Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food

• 06-06-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello, I have a black Labrador. He is just 2 years old. We are having to feed him Royal Canin skin support. It's costing €75 a month and money is tight enough. Can anyone recommend an alternative. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I would hardly recommend "cold pressed" dog food

Have a look at www.zooplus.ie for LUKULLUS

it looks like rabbit / horse food , its HIGHLY digestible. I have tried many brands including James Wellbeloved and they always had soft stolls. The very day I switched their poos were perfect, easy to pick up, very little waste, no more farting, no more upset stomach ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

falabo wrote: »
    I would hardly recommend "cold pressed" dog food

Have a look at www.zooplus.ie for LUKULLUS

it looks like rabbit / horse food , its HIGHLY digestible. I have tried many brands including James Wellbeloved and they always had soft stolls. The very day I switched their poos were perfect, easy to pick up, very little waste, no more farting, no more upset stomach ever.

I second that. Tried burns etc but lukullus def more suitable for my dog who has really sensitive stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We use Robbies and have found it to be brilliant. Our retriever cross used to have raw eyes, a nose that was in bits and was just very itchy. Plus she was a very fussy eater.
    Now on Robbies for over a year and her eyes, nose and skin are perfect. her poos are healthy and she eats every day. A big bag of Robbies costs €55 - €60 and lasts 6 weeks in our house, feeding the medium sized retriever cross and a jack russell cross.
    http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP do you know what the dog is allergic to that's causing the skin problems? You may end up wasting time and money trying different foods until you know what was causing the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Op we use Gain Big Dog Adult on our Labradors. Petmania are doing an offer on it at the moment, you buy the big bag and they give you a trial size 5kg bag aswell. Use the small bag first and if it does not agree with your dog they will refund you your money back once you bring the 15kg bag back unopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 FionaG321

Hello, I have a black Labrador. He is just 2 years old. We are having to feed him Royal Canin skin support. It's costing €75 a month and money is tight enough. Can anyone recommend an alternative. Thanks
    We feed our golden retriever Burns. It costs us around €50 - €54 euro for a 15kg bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

This food is the same as Lukullus but cheaper. It's German. This shows there are so excellent foods out there at very affordable prices.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/markus_muehle/128238

If the dog is any way allergic then AVOID foods containing grains/cereals - so no rice, wheat, corn/maize etc My retriever is on a raw diet of chicken and veg for the last few months and is thriving in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

tk123 wrote: »
    If the dog is any way allergic then AVOID foods containing grains/cereals - so no rice, wheat, corn/maize etc My retriever is on a raw diet of chicken and veg for the last few months and is thriving in every way.

Hi tk123,
    What exactly are you putting in that raw diet? Are there loads of supplements to be added etc? Can you make a weeks batch at a time?

I am at my wits end with my two! One is the pickiest eater God ever put on earth!! The other would eat yourself but has a really smelly gas problem!
    They are both on Burns - one (Miss Picky) has a variety of wet food mixers to try - unsuccessfully - to keep her interested and eating. The other (Mr Hoover) is on plain Burns kibble only.
    I would like to try a raw diet if I felt it was best for them as I would do anything in the world to keep them healthy and happy. But I really need some guidance.

Shazanne wrote: »
    Hi tk123,
    What exactly are you putting in that raw diet? Are there loads of supplements to be added etc? Can you make a weeks batch at a time?

No it's actually really easy - I thought it was complicated so was afraid to take the plunge but haven't looked back since we did.

He has a chicken leg and veg (potato, carrots, apples, green beans) most days and once or twice a week something different for a change/treat so a can of sardines, some ribs, a portion of raw meat from whatever we're having so eg last week I made burgers and set aside a portion of the mince for him. Once a month I buy the chicken (6 packs @ €2.99 = 30 legs) and make up a months supply and also do up extra portions of the veg mix for days when he won't be having chicken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement