Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Where's that Square gate vs Octo gate % picture? Not posted in this thread yet?

As far as I can remember Lep, because of the way Octos are designed, you have LESS chance of hitting a corner than you do with a square. The...... I dunno what you call it....contact distribution(?) on square gates are even for all directions, but for Octos are biased in favour of horizontals and verticals, and against diagonals.

I remember messing around in SSF4:AE on an Octogate with Yun, and I couldn't hit the divekick motion most of the time. And that was just "diagonally down forward + any kick button while in the air". Not a hard thing to do at all.

It seems to me that switching to Octo gate will actually handicap your execution on this specific move far more than anything else. And that's aside from all the reason Doom listed, which are also correct.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Where's that Square gate vs Octo gate % picture? Not posted in this thread yet?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60418246&postcount=20

That thread is basically this thread, except everyone except Dreddy doesn't seem to have copped on yet... over three years old! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

th_square_gate2.png

th_octagon_gate.png

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Right, I'll forget the octo gate. It was just an idea. I wanted to mention that my issue isn't actually being able to crouch dash using down-left, I can do that fine, no issue at all. Its just buffering the crouch dash into a double palm, thats where I'm having the issues. Either I get the single palm (OT: I must learn the actual names of these moves!) or just a F + P or a standing single palm but very rarely do I get it with the double palm, which for those who don't know Akira's moves, it's commands are down-forward/back, down-forward/back, b, f + P. The irony of all this is that a move which is considered harder to execute, the knee popper, I can do almost every time or every second time, as well as 95% of the time pull off the true dragon lance. Its just this bloody double palm thing to the left, frustrating the hell out of me. I'll just experiment with different joystick grips to see if I can find one more comfortable and efficient, maybe my grip is too primitive :P

I thought SFIV had some tricky combos but VF is a totally different ball game. Not sure if thats a good thing though, making it too difficult to do moves :/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I thought SFIV had some tricky combos but VF is a totally different ball game. Not sure if thats a good thing though, making it too difficult to do moves :/

Unless its changed since I was playing it, VF is also a game where a player keeping it simple can win through outreading the opponent to a degree beyond SF or the like. I can recall doing 80% damage flash kicks with Jacky in VF2 on dashing opponents, and Wolf having 50% approx throws all over the place. I could win plenty of fights with either of them: Couldn't manage a thing with Akira.

You're picking a complicated character in a complicated game, don't lose sight of what actually wins fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Unless its changed since I was playing it, VF is also a game where a player keeping it simple can win through outreading the opponent to a degree beyond SF or the like. I can recall doing 80% damage flash kicks with Jacky in VF2 on dashing opponents, and Wolf having 50% approx throws all over the place. I could win plenty of fights with either of them: Couldn't manage a thing with Akira.

You're picking a complicated character in a complicated game, don't lose sight of what actually wins fights.

100% there. I'm maining Sarah, played 50 ranked matches online (PSN) and i've won 36 of them.

I've come up against a few people who'll knock you down, start flapping about with a combo while i'm still on the ground, i end up sweeping them during their recovery frames, pouncing on them, back dashing out of range of the inevitable get up sweep, pound them with a good combo during the recovery from that. That's anywhere from 50 to 80% of their health gone.

I've also gone down 2 rounds to people only to win the fight 3-2 because they've learned a few moves to spam and not actually adapting to the fight, and within the space of 3 rounds i already have a counter strategy. The flipside of that is don't telegraph your own moves, there's a few moves i won't use until the final round (if i can help it), so the opponent gets new stuff thrown at them and doesn't know how to deal with it.

You're right, Ultrachen did a bunch of eps in a row focused on VF5 with L.A. Akira who was able to explain the mechanics really well (he was a SF player who changed over to VF years ago).

He said that Jean Kujo is the character Sega pretty specifically put into VF5 because he's easy to use.

This was a solution to the problem that Akira, who is their trademark character, is also one of the hardest to use. So anyone who knows nothing about VF and picks him will get massively discouraged and blame it on the game instead of the char.

I know that Akira is a hard character to master but thats part of what makes it rewarding once you get things right. Though contrary to what most people think of when they play Akira, pure frustration, which if I were honest, I do get frustrated as well sometimes when certain moves don't come out, he's fun to use. Once you get his combos down, and I am a combo whore, they look so cool, especially with the new animations in VF5FS. Partially the reason why I use Akira, as well as Akuma, is because of the amount of damage they can lay into the opponent. I just like power characters, though not slow wrestling characters, just characters who are a bit more on the side of power than on speed.

I also think that even if you don't main Akira at all, he's a great character for building in strong muscle memory. With some of the complex combos, once you get them right, learning new combos for characters is actually relatively easy, it can even help your execution in other fighters like SF, BB or T6.

By the way, in regards to the casuals tomorrow, sorry lads, I'm not sure if I can make it now so Kiki, you may have to bring in your ps3 after all to play VF5FS. My brother needs me to help him out with some lag HDTV testing tomorrow (taking in his ps3 and my fightstick into Currys to mess around with SSFIV on different TVs, yep, going to get funny looks and tsks off ignorant folk :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

I know that Akira is a hard character to master but thats part of what makes it rewarding once you get things right. Though contrary to what most people think of when they play Akira, pure frustration, which if I were honest, I do get frustrated as well sometimes when certain moves don't come out, he's fun to use. Once you get his combos down, and I am a combo whore, they look so cool, especially with the new animations in VF5FS. Partially the reason why I use Akira, as well as Akuma, is because of the amount of damage they can lay into the opponent. I just like power characters, though not slow wrestling characters, just characters who are a bit more on the side of power than on speed.

I also think that even if you don't main Akira at all, he's a great character for building in strong muscle memory. With some of the complex combos, once you get them right, learning new combos for characters is actually relatively easy, it can even help your execution in other fighters like SF, BB or T6.

By the way, in regards to the casuals tomorrow, sorry lads, I'm not sure if I can make it now so Kiki, you may have to bring in your ps3 after all to play VF5FS. My brother needs me to help him out with some lag HDTV testing tomorrow (taking in his ps3 and my fightstick into Currys to mess around with SSFIV on different TVs, yep, going to get funny looks and tsks off ignorant folk :pac:)

Picking Akira has absolutely nothing to do with good execution, not in Tekken, BB or any other game for that matter, other than having a good Akira. I feel like I'm echoing things several people have said already, but stop downplaying Akira and preaching execution if you clearly need to work on your own.
    Also just to point out, Akira has no lack of options, it's not like not being able to do that one single poke is going to cost you much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Finally got the game today played bout 30 matches online , won 17 lost 13
    Game is fantastic , online bit annoying trying to get into matches
    Jacky bryant is my main man ..;)

If anyone up for a game on psn feel free to add me boh3mianrhapsdy :D

• Advertisement

So Kiki. We playing tonight?

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    So Kiki. We playing tonight?
    Yo, sorry for the delay; I didn't come home from casuals 'til past midnight :pac:

GGs Kuro.
    Think some of my rust is starting to shake off.
    Also your Jacky is pretty fierce for someone who just got started!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Anyone playing this on Xbox for a few games?

Sorry Richy my net went kaputt. Hopefully we'll play more later.

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    Sorry Richy my net went kaputt. Hopefully we'll play more later.

No worries kuro , hopefully next time my net stop being an asshole :pac:

PSN lobby up now, will be on until midnight-ish.

ggs richymcdermott

Im gonna practice optimal combos now ;)

Anyone for games right now on PSN? I've been using Akira mainly online now so I'm curious to see how my Jean Kujo holds up.

For casuals, I've noticed in another thread about organising some casuals for Wednesday so I was thinking of going down so would anyone be up for some VF5FS in XGC on Wednesday? I've got the demo of VF5FS on X360 and I'll be going to get some MS points to buy the full version. If there is no interest though, I probably won't be getting it for X360.

I'm not around this week until Saturday (if even), sorry.

Also I still need to buy a 360 converter for my stick :/

Fair enough. Actually, I'm going to wait a few more days on getting the X360 version of VF5FS. I'm entered into the draw on SRK for VF5FS for X360 so hopefully, I can win a copy. If not, I'll probably still get it though.

• Advertisement

I'm entered into the draw on SRK for VF5FS for X360

Ooh, is this still open?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    ggs richymcdermott

Im gonna practice optimal combos now ;)

Oh , it was you i was playing , you are very good , i got lucky few times :)

Anyone wanna play tonight/this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Thought I'd bump this thread to ask some more seasoned players for advice.

I got VF5FS last weekend - I've played quite a few fighting games all very badly and I very quickly lose interest in them when it descends into repetitive combo execution. I'm really liking VF's simplified system using attack, guard, evade for what is essentially rock, paper, scissors. It's the first time that I've wanted to put some time in and play a FG online and give some thought to what I'm doing.

