Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I keep TCD on my CAO?

Options
  • 07-06-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Im hoping to do psychology next year and I have TCD as my second choice (behind UCD).
    But the points are kinda ridiculous.
    Like, I really don't think I'll get them, and I dont really know enough about the place to know if I'll like it or not.
    I know it's the best place to do it in the country, but would I be better off taking it off and adding another course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I think one of the most important CAO Rules is to never make your list based on what points you think you might/mightn't get. Make you list based on what you want to do, regardless of the points and just try your best in the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Keep it on. Unless the points are completely out of your reach (Say 580 points and you only got 280 points in the mock) it's best to keep it ordered by preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I got 475 in my mocks. Not sure of the exact points for TCD but I know it's pretty high.
    I know it should be in order of choice but I still don't know if I would actually enjoy it there.
    I think I'll keep it on, for now anyways.
    Can't really think of another course anyways.

I got 475 in my mocks last year and went up to 550. Psychology in Trinity was 550 last year.

The college experience will be different for everyone, but I just finished first year in TCD and I couldn't ask for a better university. If you want to ask anything then fire away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

If you like the course and still want it, leave it on in your order of preference, and ignore the points.

If you're unsure about the course, do some research before the closing date, and take it off if you don't want to be offered it.

There's plenty of space on the form to add loads of courses but make sure they're in order of your preference! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Ignore the points. Put them in the order you want to do them.

TCD isnt really all the great anyway(IMO), theres a very big sense of perceived superiority, arrogance and condescension from the place. People say its the best college, but I'm not too sure. I had TCD first on my list simply because it was TCD. I spent some time around the place with a friend who was in the college (basically followed her around for a few weeks) and I loathed the place. Turning down the offer was the best thing I ever did.

theres a very big sense of perceived superiority, arrogance and condescension from the place
    This tends to be a line trotted out by people who don't actually go to the college.
    In my year here I've only met incredibly down to earth people who are some of the nicest I've met and that has been from a range of courses and societies.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    This tends to be a line trotted out by people who don't actually go to the college.
    In my year here I've only met incredibly down to earth people who are some of the nicest I've met and that has been from a range of courses and societies.
    As I said, thats just my opinion.

I was just pointing out the TCD isn't the be all and end all, and many people (myself included) don't like the place.

OP if you want to find out what a college is like, although its too late now, the best thing to do is to stay with someone who is in the college and shadow them for a few weeks, you get a great sense of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

theres a very big sense of perceived superiority, arrogance and condescension from the place.
    You'll get people like that there, sure, and they're normally the loudest and the most noticeable (you'll get them in UCD too btw!).

Lots of down-to-earth Joes and Josephines too though. :)

Ignore the points. Put them in the order you want to do them.

TCD isnt really all the great anyway(IMO), theres a very big sense of perceived superiority, arrogance and condescension from the place. People say its the best college, but I'm not too sure. I had TCD first on my list simply because it was TCD. I spent some time around the place with a friend who was in the college (basically followed her around for a few weeks) and I loathed the place. Turning down the offer was the best thing I ever did.
    No there isn't. Aside from a few lecturers jokingly remarking on how "You're in the best university on the Island" there's hardly anything resembling arrogance from staff or students.

The notion that TCD is full of arrogant, condescending academic elitists is usually conjured up by people who've never even been students there with an inferiority complex spurred by their own misconceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think we may have covered this point!! :pac: :pac:

You'll get people like that there, sure, and they're normally the loudest and the most noticeable (you'll get them in UCD too btw!).

Lots of down-to-earth Joes and Josephines too though. :)
    Perhaps I was just unlucky!

Lots of people have this sense that they must get into trinity cause its the "best" or whatever, even after I spent a few weeks there and decided I hated the place I still didn't take it off my CAO, because my parents felt that TCD was the be all and end all... lol there was lots of aggro when I turned down the CAO offer! :D

Ended up in DCU in the end, very down to earth which is the way I like things.

No there isn't. Aside from a few lecturers jokingly remarking on how "You're in the best university on the Island" there's hardly anything resembling arrogance from staff or students.

The notion that TCD is full of arrogant, condescending academic elitists is usually conjured up by people who've never even been students there with an inferiority complex spurred by their own misconceptions.
    All I gave was my opinion... I can disagree with you and not have an "inferiority complex" ya know.

I just didn't like the place for the reasons I said, thats just me, you're entitled to feel different ofc.

All I gave was my opinion... I can disagree with you and not have an "inferiority complex" ya know.

I just didn't like the place for the reasons I said, thats just me, you're entitled to feel different ofc.
    I wasn't saying you in particular have an inferiority complex. A certain few seem to do and their views seem to have become popular.

If you visit TCD to get an idea of what it's like with the preconception that it's elitist you'll be looking for signs to confirm that preconception.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

The whole 'arrogance and condescending' thing doesn't bother me.
    Education is education, that's what it's about in the end.
    Besides I dont think anyone can truly know what it's like untill they go there. I think I'm gonna keep it on the list, just not sure of preference yet. :)

Advertisement