Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beginning of Something Good

Options
  • 06-06-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi All,

Having recently finished college I had planned to travel to South America in September, the plan fell through however and I am now in a situation where I have saved up a significant amount (about €5000).

Its not a ground breaking amount by any means, but it got me thinking whether or not I could put the money to better use. I have always been the entrepreneurial type and have my own part time business. It has done quiet well but I can't see any room for growth.

I seem to be always in search of a new idea, which will keep me awake at night, until I eventually pick enough holes to make the original idea seem stupid which inevitably leads to me wondering why I even thought of it in the first place.

This time its different, I want to start something new, a new challenge. This time I have the money but no solid, bullet-proof idea. So I am thinking I am not an ideas person, wondering where are the ideas people? And how can I strike a partnership with other like minded people who maybe have the idea but no finance.

Long story short, someone make me a millionaire. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

maybe your original ideas were not that bad?

Remember you can pick holes in every idea. I remember when bottled water was lauched. oh how we all laughed at that and the plastic suction cup for getting milk out of cows.

We are always our own worst critics and there is always the risk when you meet your ideas man you'll end up tearing holes in them too

• Registered Users Posts: 47 quantity771

Very true, at times I suppose I'm looking for the excuses not to take the risk.

I find myself going back to ideas I had before, instead of looking for a new one.:rolleyes:

I'm itching to start something, doesn't have to be huge, but I really want the challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

i would be abit like you OP.

Pick holes in every idea until its destroyed!

only thru experience have i found that your idea doesnt need to be groundbreaking.
    There is room for everyone.
    There is certainly room out there for improvement.
    Particularly on the internet.

Ive a few ideas but no funds to help with marketing etc.

I hear ya flynnlives, its very frustrating at times :rolleyes:

if you have any ideas of the internet variety throw me a pm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 tiptops

im in the same boat lad, so many ideas and not enough encouragement! I keep shooting the next good idea after the next

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tiptops

hi flynn. i have an internet idea to discusse with you, sending you a pm now.

quantity777 check your mail box aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Instead of being satisfied with the 'holes' you've found in you idea, why not find a way to fill them.... that's how entrepreneur's suceed!
    Maybe your idea's are sound, put 'em down on paper and maybe even see if you can use a pieces of them to start.

tiptops wrote: »
    hi flynn. i have an internet idea to discusse with you, sending you a pm now.

quantity777 check your mail box aswell!

i sent ya a pm but my control panel is saying i havent sent anything!

weird:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

flynnlives wrote: »
    i would be abit like you OP.

Pick holes in every idea until its destroyed!

only thru experience have i found that your idea doesnt need to be groundbreaking.
    There is room for everyone.
    There is certainly room out there for improvement.
    Particularly on the internet.

Ive a few ideas but no funds to help with marketing etc.

Exactly, an idea doesn't have to be new or exciting. Lots of businesses thrive on doing what the other guy does but doing it better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

I can see a mini brain storming session developing...... now all you guys have to do is get together and come up with a plan. Who knows you might have new business concept developing. Have a look at startupweekend for a business forming model. Interesting concept runs in Dublin at least once a year might be of interest to you guys.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Do you mind me asking what you studied in college?
    Could be very important factor if you have skills to bring to a partnership...!!!

Do you mind me asking what you studied in college?
    Could be very important factor if you have skills to bring to a partnership...!!!

Me ..I studied IT..programming... WEB development.. all that good stuff..if you guys want to organise a brainstorming session . I could probably organise something in Dublin next week if everyone is interested.

i also studied similar to newfrontier and would also be up for linking up with others who have ideas.

Already chatting away with tiptops.

only issue with a meetup is im in galway! i would consider a day trip to dublin provided the tea is free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I suppose from a Kerry perspective that is up around the Dublin region! :-)

Personally I have studied arts, so I don't see that as a huge help in the business world :D

I have however started my own home based business which is doing well. I feel the experience is invaluable.

Another poster in this thread pm'd me with an idea he has, and even though I don't think I could be much help with it, I think it's great to even be able to chat about ideas no matter how big or small!

I think some kind of entrepreneur network/meeting could be of huge benefit to everyone with an interest in this thread.

Personally I have studied arts, so I don't see that as a huge help in the business world :D

I have however started my own home based business which is doing well. I feel the experience is invaluable.

Another poster in this thread pm'd me with an idea he has, and even though I don't think I could be much help with it, I think it's great to even be able to chat about ideas no matter how big or small!

I think some kind of entrepreneur network/meeting could be of huge benefit to everyone with an interest in this thread.

If everyone is on for a network/meeting I could facilitate it but I would like to put some structure on it . If some people are travelling I think it would be important to make it a worthwhile trip. The structure is to make it as useful as possible. I would ask 5 questions of participants. If you could answer them over the next few days we can then progress to discuss a date and venue. I should highlight this will be a free event, no fancy lunches but I should be able to organise tea/ coffee.

1. What do you hope to achieve from the meeting/event?
    2. Do you have a business idea you wish to get feedback on?
    3. Are you looking for support in implementing your idea?
    4. What time frame do you suggest for the meeting?
    5. Would you be willing to support fellow entrepreneurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TheoBane

That sounds like a very good idea, it could be a start to something new.

1: Meeting contacts with others and helping other find contacts
    2: I have loads of idea's, and other idea's that i wish to get help with
    3: yes in some projects
    4: A long afternoon, around 4 to 5 hours
    5: Yes, as much as possible without my own business to suffer.

I always come up with idea's for everything, im one of those brainstorming guys that come up with so many idea's that i get fed up writhing them down. I can usually take a idea and come up with new stuff for it, so if anyone needs help with ideas just pm.

The trick with idea's is to come up with the Impossible and try to make it possible

Regards
    Theo

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

I would also be interested in brain storming as my other half is just in the process of setting up an online shop.

thanks paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Advertisement

If you need any help with Brainstorming, send me a pm and il see what i can do.

Regards
    Theo

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cam1452

Well lads
    Think it a great idea for meeting up,
    As some one wil hav the answer that another is missing
    Often get an idea but where to start is the thing.

Was at a brainstorming event this week in dublin and it was very productive and positive lots of good advice.....I would highly recommend it. Good few posters here seem to be keen on attending a similar event and from the posts I can see it being interesting but with people spread over the country it may be hard to organise numbers to commit to a given time and date...also if we were to keep it free ..who is going to spend alot of time organising ... who wants to give up his time to this.Maybe we will see if the thread gets a quorum to proceed?

I think we have 4 interested so far if it gets to 10 i will post a date up and see if we can get 8 definite attenders .. we get then proceed from there!!! any sugesstions are welcome

i would attend but would prefer if it was in a location that everyone could get too handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CreativeChris

Hey,

I've been following this in the background and would be very interested in attending the brain storming session. I have a degree in Commerce and currently work in management consulting so maybe i could be of some help!

As i said, im very interested in going. I have also a few idea's to present the group if we go to the meeting. Just an idea, but maybe we should set up a Facebook group where we can join and talk about this. We can also set up events with information and chat with other people online at the same time. I can set up the group if we have anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭decus

Hey,

I've been following this in the background and would be very interested in attending the brain storming session. I have a degree in Commerce and currently work in management consulting so maybe i could be of some help!

I've been following this in the background too and would be very interested in attending the brainstorming session too. Working in management, IT company, so if some of the ideas are related to software, ... could be of some help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CreativeChris

decus wrote: »
    I've been following this in the background too and would be very interested in attending the brainstorming session too. Working in management, IT company, so if some of the ideas are related to software, ... could be of some help ;)

???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

good lord, ive just found an oasis in the desert!! i am so in the same boat as all ye guys, i am currently working in a pretty well paid job in sales and all i want to do is strike out on my own, i'm not exactly sure of what it is yet although i am looking at something very closely at the moment, has anyone met up yet or has anyone any concrete ideas they are proceeding with??:)

Advertisement