye say for your favourite image in the Unseen Poem?

I said the 'momentous first taste of fruit' and about how it painted in my minds eye the bright, vivid, colourful tones I associate with fruit, it was such waffle...

I said "a world whose form and colour weren't fixed but fluid" but my answer was a load of crap, I said it conjured up images in my head of dancing colour and changing shapes and how it showed the imagination of the child but it was all a load of bull

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

It was an ok paper..

I wrote:
    3 pages on the Corruption question for Hamlet.
    6 and a half pages on the GV&V question.
    1 page on the 2 part unseen poetry question.
    2 and a half pages on Larkin.

Luckily i learn't Larkin last night, I only used 2 poems but answered very extensively so hoping it might make up for it a small bit:p .. By the way is Corruption sort of like Deception?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

well i write super fast (i've learnt from history!) and my writing's pretty big as well, so nope, no bull**** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Is corruption and deception the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

qwertyuop wrote: »
    I had a mental breakdown this week because of Plath's poetry. Couldn't sleep a wink before Paper 1; ****ing depressing lines floating around in my head. The day before the exam I couldn't form sentences orally, or written, because I had learned off so much stuff.
    I had Heaney done as well and had planned to do Larkin the day before the exam but my mental state prevented me from doing that. I had a minute knowledge of Kavanagh, managed to muster a measly 2.5 pages out of him.
    Oh but that moment when I turned the page and saw those 4 names there. Evil SEC! I actually turned the page over and looked at the "Blank Page" section because I could not believe my eyes.
    Other than that the paper went quite well. I kind of let the passion take hold of me as I did in Paper 1. Hopefully my short story will fill in the gaps where that god awful poetry question screwed me over.

Jesus christ. Your poet didn't come up. It was a bad day. Suck it up. You didn't have a "mental breakdown". If you had a mental breakdown you wouldn't be posting on boards.

God I hate overly dramatic people, there is so much worse in life that could happen to you and you complain and moan over an effing exam...ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

I, along with half the population, was banking on Plath or worst case Heaney.

In fairness, we asked for it! :p

Surprised how much I got for Larkin.

Oh well, no point losing sleep. To Maths! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

mufc1993 wrote: »

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

mufc1993 wrote: »

kind of, you can use the same sort of points. ie Claudius is the source of the moral and political corruption/deception in elsinore etc

well i write super fast (i've learnt from history!) and my writing's pretty big as well, so nope, no bull**** :D

I hate being crippled by a terribly slow right wrist, never stopped writing throughout and only managed 14 pages - which you nearly doubled :pac: Be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

smithy77 wrote: »

By the way is Corruption sort of like Deception?:confused:

I think so! I didnt do that Q myself but a load of my friends did and basically used their essays from deception ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ajireland95

I'm hoping for an A but i kind of messed up the essay badly :o

GVVP: 8 Pages - Did the 2 part one for the first time ever but it turned out grand
    Kavanagh: 5 Pages - Easy enough, pretty sure i would have gotten 50/50 if plath came up though :(
    Hamlet: 6 Pages - I love questions about hamlet himself, they're SO easy
    Unseen: 1.5 Pages - Utter bull**** for that, i just wrote some stuff about images, i'm pretty sure my writing wasn't even legible at that stage though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

kind of, you can use the same sort of points. ie Claudius is the source of the moral and political corruption/deception etc

No.

Good...
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lamie

I'm a sad panda:( Only managed bout page for Rich. Grr no point thinking on it. Maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Can anyone tell me minimum marks one can get for hamlet?

Also if you cross out a ques, is it still marked? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

How much does the Hamlet question count for the grade?
    I messed up in that question the rest went grand.

100 marks = 25%

So 60 marks is about 13/14% ?

15%

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

For the corruption I said about Marcellus 'something is rotten in the state of Denmark' stuff, gertrude and rosencrantz/guidenstern betrayal of Hamlet and hamlet's self-deception and antic-disposition and linked it into corruption.. Hopefully that'll be ok:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Weird how Kavanagh doesn't seem to have been that popular here, and half the people in my room did him

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ihatetheleavin

Guys do you think I'd lose a lot of marks for only getting two pages on poetry and talking about 3 poems cause I ran out of time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

21651728.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Eek just after realizing I might not have fixed a mistake in my kinsella essay. I never used the word 'agree' in the essay, but I continually said the things in the statement were true. I hope that doesn't matter too much :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Everything actually went well for me weirdly enough O: never finished the comparative though, but got 3/4s of it done.. Kavanagh<3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I nearly cried tears of joy when I say LG. :D

Didn't go over any of the four poets that came up over the past few days but most of what we did in 5th Year on Larkin came back to me. Delighted.

I found the Madness essay a bit hard to get started on but didn't do too badly on it.

I managed a grand total of... 9 pages. :o Overall I'm happy with the Paper 2. Was killing myself with nerves all morning though, and falling asleep while I was cramming at 10am didn't help. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Laurasteel

Can anybody remember the v+v 2 part question think I messed it up??

• Advertisement

The people who used deception = corruption stuff would of had to have explained the lies and deception is hand in hand corruption in the opening or conclusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement