Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Options
  • 06-06-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

What is it?

Virtua Fighter: the progenitor of the 3D fighting game.
    Still simple to play (just 3 buttons: Guard, Punch, Kick), still incredibly fast, and still incredibly rewarding to the dedicated player.

How much?

VF5:FS is out now on PSN & XBL.
    You can buy either the bare-bones game for ~€13, or on PSN you can get the game with all the costume DLC for €25 for the next 2 weeks.

How should I get started?

VF5:FS has a great, extensive training mode, and there's a decent community at VirtuaFighter.com

Sega are releasing a few videos too:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Also, if you subscribe to Playstation Plus you currently get it for free (as long as your subscription lasts).

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/05/these-are-your-free-playstation-plus-games-for-june/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daltronica

Will anyone else be maining this for a spell? Ill be on for some evening games? I love this series but have 0 exp - Suckers be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

daltronica wrote: »
    Will anyone else be maining this for a spell? Ill be on for some evening games? I love this series but have 0 exp - Suckers be warned!
    I'll start playing seriously from next week on; have family over ATM.

Also I'm on PSN. Any 360 players gonna bring this to casuals? Or should I just suck it up & bring my fatty PS3...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daltronica

Im on XBL BTW - too many gr8 fighting games right now,

G3cvT.jpg

Won this on eBay today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, VF5FS turned out sweet. Great game. I'll probably be maining this for the next while. I like Akira's new combos, or new combos with old inputs, they look cool. After messing around with Jean Kujo for a while, I can easily see him as being my main. Good mixup game and has a good blend of speed and power. I still want to get the dragon lance with Akira every time so I've been messing around in the Dojo A LOT. I've got a few good combos and strategies with Jean so I'll alternate between the two and just compare my success rate with each to determine who I'm better with.

Oh and I'm playing this on PSN. My PSN is: Leprekaun

I'll probably get the X360 demo though to compare with. I heard that there is a "slight" delay in inputs in the PS3 version compared to the X360 version so I may just get it for XBL. Having all costumisation packs for the PS3 version though is nice for the reduced cost.

Cheers Kiki! I'll download those vids.

Due to my excessive play of this, my left arm is totally messed up. It hurts quite badly now so I'll probably give this a rest for a couple days.

My VF stick just arrived in the mail, too.

I should be ready to play on PSN from Monday next after all the family business here is sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Just waiting for this to download now..Gonna give it a bash(hopefully not for just a day..Sigh)
    Then I'm after you Kiki...Whats the online like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

be pivking this up on wednesday to support sega ( as i do ) , be my first virtua fighter game .. any tips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Just starting playing it today.I forgot how much depth VF games have.
    It's fookin mind boogling.
    Haven't played them since VF2 on Saturn which I played inside out(and VF1)
    None of that Tekken Floaty floaty button mashing Sh1te...I hope.

The games really captures the tense moments between two players getting inside each others minds..Like SF3 parry system but on another level.

I'm trying to learn a few moves,see what works and then build on that slowly.
    I always found that the key to VF.
    If you try to take all the stuff in together for one character your brain explodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

How are people finding the online on this (PSN)? I seem to suffer completely random drops (most games i've played have had zero lag and i've tried a few other games i usually play online with no problems, so i doubt it's my connection). I can't have such bad luck that about 1 in 4 people i'm fighting with have dreadful connections?

I've also seen a couple of people with the angry network smiley, so i'm not the only one suffering disconnects.

Apart from that, it's nice to have VF back :)

be pivking this up on wednesday to support sega ( as i do ) , be my first virtua fighter game .. any tips ?

Glad to see another Sega fanboy! :D

If this is your first time playing, I would recommend experimenting with Lau, Kage and/or Pai first. These characters have simple strings (or combos). Other characters like Akira, Jeffry and Wolf are heavy hitters but in order to be good with them, require a lot of time of understanding the game, like setting up juggles and understanding what combos work where (is there a wall behind the opponent? If so, how can you take advantage of that?) and when (was it a normal hit or counter hit? If counter, what moves can I use to juggle the opponent?)

Just to note though, the concept of juggling and counter hitting also apply to Lau, Kage and Pai so don't completely ignore them if you want to be a high level player since you'll need to incorporate them in your game.

These principles which would take a lot of practice messing around with and if using Akira, need to have great proficiency with a joypad but even then, you need a proper arcade stick to use him most efficiently. For example, Akira has a move which is a double palm thrust, to execute this, you need to press down forward, down forward (or down back, down back), back, forward + punch. Once you're used to the joystick of an arcade stick, its a breeze to pull off. With the dpad of a dualshock or xbox controller, its not so much so. Also, Akira's famous knee juggler requires you to press the kick + guard buttons and after release the guard button within 1 frame which in terms of time, is 0.17 of a second which is ridiculously short so with an arcade stick, because of the button layout, its easier to pull this off, with a pad, there are various methods which people suggest, like setting up the guard button to be R1, or RB for X360, and placing the nail of your index finger on the right edge of the button so that your nail basically slides off the button as you're pressing it.

