Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May I ask a few questions

Options
  • 07-06-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

I dont stammer , but have a huge interest in psychology and how thoughts occur, and would love to talk to people who stammer to get an insight into the disorder.

Is stammering a panic disorder?

Is it purely psychological ?

Do you stammer when you are drunk? (Ive met people that dont, thats why I ask)

Do certain situations leave you more likely to stammer than other ones? (high pressure ones vs low pressue ones)

If you were completely on your own , with nobody around and you spoke, do you stammer?

Thanks , sorry I know Im being bit nosy and intrusive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

Stammering is so diverse that it's far too hard to generalise or to make assumptions about stammerers in general.

What you may hear from one stammerer will be completely different for the next and so on.

To answer some of your questions, I know a lot of stammerers and I would say 50/50 say their speech is affected when drunk. Half of people say they feel more fluent/less inhibited and the other half say their speech gets worse. I think it really depends on the person.

I stammer when I am alone sometimes. However I know other people who don't. I read once somewhere that we don't stammer when talking to pets, but I don't know if I believe that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Read up on the relationship between stammering (by which I mean the hereditary kind) and dopamine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I have heard it described as a communication disorder more than anything else, which is why stammering generally doesn't occur with pets/babies/ when you're alone etc. Alcohol can help only briefly I reckon as tiredness then sets in and makes it worse.

Advertisement