Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattooist in Ballymote?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I was thinking of setting up a tattoo business in Ballymote. Does anyone think that a tattooist is plausible in a town like Ballymote? Would there be enough business from the locals and the neighbouring towns to allow the business to survive?

Tattoo studios in Ireland usually stick to the cities but I will not be able to afford the rent in the city on my start-up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

psychoead wrote: »
    I was thinking of setting up a tattoo business in Ballymote. Does anyone think that a tattooist is plausible in a town like Ballymote? Would there be enough business from the locals and the neighbouring towns to allow the business to survive?

Tattoo studios in Ireland usually stick to the cities but I will not be able to afford the rent in the city on my start-up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Knowing Ballymote (and the west in general) you probably won't get a lot of walk-in business.
    If you're extremely good, word of mouth might mean people travel to get inked by you, but truthfully if you're only average, nobody will bother travelling to you when they can go to a better artist in a bigger town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 psychoead

Knowing Ballymote (and the west in general) you probably won't get a lot of walk-in business.

That's what I was thinking to be honest. It's so mad really. There are 3 tattooists in Sligo I think. And where I'm from there is over 30. But that's Birmingham so much larger population.

I feel confident that I could compete with the tattooists in Sligo but who wants to travel to a small town to get a tattoo? I mean, I'm better than average but I stick to what I know and throw in some contemporary stuff.

Ah, this idea stopped making sense. Maybe if I could rent space in a hairdressers or barbers I could get a couple of days work a week.

Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 staceeyy3

I live in Ballymote and I am dying to find one Artist to stick to, so speaking for myself yeh of course I would use a tattooist in Ballymote, Remember there are a lot of surrounding towns where Ballymote is the equivalent of Sligo Town for them... Set up a facebook page and you wont be long getting business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

One person in 5 months, nothing to lose there.

Advertisement