Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming pool opening?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Sorry, I have read through this thread but I am still confused.
    Do UCD Students have free access to the Gym from opening day and through the academic year? If so do we use our U-card to access it?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

Read through the thread but im still a bit unclear on a couple of things.

I've just finished my final year and graduate in September. Am I still considered a student?

If I just want to use the gym and not the pool do I have to pay in ?

I'd appreciate if somebody could answer the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

alph wrote: »
    Read through the thread but im still a bit unclear on a couple of things.

I've just finished my final year and graduate in September. Am I still considered a student?

If I just want to use the gym and not the pool do I have to pay in ?

I'd appreciate if somebody could answer the above.

You are still a student so can use the gym until you graduate (I have been doing this) for free. You just have to fill out a membership form the first time you go.

You can use the pool as well if you want but have to pay for it, €4 payg. I presume students who are about to leave can't pay €100 for a years membership to the pool as they will be graduating but I haven't asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You can pay 100 quid, but it'll only do you until your student card expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I'm not defending it, but I would imagine their reasoning is that students helped fund it through the student levy fee, so its only fair that it is 'free' for them. Staff didn't fund it, so why should they get it for free? Also, it's has to make money some way, and staff get paid while us students are poor.

I paid the bloody levy fee for years in college and the pool has only just been finished. Alumni membership cost is ridiculously steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

What gets me at the moment is that some people just can't adhere to lane ettiquette. It even says so on all the signs, go clockwise in a lane. But no, there are some who don't know what clockwise is and go counter-clockwise, or even just up and down one side of the lane. /rant

valerie wrote: »
    I paid the bloody levy fee for years in college and the pool has only just been finished. Alumni membership cost is ridiculously steep.

€46/month for those facilities is far from steep. For what's on offer its a great deal in fact. And I say that as someone whose in the same position as you. I paid the student levy for 6 years, only for it to be finished the summer I'm leaving. But that's development for you.

Preusse wrote: »
    What gets me at the moment is that some people just can't adhere to lane ettiquette. It even says so on all the signs, go clockwise in a lane. But no, there are some who don't know what clockwise is and go counter-clockwise, or even just up and down one side of the lane. /rant

Bugs me so much too. Nothing worse than whacking your hand off of somebody swimming the opposite direction to you on the wrong side of the lane. I must say though that I haven't noticed it as being a problem in UCD, but I have only been in the morning when I have a choice of empty lanes to choose from.

Bugs me so much too. Nothing worse than whacking your hand off of somebody swimming the opposite direction to you on the wrong side of the lane. I must say though that I haven't noticed it as being a problem in UCD, but I have only been in the morning when I have a choice of empty lanes to choose from.

Although I noticed that even when going clockwise. The whacking I mean, even if you try to stay out of the other's way it sometimes seems they push over towards the middle of the lane. Yes, the mornings are OK but even at such an early time there are people who do not change to the clockwise fashion when someone enters "their" lane. The fast people also stay quite towards the last couple of lanes (higher numbered lanes) leaving the first lanes (3 and 4 etc) for slow swimmers which is good as these are alos the lanes closer to the steps. I am fairly slow but have to get my 1 hour in every morning for health issues. So it wouldn't be me barging into someone but I expect the same courtesy in return.

Although I noticed that even when going clockwise. The whacking I mean, even if you try to stay out of the other's way it sometimes seems they push over towards the middle of the lane. Yes, the mornings are OK but even at such an early time there are people who do not change to the clockwise fashion when someone enters "their" lane. The fast people also stay quite towards the last couple of lanes (higher numbered lanes) leaving the first lanes (3 and 4 etc) for slow swimmers which is good as these are alos the lanes closer to the steps. I am fairly slow but have to get my 1 hour in every morning for health issues. So it wouldn't be me barging into someone but I expect the same courtesy in return.

At least if people are swimming the correct way you only have to look out for those swimming in your lane rather than the one beside you as well. Although its not as much of a problem in UCD compared to other pools as they have the big lane dividers rather than a rope with a couple of buoys. But I agree with you.

I hope that when college starts back they mark out slower to faster lanes. Its annoying for faster swimmers having someone slowing you down, and I would imagine its equally annoying for slower swimmers having someone swimming up your ass (excuse me :o).

Great facility for people in UCD - swimming is a fantastic form of exercise for people of all fitness levels imo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

errlloyd wrote: »
    This was one built for by students of UCD, the high cost might help supplement a college that needs funding.

Fixed that for you.

At least if people are swimming the correct way you only have to look out for those swimming in your lane rather than the one beside you as well. Although its not as much of a problem in UCD compared to other pools as they have the big lane dividers rather than a rope with a couple of buoys. But I agree with you.

I hope that when college starts back they mark out slower to faster lanes. Its annoying for faster swimmers having someone slowing you down, and I would imagine its equally annoying for slower swimmers having someone swimming up your ass (excuse me :o).

Great facility for people in UCD - swimming is a fantastic form of exercise for people of all fitness levels imo :)

Yes, it would be great to have dedicated fast and slow lanes once the term starts. I must say, today was much better, all the people I met in "my" usual lane were extremely accommodating and friendly. No problems whatsoever. Makes it really enjoyable.

dyl10 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

In part by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭SirBorbey

Hello Guys could anyone pls be kind enough to tell me what part of Dublin these areas are (i.e North, South, North Co. e.t.c.) - Milltown, Dundrum and Clonskeagh.

SirBorbey wrote: »
    Hello Guys could anyone pls be kind enough to tell me what part of Dublin these areas are (i.e North, South, North Co. e.t.c.) - Milltown, Dundrum and Clonskeagh.

They are all in south Dublin, beside or near UCD. Google Maps is your friend btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Clonskeagh is closest to UCD by a good bit, Dundrum and milltown are farther out, you could cycle it no problem though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭SirBorbey

Thank you very much guys, cheers. Trying to source for a property on Daft.ie (never being to Ireland) all it says about areas of properties are North , South e.t.c. given what you've just mentioned i guess i'l be safe looking for properties in the south of dublin now? thanks guys.

Thank you very much guys, cheers. Trying to source for a property on Daft.ie (never being to Ireland) all it says about areas of properties are North , South e.t.c. given what you've just mentioned i guess i'l be safe looking for properties in the south of dublin now? thanks guys.

The easiest thing to do is use the advanced search function on daft.ie.There is an option to search for properties near the university of your choice, so you can select UCD and it will come back with properties near UCD, or on transport lines to UCD, whichever option you chose. G'luck with the search.

Yes, it would be great to have dedicated fast and slow lanes once the term starts. I must say, today was much better, all the people I met in "my" usual lane were extremely accommodating and friendly. No problems whatsoever. Makes it really enjoyable.

Actually, I noticed now that there are dedicated lanes: lane 3 is a slow lane, lane 4 a medium lane and the rest are fast lanes. Hope they are going to enforce this soon as I noticed fast people in the slow lane and slow people had to go into fast lanes etc. Can be quite uncomfortable for slow swimmers to be pushed so far away from the ladders or into lanes which may be taken over by fast swimmers etc. At the moment the majority of lanes are fast lanes so there shouldn't be any reason for fast swimmers taking up the slow lane when all other fast lanes are available. And again, it's clockwise in the lane, not forth and back on one side or counterclockwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Can non ucd members use the gym if they pay in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Can non ucd members use the gym if they pay in?

Yes. Free for students, paid for public. Not sure what the price is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

C14N wrote: »
    Yes. Free for students, paid for public. Not sure what the price is though.

20 quid it turns out!

Advertisement