Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tank Charge and its uses

Options
  • 06-06-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Building on my personal view that E.U policies are vastly incorrect, as the septic tank charge is a environment tax the whole reason behind any environmental policy is to improve the environment as a result of the policy.So the logical in the foreseeable future of this charge's usage is counter productive by withdrawing the public's funds to develop personal self-sufficient activities, instead the use and collection of the tax should be used to replace the existing waste system (as people are reluctant to replace what is not broke) of the person's household to eco-friendly systems such as reed beds/tanks or compost toilets, etc. In result meeting international environmental targets and providing a boost to the eco-systems providers and designs (leading to greater revenue intake and job creation).

Your Views?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You are of course, correct.

Its just another tax, with a fancy name to make it sound like its there to do good.

Bit like the Carbon tax on our heating material too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

How much do you really think €10 a year per tank will raise? Leaving aside the early-bird €5 rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

The 5 euro and 10 euro is a temptation just to get you registered. Just watch and see how much it goes up year by year.
    What I do not get is the fact what if you have a 'reed bed' do you still get charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

No reason anyone should get charged if you have a "reed bed" as your waste is being correctly treated, also if the government are willing to have a grant system for solar panels, etc there's no reason not to have a grant system for eco-friendly waste collection or simply cancel/reduce the tax intake from these waste systems or installation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It could be used to develop and enforce sustainable housing policies. Pigs will fly first though.

• Advertisement

The 5 euro and 10 euro is a temptation just to get you registered.

There was me thinking it was a legal requirement. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I didn't see any mention of a €10 yearly fee?

I thought it was just the €5 or €50 reg charge.

woodoo wrote: »
    I didn't see any mention of a €10 yearly fee?

I thought it was just the €5 or €50 reg charge.

€50 for five years hence €10 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The 5 euro and 10 euro is a temptation just to get you registered. Just watch and see how much it goes up year by year.
    From the Water Service (Amendment) Act2012;
    70B.(5) A certificate of registration shall be valid for a period of 5 years from the date on which it was issued.

70B.(13)(b) the fee payable to the water services authority, which shall not exceed €50, which shall accompany an application under subsection (2);
    No reason anyone should get charged if you have a "reed bed" as your waste is being correctly treated, also if the government are willing to have a grant system for solar panels, etc there's no reason not to have a grant system for eco-friendly waste collection or simply cancel/reduce the tax intake from these waste systems or installation costs.
    The legislation also states that the responsibilities of owners of a premises connected to a domestic waste water treatment systems are;
    70C.—(1) The owner of a premises connected to a domestic waste water treatment system shall—
    (a) comply with regulations made under section 70L,
    (b) ensure that the system does not constitute, and is not likely to constitute, a risk to human health or the environment, and, in particular does not—
    (i) create a risk to water, air or soil, or to plants and animals,
    (ii) create a nuisance through noise or odours, or
    (iii) adversely affect the countryside or places of special interest, and
    (c) ensure that the system is entered on a register of domestic waste water treatment systems in accordance with section 70B.
    It is not about having a septic tank or reed beds, it is about not damaging the environment. In reed beds systems, the waste will generally need some type of primary treatment before getting that far. Simply saying "Its OKay, I have a reed bed" is not good enough because the reed bed may not be able to cop with the volume of waste, causing contamination. That is why inspections are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

Good Points, but I feel that if people are more self-sufficient the cost to the state will be on a decrease as people will be growing their own food and providing their electricity, also community groups would do the same thing, leading to a vast decrease in social protection expenditure.

Also there was a report a few months back showing that the waste treatment plants across the country, many don't meet E.U standards and no great decision being made there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

there was no charge onto the public before with regard to septic charge,how did they extract the money elsewhere?where did the money come from ,how did they get paid?

there was no charge onto the public before with regard to septic charge,how did they extract the money elsewhere?where did the money come from ,how did they get paid?

How do who get 'paid'? There were no inspections before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The motor tax on my low emissions car increased by slightly over 50% this year. Too many people had changed to low emissions vehicles, and the tax take shrunk too much.

Irish governments don't 'do' long term thinking.
    The best you will get is a short term incentive to change, which will be removed once enough people have changed.

Unfortunately, Irish people tend to look the other way until they are personally affected, so it's very easy to play divide and conquer with the Irish taxpayer.

Advertisement