Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your first job

• 06-06-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

What was your first role in employment and how does it differ to your current position?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Building sites :) was getting paid more at 16 than I'am now lolz :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Worked in Garden Centre from 11 years old when on school holidays for few years.

was on £1.50(punt) an hour. You would not scratch your hole for that money now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I was a gardener when i was 14. Helped out our neighbour during the summer with his business. Made good money.

At the moment I don't work, but I can't see myself going back to gardening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I worked at one of those indoor play places that do parties for kids.
    I lost a toddler and was asked not to come back :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

As a teen, restaurant dish-and-pot-washer.

Less dirt, less dickhead chefs, more public, more responsibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Worked in a tiny local corner shop for £2 an hour, used to be delighted with the money! Most boring job ever though because it was so quiet. I'm a teacher now, work day flies by always doing something different, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Ringing neighbours doors asking if they wanted a "deluxe car wash" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Working in a small, skangerish, retail shop as Christmas staff. We hadn't a clue what we were doing, drank cans on the sly on the floor during the bigger days over the Christmas, and I was asked to shift one of the female staff members in the dressing rooms once. Oh, and I also got into a fight in the stock room with another bloke who started trying to push me around there. Classy place. You've got to start somewhere, I suppose.

I also used to cut grass and sell mix CDs to a lot of the shops in the local shopping centre. I was loaded for a 16-year old, though I blew it all on Druids Cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Sticking labels on juice bottles in an orange juice factory at 13. i **** you not. penny a label. making 8 punts an hour at 13, not too shabby!!

phd student now.

and OP what was yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Does getting money from a priest to keep my mouth shut (or open) count as a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Perol station when I was 16 getting £1.50 an hour. Hated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

About 15 worked on a chicken farm, stuck in sauna hot, eye watering smelly sheds. 3000 chickens in each shed and was told for the size of the sheds these chickens were being kept in good conditions. All for the kings ransom of 6 punt a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Loungeboy in a golf club for 2.50 (punts) an hour when I was fourteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Collecting clinical waste in a mental hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Sticking labels on juice bottles in an orange juice factory at 13. i **** you not. penny a label. making 8 punts an hour at 13, not too shabby!!

phd student now.

and OP what was yours?
    Honestly I was a human scarecrow getting up at 4am to stop crows and other birds eating seeds for experimental crops :eek:

It was decent money and mostly I slept for two hours of my shift until it got bright.

I dont do that anymore though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

First officall job was working in a hospital kitchen. 16-17 years later, numerious jobs along the way, I'm working in a hospital again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

shop assistant in a pharmacy, still doing the same job, hoping to start a Pharmacy technican course in September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Chewing food for gummy old biddies in a nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

My first one was a bob-a-job I did for Mrs. Moriarty when I was in the scouts. She made me clear all the nettles and briars from her back garden, the old bag. Obviously there weren't any formal channels I could've gone through to complain...a scout labour movement being virtually non-existent at the time.

My first real job was in the toy section of Clery's. I'm never having children. They're evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

worked on a local building site when i was 14, they had me counting every piece of equipment they owned down to the last screw tedious to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Does getting money from a priest to keep my mouth shut (or open) count as a job?

Yes, that's definitely a type of 'job';)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Turning turf in bogs around home at 10 pounds a spread and it was bloody back breaking work. That's when I was around 12.

First proper job when I was 16 was folding clothes in Penneys. That was nearly worse than the bog. The place would be like a bomb hit it. Skangers have no consideration. You'd have a table just folded and move on and 20 seconds later some twat would **** the whole thing up. Had good craic there all the same.

Now I'm a scumbag fatcat civil servant and I drive a high powered gravy train to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Pushing trollies in superquinn car park, dark dark memories of what was a very **** period.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

guitarzero wrote: »
    Pushing trollies in superquinn car park, dark dark memories of what was a very **** period.

Elaborate please ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Worked in Mosney for the last summer it was a holiday camp, changing bedsheets in the houses.
    I was 13 and earned £22 a week and it was the best summer ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Fishing since I was strong enough to haul a handline aboard. These days working in the deli in dunnes, but finished in a few weeks. Whoop Whoop Whoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

First job was really only a summer job but it was pretty cool. I was working in Radio Kilkenny doing anything and everything (except presenting of course). Some of it was boring - this was in the days before mp3s but all the music was still recorded onto a computer for easy playlist management and access. Thing is, I had to go through each recording, of which there were thousands, to edit out any silence at the start and end of the recordings. Mind numbing stuff but there was cool things too like I got to pick out which songs were used on a Neil Young feature and I learned some technical stuff from the station engineer.

Sure beats bar work. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Painting the outside walls of local factory.

Mainly by my lonesome so extra boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

working in a factory at 12, a pound (punt) an hour.
    in summer I made 40 quid a week, i was fecking loaded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

summer work in my dad's office. tidying up paper work, updating record, playing a lot of minesweeper. not so much different now apart from the internet replacing minesweeper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

What was your first role in employment and how does it differ to your current position?

Bens Boutique.

I thought we all started in Dunnes Stores??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hotel kitchen porter

2.50 punts an hour

I'm not particularly tall but my back woud be near crippled after a 10 hour shift scrubbing pots in the sink
    Then wash the floors, bins and other cleaning. Take skips of plates and stuff up and down the corridors

Bullying chefs, even management were afraid of the chefs

I was thin to start with and I weighed near nothing at the end of the summer, about 9 stone for a lad :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

When i was 16 i worked for a road crew, laying tarmac and concrete, sometimes cobbles. Early start though, had to be up at 6, but i was usually home by 2.

Got paid around £300 a week as far as i can recall. I was minted!! Got my first mobile phone with my first paycheck, good ole Nokia 3210 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

As a 16 year old, summer job working in a shop. Many years later, I've come full circle, but I own my own shop. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

11 or 12. Worked on a farm with race horses, mucking out, riding out. £1 an hour. Got more on race days. Sometimes landing £50 prize for best turned out horse. Good times.

My work now is completely unrelated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I took a part time job in Burger King when I was 14 and still in School..

They put me on the tills on my first day with little or no training and it was one of the worst experiences of my life..

It tainted my view of the general public. People can be right cnuts when they're hungry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

11 or 12. Worked on a farm with race horses, mucking out, riding out. £1 an hour. Got more on race days. Sometimes landing £50 prize for best turned out horse. Good times.

My work now is completely unrelated.

Yeah I did something similar to this as well when I was about 10.. was voluntary work.. mucking out horse sh1te and leading ride outs etc..

Got free horse riding lessons on a Saturday evening as payment.. I developed a fear of horses when I was a teenager though :o strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I worked for my mothers boss, recycling Polystyrine packaging for washing machines and such. Made about 20 Pound for a days work. Not too shabby back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

worked in a bar collecting glasses at 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Work on a farm for most of my Summer holidays back then I got paid now the work I do goes to paying for me to live at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

footing turf in the bog one summer, £15 a day, 6 days week, back breaking work. I'll never forget arriving in the morning, looking up the bank of turf and knowing I'd have to handle every sod while hunched over for the next 9 hours, soul destroying....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

First proper job at 14 as a fuel injection engineer
    Now have a job which nearly afraid to mention after a few people's comments here lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Now have a job which nearly afraid to mention after a few people's comments here lol

Are you a tax collector? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

My first "actual" job was working in a bar/filling station. Duties included, tending the petrol/diesel pumps, collecting glasses, cleaning toilets, cleaning floors,tables, serving customers, stocktaking and store management, and a tonne of other bits and pieces. Did this in the same bar from 15-18 in summers, weekends and holidays.
    Pay was about £60 a week (summer weeks consisted of 80-90 hours, 7 days, for up to 12 weeks straight) Pay was a bit better for the shorter weekends throughout the year.

I really really enjoyed the work, being honest and at the time the money wasn't that important. Learned a hell of a lot about the world and about work in general, made a lot of good friends and had one hell of a social life!
    The aul bar experience was handy to have and worked in a few places since then up until I finished college.

No my work is completely unrelated (IT Support/admin) but some of the lessons learned in interactions with people in the bar have really helped me in my career.
    Salary wise I am happy to say I am earning a lot more than 60 quid a week and working a lot less hours.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I worked in a leisureplex. Since nobody else would do it I had to dress in the "Plexy" costume (Dinosaur costume reeking of BO) and do a little dance at the table for the kiddies a couple of times a shift.
    My lowest point was being bet up by a group of 17 teeny boys who were angry that anyone would think they'd fall for Plexy (who wasn't allowed speak) being real. They were literally hanging off me, got me to the floor and only quit when they hit the head so hard my pony-tail was revealed. "It's a girl!" :o Got paid 3.50 per hour, well under the minimum wage.

Now I'm a teacher. Secondary level. Thankfully haven't been physically attacked yet!!

mikemac1 wrote: »

Are you a tax collector? :mad:

Lol
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I started working in SuperValu as a butcher for minimum wage, it gave me money at the end of the week and put me through college. Wasn't a bad job by any standards but the customers could really make you feel like carp sometimes

Now at the age of 22, I work as a software engineer for a travel firm (Guess i'm one of the lucky ones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I started working in SuperValu as a butcher for minimum wage, it gave me money at the end of the week and put me through college. Wasn't a bad job by any standards but the customers could really make you feel like carp sometimes

Were you also working at the fish counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

l

so you worked in a petrol station putting petrol in people's cars :rolleyes:

l

so you worked in a petrol station putting petrol in people's cars :rolleyes:

Yep lol lol
    Oh why the eye roll now

• Advertisement
Advertisement