Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any 2012 graduates find work yet?

• 07-06-2012 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

hey guys, just wondering if any 2012 college graduates are finding work? how are the opportunities for people wanting to stay?

engineering grad myself and its not looking too bleak yet&I'm keeping positive. but no job yet.

who is doing better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Good chance of a second round interview next week. Plenty jobs on sites but looking for experience, I'll still chance my arm though. Definitely doesn't look all doom and gloom yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Graduated doing Advertising and Marketing Communications this year, not a single job yet and trust me I've been trying:mad:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finished up my final exams 2 weeks ago, been offered a post graduate position that I'll most likely accept.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Engineering >Canada

Marketing & Advertising >London

Next....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Engineering >Canada

Marketing & Advertising >London

Next....

not that you're necessarily wrong, but it would be nice to hear of someone getting a decent job without emigrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Graduated in 2010 and there was no job, left Ireland early 2011 to work abroad. Came home 2012 and very little opportunity, don't want to leave again but starting to feel like I'm being pushed out at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

mawk wrote: »
    not that you're necessarily wrong, but it would be nice to hear of someone getting a decent job without emigrating

Would you like fries with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

2010 engineering graduate myself, have only got my first paid engineering related job today...in Australia. Happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Not a graduate this year but people who did graduate from my course this year are doing fine, most had jobs, in Ireland, well before finishing their exams.
    I study Computer Science btw.
    My girlfriend studies music education and from her class of 10 I think 4 have jobs in Ireland, two are emigrating by choice, one because she can't find a job her and the rest are still looking or are going into further education.

From what I can tell if you have a decent degree you'll find some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Just finished this year,

Honours degree in Quantity Surveying,

Started a full time job 3 days after the last exam, with a civil company.. in Ireland :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Just finished this year,

Honours degree in Quantity Surveying,

Started a full time job 3 days after the last exam, with a civil company.. in Ireland :eek:
    What the money like?How do you like the job?

Apparently it took me a month, but I found work without having to move somewhere that has wildlife that can eat me!
    :-)

Don't lose hope. Jobs appear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Architecture graduate, 2012. Started work nearly two weeks ago. Yeaow!

EDIT: (In Dublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was so close to doing Engineering a couple of years back and chose a Business/IT course instead. Have regretted it at times along the way but with the year ahead of me just graduated and something like 80-90% already having jobs I'm glad I did in the end.

Now here's hoping I actually like it when I graduate and (hopefully) start working properly next year.

Although, sometimes I think I never want to finish college :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

None of your bees wax. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Got a job sorted a couple of weeks before I started the final exams. It's in a local start up company, in an area I'm very interested in (RF Design Engineering). Should be starting there sometime next month. Studied Electrical & Electronic Engineering and there seems to be no shortage of jobs in the sector luckily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Just finished engineering myself. To the best of my knowledge, only know of one of my classmates has been offered a position, and that was in Belgium. Something like 10/50 of last year's class ended up in full-time employment with the majority ending back up in college. But, hey, hope springs eternal and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

just got me a shiny first class bachelors degree in animation, Well i finished up believing i was walking straight into a top job, But then three weeks or so before i was told i was starting they told me the position was not longer available, And i had turned down three other job offer's leading up to this. Fairly ****ty way it went down but these thing's happen.

Im sure il get some work some where. Helped out on a short today hope it might lead to some thing down the line. Or im really going to have to consider leaving Ireland.

A good few people in my class got work, even before we finished college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Plenty of work in IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I've graduated this year and no job yet. I've had 3 final stage interviews and 2 telephone interviews off close to 50 applications. I'm getting interviews which I'm encouraged with but it's definitely tough out there. I don't know too many of my peers who have been sorted for a graduate job.

I have a telephone interview later on this week but I'm not taking the job hunting too seriously at the moment as I'm going travelling around America for six weeks in 9 days time. I'll be back on it in September.

woodoo wrote: »
    Plenty of work in IT

sssh! everyone will train up and take all the good jobs!

mawk wrote: »
    sssh! everyone will train up and take all the good jobs!

Microsoft here I come. :cool::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Roxy.Randrome

Engineering Graduate. Start work in a fairly sizeable multinational company on Monday. Took a month and a half to find a job but not complaining too much, the little bit of a break was nice :) Out of my class of 26, I'd say about 20 of us have jobs now... only 2 or 3 had jobs before we graduated though.

I think that job availability really does depend on the type of engineering you're qualified in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

Graduated doing Advertising and Marketing Communications this year, not a single job yet and trust me I've been trying:mad:

please no more spam, tv adverts, or junk mail ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Lone Stone wrote: »
    just got me a shiny first class bachelors degree in animation

Excellent preparation for drawing the dole. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Software Engineering grad.
    Had no bother getting a job.
    Most of my class is working now, including 3 or 4 that got offered jobs before the exams! There's still a few others in the class that arent working, but I expect them to get jobs soon enough.
    PS, nobody emigrated.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Software Engineering grad.
    Had no bother getting a job.
    Most of my class is working now, including 3 or 4 that got offered jobs before the exams! There's still a few others in the class that arent working, but I expect them to get jobs soon enough.
    PS, nobody emigrated.

Software engineering, what type of work/job would that consist off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

its basically writing code. I'm too new to be doing any "engineering" or design of the software, so at the moment, im just writing code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

woodoo wrote: »
    Plenty of work in IT

Really? I graduated in IT back on '07 and haven't had anything yet.

Happy to fix PCs btw ;)

Advertisement