Anyway, thats a lot of jargon there you probably don't need to get into right now as you're still new to this. So yeah, play through the command training in Dojo mode for each of those characters (Lau, Kage and Pai) and see who you like best. Start here to understand how the VF system works. If its all overwhelming, just keep a simple rule in your head.

If you hit your opponent, you have the advantage which means that most moves that you do after that will beat any counter-attack your opponent may attempt. If your attack is guarded, you're at a disadvantage which means your opponent's attack, provided they chose to retaliate, will come out before your next attack if you choose to attack again. In this situation, I highly recommend to guard if your attack is guarded. Thats a MAJOR rule to keep in mind to play VF successfully. If ignored, you can lose health quickly. In some instances however, its good to pressure again, even if your attack is blocked but that applies to a more advanced level of play.

I wanted to mention by the way, for those that have both systems, the X360 has an edge. I have read on VFDC that with the X360 version, you can get to see how good the connection is between you and your opponent before you challenge them. In the PS3 version, you have to challenge your opponent first and then he is pinged and thats when you find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Got this a couple of weeks ago on PSN. Anyone wanna go a few rounds?

I've been up since last night so sorry Kuro-Tao, I'll have to pass, need my sleep!

By the way, just gauging interest, I'm thinking of heading down to XGC this Saturday to exclusively play VF5FS, provided I can download it there and the net is fast enough. Alternativey, I think I'll probably get FS for X360 as well so in that case, I can just copy it off my X360 onto a USB drive and copy it to one of the xboxes there. This will probably be my last casuals for the summer but hopefully, you'll be able to still find me online.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I've been up since last night so sorry Kuro-Tao, I'll have to pass, need my sleep!

By the way, just gauging interest, I'm thinking of heading down to XGC this Saturday to exclusively play VF5FS, provided I can download it there and the net is fast enough. Alternativey, I think I'll probably get FS for X360 as well so in that case, I can just copy it off my X360 onto a USB drive and copy it to one of the xboxes there. This will probably be my last casuals for the summer but hopefully, you'll be able to still find me online.

Saturday is a bit iffy for me. Can't promise much but I shall see.

You're better off getting a 360 copy onto USB, as XGC's internet is pretty slow (and so are PSN downloads! :pac: )

I could chip in a few quid too.

Nice long tutorial video by Dandy J
    • Basics - 0:28
    • Evade - 32:09
    • Knockdowns - 42:46
    • Fuzzy guard – 1:06:23
    • Option selects – 1:31:34
    • Back and side turned – 1:45:27
    • Ring outs and walls – 2:01:55
    • General tips – 2:18:01

• Advertisement

In regards to arcade stick modifications, would anyone know if its better to use an octo-gate with VF? The main reason I'm asking is because of the crouch dashing. I'm finding it near impossible to crouch dash forward when I'm facing left (in direction terms: down-left, down-left). Because I use Akira, crouch dashing is a necessity for performing the double palm thrust quickly or crouch dash 2 punch string so would using an octo-gate make crouch dashing easier? I am also considering getting a Seimitsu LS-32 instead of the Sanwa JLF. I know that the actual VF5 arcade uses Sanwa JLF but I've read on VFDC that people have said that the shorter joystick travel can be appreciated in playing VF because you don't have to move the joystick as much as you would with a JLF to register any inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Practising your execution is what improves your execution, not messing around with your stick.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Practising your execution is what improves your execution, not messing around with your stick.

I'm just going to keep requoting this every time someone thinks changing gate will make a game easier. I believe this is the fifth time :)

I would strongly advise against octogate.

Here's me quoting me as to why (I say the same thing every time)

I'd just buy the quanba and don't bother with the octogate, you're just handicapping yourself.

To quote me 7 months ago:
    I'm gonna say it again.

This is what happens with octo gates:

Person's execution sucks and they decide to do something about it. they see this alternate stick type the octogate, and go for it.

It feels weird but they put hundreds of hours into getting good with it and lo and behold, their execution is suddenly good.

They then attribute the change to the octogate and not their own work...

For a result they could have got just by doing the practice anyway AND could use everyone elses stick.

Like Dreddy/Doom say, you just need to practice :)
    For convenience, I will use Japanese notation:
    789   P K
    456  G

Maybe set up a training schedule like this:
    1. Set training dummy to all-guard
    2. Start with repeated crouch-dash ~ Guard, both left and right
      • 11~g ten times
      • 33~g ten times
    3. Now do single-palm from back-/forwards CD
      • 11~6p ten times
      • 33~6p ten times
    4. Finally do CD double palm
      • 11~46p ten times
      • 33~46p ten times

Seimitsu LS-32-01 is a decent alternative to the JLF though.
    I'll fix up a demo ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'd imagine crouchdashing would actually be much more awkward on an octo, on a square you just slam the stick sideways into the corner of the gate twice and voila.

Yeah, I suppose going with an octo isn't necessarily going to make any difference. I just thought because I generally ride the gate with the joystick that when I would want to do a crouch back dash, I'd be able to feel the diagonal down-left groove and keep directing it to that point. I suppose it could be argued that the same logic can be applied using a square gate by aiming the joystick at the bottom left corner.

Over at VFDC, it has been recommended that a Seimitsu stick makes life easier in VF, particularly with double tap motions so I would assume that crouch dashing falls into that catagory.

Another thing I was considering was seeing if its possible to get a right-handed metal panel so that I can install the joystick on the right side of the case and have the buttons on the left side. I remember you Doom explaining sometime last year, maybe even the year before, that one of the advantages you felt you had when using the joystick was because you're left handed so the fact that the joystick was positioned on the left side of the stick helped which made me think that maybe I'd be able to play better if I were to use my right hand for the joystick.

Anyway, for now, I think I'll see about investing into a Seimitsu LS-32-01 joystick and compare it to the JLF. An inconvenience to getting the Seimitsu ofcourse is that the JLF, with its looser feel, would probably suit SSFIV more so if I were to switch games, I'd have to take out the joystick and put in the JLF. Or I guess I could just get used to using the Seimitsu with SSFIV :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Glad to see another Sega fanboy! :D

If this is your first time playing, I would recommend experimenting with Lau, Kage and/or Pai first. These characters have simple strings (or combos). Other characters like Akira, Jeffry and Wolf are heavy hitters but in order to be good with them, require a lot of time of understanding the game, like setting up juggles and understanding what combos work where (is there a wall behind the opponent? If so, how can you take advantage of that?) and when (was it a normal hit or counter hit? If counter, what moves can I use to juggle the opponent?)

Just to note though, the concept of juggling and counter hitting also apply to Lau, Kage and Pai so don't completely ignore them if you want to be a high level player since you'll need to incorporate them in your game.

These principles which would take a lot of practice messing around with and if using Akira, need to have great proficiency with a joypad but even then, you need a proper arcade stick to use him most efficiently. For example, Akira has a move which is a double palm thrust, to execute this, you need to press down forward, down forward (or down back, down back), back, forward + punch. Once you're used to the joystick of an arcade stick, its a breeze to pull off. With the dpad of a dualshock or xbox controller, its not so much so. Also, Akira's famous knee juggler requires you to press the kick + guard buttons and after release the guard button within 1 frame which in terms of time, is 0.17 of a second which is ridiculously short so with an arcade stick, because of the button layout, its easier to pull this off, with a pad, there are various methods which people suggest, like setting up the guard button to be R1, or RB for X360, and placing the nail of your index finger on the right edge of the button so that your nail basically slides off the button as you're pressing it.

Anyway, thats a lot of jargon there you probably don't need to get into right now as you're still new to this. So yeah, play through the command training in Dojo mode for each of those characters (Lau, Kage and Pai) and see who you like best. Start here to understand how the VF system works. If its all overwhelming, just keep a simple rule in your head.

If you hit your opponent, you have the advantage which means that most moves that you do after that will beat any counter-attack your opponent may attempt. If your attack is guarded, you're at a disadvantage which means your opponent's attack, provided they chose to retaliate, will come out before your next attack if you choose to attack again. In this situation, I highly recommend to guard if your attack is guarded. Thats a MAJOR rule to keep in mind to play VF successfully. If ignored, you can lose health quickly. In some instances however, its good to pressure again, even if your attack is blocked but that applies to a more advanced level of play.

Holy **** this is awesome tip , cheers for spending time giving me this tip :D be picking it up tomorrow now i be sure to follow your guide :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Another thing I was considering was seeing if its possible to get a right-handed metal panel so that I can install the joystick on the right side of the case and have the buttons on the left side. I remember you Doom explaining sometime last year, maybe even the year before, that one of the advantages you felt you had when using the joystick was because you're left handed so the fact that the joystick was positioned on the left side of the stick helped which made me think that maybe I'd be able to play better if I were to use my right hand for the joystick.

I don't think I ever said I had an advantage, but yes I really do think everyone is playing on left handed sticks, as switch the buttons around and I (and several other lefty friends) are basically reduced to nothing whereas rigthties seem to be able to get over it relatively quick. I think it's a bizarre quirk that it's easier for everyone to just use the model we currently have.

But... and here is the crux of the thing, which I think both you and Mackdaddi need to accept to get better: the gear you already have is world class, as in the best players in the world use it. There's nothing wrong with the bog standard gear. Changing it to other top range gear will not resolve the core problem.

You can find an infinite amount of excuses why you're not better. Accepting simply that your execution is not up to scratch and honestly figuring out why (and considering the above statement, I'm pretty sure it aint the sticks) will help you waaaay more than all the modding in the world.

I can't hit Guile's flash kick FADC ultra reliably in a fight. The ultras not coming out. I'm not considering switching to a semitsu to see if it's easier: I'm learning how to do flash kick FADC ultra in the training room.

Because, if I got a semitsu, I'd be doing that anyway, being honest with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Woah, slow down there hotshot.

At this rate you might as well play on one of these:

800px-Steel_Battalion_controllers.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Leprekaun, practise. That's all you need to do.

Advertisement