Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty ATM ate my card, debited my a/c

Options
  • 06-06-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

So I tried to take money out of an ATM this evening.

Machine took card, I went through the process and machine tells me to take my card and wait for my money.

Except that the machine makes lots of noise but fails to spit out my card. Eventually tells me I haven't taken the card(!) and swallows it. But it didn't give me any money!

I phoned the bank immediately. They said they had to cancel the card and issue a new one. 10 bloody working days as they are now issuing Visa Debit cards. Why that means 10 days I don't know.

I'm told the transcation has been debited from my a/c but it should rectify itself within an hour. 4 hours later it still hasn't.

Need to go to the bank first thing (mainly to get enough cash to last me the weekend.) But I'm hoping the incorrect transaction can be cancelled without hassle?

So can anyone reassure me that I haven't just lost €120?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    So I tried to take money out of an ATM this evening.

Machine took card, I went through the process and machine tells me to take my card and wait for my money.

Except that the machine makes lots of noise but fails to spit out my card. Eventually tells me I haven't taken the card(!) and swallows it. But it didn't give me any money!

I phoned the bank immediately. They said they had to cancel the card and issue a new one. 10 bloody working days as they are now issuing Visa Debit cards. Why that means 10 days I don't know.

I'm told the transcation has been debited from my a/c but it should rectify itself within an hour. 4 hours later it still hasn't.

Need to go to the bank first thing (mainly to get enough cash to last me the weekend.) But I'm hoping the incorrect transaction can be cancelled without hassle?

So can anyone reassure me that I haven't just lost €120?

I've seen this happen before, you'll get your money back.
    The camera will have recorded exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I've seen this happen before, you'll get your money back.
    The camera will have recorded exactly what happened.

Camera has nothing to do with it.

OP, ATM will have recorded the incident and will show the money not given out. This happens sometimes and generally it fixes itself overnight so would check it tomorrow instead. I don't know why you were told an hour as this is generally something that gets updated overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Similar happened to me before, it took about a day until it reappeared in my account. Don't sweat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Approcahing 48 hours later, and the money has still not been credited back into my account :mad:

One branch visit & 2 phonecalls and the best I've got is that it will be passed on to someone else and flagged as urgent. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Phew! There's an ATM refund showing on my account this afternoon.

All sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement