Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two quick questions from a wannabe commuter:

Options
  • 07-06-2012 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Right, my first decent paycheque in a couple of years just cleared and I'm going to buy a bike to cycle to work (10km each way)

I'm pretty sure I know what one I'm going to buy and I'll be getting it online, so my first question is about fit:
    I'm 5'8" and I nipped in to Halfords the other day and tried a 54cm Carrera and then a 51cm just for comparison. What surprised me was that it was the 51cm that felt more comfortable, certainly in terms of reach. Now I've read here that you can expect to get more 'flexible' as you get used to cycling but I'm not sure what that actually means! So my first question is: Will increased flexibility help me adjust to a longer reach, or make me more comfortable in a tucked position on a shorter bike?

Second question: there is a small shower available in the office, but no lockers. I generally wear a blazer and jeans, shirt and tie, and smartish shoes and I just wanted to know how others manage their wardrobe / laundry / toiletries / towels / luggage / packed lunch / partridge in a pear tree for a 5 day work week?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

You could go for the bigger frame but get a shorter stem, that way you have the larger frame with the more comfortable reach that you can then extend as you lose the belly and gain flexibility.

A rack and panniers is the answer. There are waterproof ones available. They allow you to carry more than a backpack and don't leave you with a sweaty back.

Don't forget mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not sure about the flexibility - Im pretty inflexible due to back problems and I've yet to see any improvement due to cycling. I'd buy the bike that feels more comfortable and not worry too much about the size marked on the frame as each manufacturer has their own ideas on size.
    As for clothes, I'm lucky in that I have a work uniform that is laundered by work and kept in lockers, so all I have to remember to bring in is underwear (only made that mistake once).
    Some people might drive once a week to bring in/take home laundry or you could carry it each day in a rucksack or panniers.
    I only commute 10Km a day and have a small rucksack for my stuff as my bike wont take panniers, but this doesn't bother me. Other people would find this annoying. Trial and error is the best way to see what suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

More flexibility usually means you can ride a smaller bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

merc230ce wrote: »
    Second question: there is a small shower available in the office, but no lockers. I generally wear a blazer and jeans, shirt and tie, and smartish shoes and I just wanted to know how others manage their wardrobe / laundry / toiletries / towels / luggage / packed lunch / partridge in a pear tree for a 5 day work week?

Thanks in advance!

You could probably leave a pair of shoes, toiletries, towel and a couple of pairs of jeans in the office. Then most days you only have to bring shirt, underwear and a lunch. You can bring a pair of jeans/towel home whenever they need washing. Personally I prefer a good backpack. I have a Berghaus 20 litre one for hiking but does the job. Just make sure to get one that has a frame so keeps it away from your back. If you need to carry more than the bare essentials regularly then as rich.d.berry says a rack and pannier(s) are better options..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have been commuting for years with a small bag on my back and sweat has never bothered me. I wear proper cycling kit and change when I get to work. The bag is slightly raised from the back to allow air to flow. Perhaps this really does work. It's a bag like this.
    http://www.deuter.com/en_DE/backpack-details.php?category=76&artnr=32029&title=Race%20EXP%20Air

The one I have is an older version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

If you have access to a car (like a Merc 230 maybe), take the car one day every two weeks and stock up your desk or office with a pile of shirts/jocks/socks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

merc230ce wrote: »

Second question: there is a small shower available in the office, but no lockers. I generally wear a blazer and jeans, shirt and tie, and smartish shoes

Firstly, I would be very hesitant about wearing a shirt and tie with jeans. Slim fitting black jeans that aren't very obviously jeansie might be workable but even then it's really only damage limitation. Get some slacks or ditch the tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

If you have access to a car (like a Merc 230 maybe), take the car one day every two weeks and stock up your desk or office with a pile of shirts/jocks/socks etc.

As its the CE model (=coupe), I'm not sure if it would fit all the required stuff for a weekly trip.

Maybe trade it in for one of these for the weekly topup:

babboe-big-.jpg&w=600&h=600&q=80

You'd even have room for the other bike in the front if needed.

(Sorry ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

I'll just get my coat and head over to the Classic Cars And Dodgy Clothing Choices forum so

*slams door*
    *muffled sobs*

Advertisement