Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Solid ain't exactly me.
    Just learning the mechanics of the game at the mo
    Add me any way..game tag same as boards name.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daltronica

Solid ain't exactly me.
    Just learning the mechanics of the game at the mo
    Add me any way..game tag same as boards name.

Good games! - yeah I'm trying to loose my bad street fighter 4 habits. Back dash is NOT invincible in this game. And tick throwing is way different. Dont even start about fuzzy guarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

GGs daltronica (I'm the Sarah player who beat you a couple of times in Ranked tonight). Yeah, just keep practising, watch some of the tutorial videos that are out there, and it'll click soon enough. Recently I've been winning about 50% of my games - for a long time it was more like 10%.

By the way, if anyone would like an online tournament for this game then this might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daltronica

Yreval wrote: »
    GGs daltronica (I'm the Sarah player who beat you a couple of times in Ranked tonight). Yeah, just keep practising, watch some of the tutorial videos that are out there, and it'll click soon enough. Recently I've been winning about 50% of my games - for a long time it was more like 10%.

By the way, if anyone would like an online tournament for this game then this might be of interest.

Yeah I know, GGs, couldnt touch ya. i feel like theres so many crazy moves and stances that it makes yer head spin . I just like the ease of execution, not mad memorization like some other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Anyone on xbox that wants a few games of this then add me. My xbox name is Private Derp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Anyone still playing this? Probing for interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I can pick it back up if you're interested.

I just wish it had been a disc release, for easier offline casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Haven't played it in a good while but I still dabble in it (like most things :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Yeah, I'm still playing FS constantly since release. I'll be coming down to Dublin soon (perhaps next Saturday) and I can bring it on my USB stick for X360.

Oh by the way, I am using a new PSN account for FGs now. Its Jun_Chikara so if you're looking for VF/SF/BB etc., you'll find me playing those on my Jun_Chikara account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MelficeVKM

Still play it sometimes, just don't know anyone who plays it much now lol. If anyone wants some games on it my tag's MelficeVKM (have it for both systems cuz im a tool :pac:)

Anyone for games tonight? (PSN)

Anyone here using an LS-40 for their joystick? Does it work well with VF? LS-32 still feels loose. It's better than the JLF but still a little loose :(

Anyone here using an LS-40 for their joystick? Does it work well with VF? LS-32 still feels loose. It's better than the JLF but still a little loose :(
    Sorry, wasn't home but I'll play you during the week.

Don't know of any tighter sticks for you yo try, but I'll say that LS-32 is my favourite for VF. Keep practicing. :)

Yeah, I'll give the LS-32 a fair chance before deciding on whether or not to get the LS-40. I know that the LS-40 has the same spring used in the LS-32. The only difference between them is that the LS-40 has shorter travel and if you're really picky again, the LS-56 is meant to be shorter again. I'll ask on VFDC as well to see what others mainly use for VF but thanks for the input Kiki.

Anyone for games tonight on PSN?

PSN ID: Jun_Chikara

Really busy with college work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Mike Watson decides to drop VF5 from Wednesday Night fights due to lack of interest.

Accompanies a pretty good post:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/dec/19/mike-watson-virtua-fighter-5s-lack-support-should-be-example-how-game-dies-community/

I feel bad for LA Akira, that dude was busting his ass to get people to come. Between the Ultrachen tutorials and giving new players his own money as incentive, I'm not sure he could have done more to maintain interest in his game. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think there's no game immune from that, SF4, Marvel, any game.

You don't go to tournaments, there stops being tournaments.

VF5 couldn't even get off the ground here, simply too many games and not enough players.

Aye, it's a real shame.

As far as "effort to promote your scene" goes, I think LA Akira really went above and beyond.

As well as doing the Ultrachen tutorials, he also offered cash prizes out of pocket to any new player who could beat him in a game, as well as to whoever could win a tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah, I've been out of pocket from tournaments a couple of times and it's pissed me off royally. Fair fecks to the dude.

That's a real shame. VF is a really good fighter if people would just give it a chance. I've read before that Ryan Hart's favourite FG is in fact VF so it's surely good if a top player would think that. Just such a shame that it has such a small community :(.

After Akira being my main since vanilla, I'm starting to think he's overpowered :/. According to the tier list released by Arcadia, he's the top character in the game. I know in VF tier lists aren't as significant as SF but it's ridiculous how many moves Akira has that can't be punished or at least very hard to punish (4,6+P is a guaranteed combo if it connects but if guarded is +1 :/) so technically, you could always attack again with a standing P if the other guy chooses to attack.

And the way the character floats now in FS gives Akira many more combos that he never had in vanilla (e.g.: 4,6+P, 6_P, DLC). That combo only connected against lightweights in vanilla but in FS, it connects from middleweights and lower and even against heavyweights, if you replace the DLC with 2_6P, P, you still get good damage off of it when in vanilla, you could only use double palm.

As some of you have seen when playing online, I also use Shun, Taka and Jean. Shun is brilliant for mixup but the fact that you have to manage his drink count means that if someone persists attacking, he will sap the drinks away and lessen his options. I know combos for Taka but I still don't really know him in terms of strategy so that leaves me with Jean. Similarly to Taka, I only really know combos for Jean but I like his speed compared to Shun and Taka so I'll probably main him for the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MelficeVKM

I only really know combos for Jean

Here's his (imo) important moves:

On top of standard P and 6P pressure, 4P+K is a great mid. 21F startup but only -3 on block (can still fuzzy guard after :D) and gives crumple on counterhit.

33P+K - safe mid (-8, no fuzzy guard :<) and gives juggle on normal hit. Can be useful due to 19F startup and no ch needed but I tend to use 4P+K instead.

1P great low for chipping away health, not punishable on block (-7)

Most Jeans like GentlemanThief use 2K+G to stop sidestep. Hits low too, but it's launcher punishable on block! (-18). I use K+G instead, full circular, 3F faster startup, gives sideturn on normal hit and only -5 on block (fuzzy guard available). Tradeoff is it's a high :(

66P is good for spacing out, but it's -8 on block sadly, feels much less.

Universal launcher (with 6K) (Taka too!) combo: 6K, 9K+G, 33P+K [69 dmg]

Reliable wall combo: 66P+K, 1P+K, P, 3K+G, 4PK, 46K+G [93 dmg]

Cancellable strings: 4K, hold P, [cancel into K] is great for catching ppl low when they're unfamilar.
    For sidesteppers, 9K, hold P, [cancel into K], and 4P, hold P [cancel into K] are useful.

Best throw is 66P+G but 4P+G is still good dmg. No-one ever techs the back throw lol

Easy way to land wall combo with him is cancel into low from his 4K, hold P string (+5 on hit) and do immediate 66P+K. 10f gap that blows up anyone rolling their face on buttons for 93 dmg :pac:

Sorry for info being thrown out unorganised, I only play VF5FS casually now ('cuz no-one plays it :pac:) but I played a lot on release. Hope it helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

This game is down to €5 for this week on Xbox Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Sairus wrote: »
    This game is down to €5 for this week on Xbox Live.

Be warned, the €5 version is the original VF5, i.e. the one that was sold on disc. The XBL sale is for games on demand, and doesn't seem to include any arcade titles. As such it's not the newer (and marginally more active online) VF5:FS which is still 1200 MS Points last I checked.

raze wrote: »
    Be warned, the €5 version is the original VF5, i.e. the one that was sold on disc. The XBL sale is for games on demand, and doesn't seem to include any arcade titles. As such it's not the newer (and marginally more active online) VF5:FS which is still 1200 MS Points last I checked.

It's a well confusing sale alright, but VF5:FS is absolutely reduced to 400 points as well VF5 vanilla, it's just not visible from the main dashboard sale. I bought it last night.

Search Virtua Fighter or go to XBL Arcade (NOT Games on Demand) and you'll find it there.

TL;DR:
    Buy the thing with this preview image:
    url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=zgLzIHehTssFSM&tbnid=1rXEYxKeUmhTIM:&ved=0CAUQjBwwADgN&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nowgamer.com%2Fsiteimage%2Fscale%2F800%2F600%2F332909.png&ei=CKA3UcuUFsSPO-CEgJAF&psig=AFQjCNGIjySMsRGKMU7d3gSO3GVK3mQQAA&ust=1362686344421198

NOT these images:
    Virtua_Fighter_5_Box_Art.jpg

250px-El_Blaze_Headshot_Cropped.png

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

It's a well confusing sale alright, but VF5:FS is absolutely reduced to 400 points as well VF5 vanilla, it's just not visible from the main dashboard sale. I bought it last night.

Thanks for the correction. I had heard it was going to be discounted, found VF5 on Monday, but when I checked FS I saw it was still 1200. Nice one, and apologies for the misinformation before.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I bought vanilla VF5 when it was on sale for 3 quid and loved it. So naturally I picked up FS when it was on sale for 400MP. I am really liking the game, I am going to start practicing the game properly when I get a chance.

Also I think I am in love with Eileen. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I bought vanilla VF5 when it was on sale for 3 quid and loved it. So naturally I picked up FS when it was on sale for 400MP. I am really liking the game, I am going to start practicing the game properly when I get a chance.

Also I think I am in love with Eileen. :rolleyes:

Advertisement