However, a few questions:

- wake up game. I don't have it. Maybe I'll be able to ukemi with some more experience, but for the time being I'm getting grounded a lot. Currently I'm resisting the urge to come out of prone by striking unless my opponent is whiffing over me - but I'm eating a lot of punishment from grounded attacks from all characters, but particularly Kage and Jeffry as well as Aoi and Goh's grounded holds. Can I roll out of prone if I missed the GPK on landing, and is this safe?

- playstyle - while I work things out I'm a guard first kind of player. I'm playing Lau, and relying heavily on using the first two rounds to see what kind of strings I'm going to be guarding against - and if there aren't many lows being thrown I'm coming out of blockstun with 2P, 2K, or 1P - I sometimes gamble on 2GK. When I guard low, and my opponent whiffs high I don't currently try to punish, but I think I probably should. Can that be a safe opening to start with a mid, something like 23P if I can execute it? (I'm talking about punishing bnb PPP strings.)

- evading. I don't understand open/close stance - I can look at a diagram of it fine, but it's not in my mind when I'm playing. Is it a general rule that the direction to evade is toward your opponent's back, i.e. I've noticed success evading Jacky if he has back to the camera and I tap down to move to foreground? I haven't attempted a lot of evading because not all moves can be avoided, but I also wonder if generally speaking single button input moves such as at the start of a string are avoidable, but standalone power moves (PK, GK moves typically) aren't?

raze wrote: »
    Thought I'd bump this thread to ask some more seasoned players for advice.

I got VF5FS last weekend - I've played quite a few fighting games all very badly and I very quickly lose interest in them when it descends into repetitive combo execution. I'm really liking VF's simplified system using attack, guard, evade for what is essentially rock, paper, scissors. It's the first time that I've wanted to put some time in and play a FG online and give some thought to what I'm doing.

However, a few questions:

- wake up game. I don't have it. Maybe I'll be able to ukemi with some more experience, but for the time being I'm getting grounded a lot. Currently I'm resisting the urge to come out of prone by striking unless my opponent is whiffing over me - but I'm eating a lot of punishment from grounded attacks from all characters, but particularly Kage and Jeffry as well as Aoi and Goh's grounded holds. Can I roll out of prone if I missed the GPK on landing, and is this safe?
    You can escape ground-throws, but IIRC it's a 50-50 (either 2PG or 3PG).
    8P pounce is never guaranteed (except maybe for Lion?) so keep practicing your rolls.
    Also, if you hold Guard you can back/side roll.
    - playstyle - while I work things out I'm a guard first kind of player. I'm playing Lau, and relying heavily on using the first two rounds to see what kind of strings I'm going to be guarding against - and if there aren't many lows being thrown I'm coming out of blockstun with 2P, 2K, or 1P - I sometimes gamble on 2GK. When I guard low, and my opponent whiffs high I don't currently try to punish, but I think I probably should. Can that be a safe opening to start with a mid, something like 23P if I can execute it? (I'm talking about punishing bnb PPP strings.)
    I'd say look at your FC attacks -- I play Aoi and am trying to teach myself to punish all high whiffs with FC 3P~PG (53dmg) or maybe FC 3PK,P (combo starter).
    - evading. I don't understand open/close stance - I can look at a diagram of it fine, but it's not in my mind when I'm playing. Is it a general rule that the direction to evade is toward your opponent's back, i.e. I've noticed success evading Jacky if he has back to the camera and I tap down to move to foreground? I haven't attempted a lot of evading because not all moves can be avoided, but I also wonder if generally speaking single button input moves such as at the start of a string are avoidable, but standalone power moves (PK, GK moves typically) aren't?
    If you go into training mode, you can see a little arrow to show you which direction to evade into for each move. Don't forget about circular/half-circular moves too! Really though, don't worry about evading, and focus on Guarding or things like fuzzy-Guard (33~G) in the tutorial.

WTF is the story with notation in this game.
    2, 3 8..explain.
    Is 3 diagonal:confused:..judging from fuzzy guard command you stated Kikki it is.(33~G) Man,I aint got room in my brain for more notations.
    SF makes sense...this is just mad and there is only 3 buttons..

Maka the sense for me please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The notation is done like a number pad.

so 33G is down forward, down forward, guard.

A shoryu done this way would be 623 P

Jebus that makes sense now.. cheers Dan.why a number pad though?
    thats why I was gettin confused.
    Numbers on a clock make more sense
    any way shoryu is just 33P so...Cheeeeeeeeeep:)

TBH, I still kinda hate numpad notation, but it is easy to write/spell out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 daltronica

Anyone playing this on Xbox for a few games?

Ill be on , dying for some solid player matches . I cant get best Hunter.

Advertisement