Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some opinions/help on my Star Trek weekend nerd project

Options
  • 07-06-2012 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭

I know we have a few Sci-Fi heads here as well as retro peeps so I'd like some opinions.

I'm doing a little video project to keep me busy over the weekend and it involves a bit of Star Trek video editing. Basically, I have 6 images below that are stills from a 3D section I'm going to use as a link to connect 2 separate vids together. It'll be at most 5-8 seconds in length with some text overlay on it ("15 years later" or something like that. Star Trek fans will probably know what I'm at here :) ).

So, which of the below images look more in keeping with the Star Trek space theme(or at least the most compatible)? None of them are perfect and I can play around with the colour intensities and that type of thing to get them right. Or should I stick with a plain starfield like the last image?
    I could spend hours/days playing around with the starfield style and never get it right but I've decided to stick with this one and just play around with the colours to get it in theme as it's only a personal project and nothing really worth sharing with others.

Click each image for the full size version(1920x1080):
    bluespace00000.jpgcyanspace00000.jpg
    greenspace00000.jpgrampspace00000.jpg
    redspace00000.jpgblackspace00000.jpg

Space scene from the movie I'm editing (click for full size):
    559424khanattack.jpg

Some vids to give you an idea as to what I'm on about(best viewed on youtube in 1080p fullscreen).

Blue Space test vid:

Black Space test vid:

Mixed Palette Space Test:

So, any thoughts apart from "NERD!!!"??

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The black one looks most like the original TV series if you are going for that retro look , the Blue one more like the next gen movies, especially generations. the others just dont do it for me, they look a bit like the motion picture though. id prefer the black one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

keithgeo wrote: »
    The black one looks most like the original TV series if you are going for that retro look , the Blue one more like the next gen movies, especially generations. the others just dont do it for me, they look a bit like the motion picture though. id prefer the black one myself.

Yeah, the black one is more neutral and looks most like the orig tv show. I'm linking a original episode (Space Seed) with a movie (The Wrath of Khan) to make it into a complete story, if you get me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

ah cool, id go with the black then maybe? if its original series and wrath of kahn. sounds cool. I think there was something in the "enterprise" tv series about these guys too, with brent spiner playing the guy who created them. it was a 3 parter i think.

keithgeo wrote: »
    ah cool, id go with the black then maybe? if its original series and wrath of kahn. sounds cool. I think there was something in the "enterprise" tv series about these guys too, with brent spiner playing the guy who created them. it was a 3 parter i think.

Yeah, I think I remember those episodes. Don't think I'll use them in this though :D

Here's a test clip in blue with audio and some basic text overlay, looks a little garish so I think I might take that one off the table. I'll be adding a bit of film grain to the footage as well to blend it in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hi Steve SI,

Not really suited to A&R I'm afraid. I can move this thread to the Audio- Video Editing Forum if you want or close the thread.

Thanks,
    LoGiE

• Advertisement

LoGiE wrote: »
    Hi Steve SI,

Not really suited to A&R I'm afraid. I can move this thread to the Audio- Video Editing Forum if you want or close the thread.

Thanks,
    LoGiE

Ok, no bother. You can just close it off.
    Was just looking for some opinions on it from people I know etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement