Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Coffee Shops/Local Employment!

Options
  • 07-06-2012 9:10am

Hey guys!

I used to do alot of hiking around Bray & Greystones including a hike from Bray head to Greystones and would always stop into coffee shops in the town to warm up (during winter) with hot chocolates/coffee & sometimes food. We would usually have a big group. I`m in Australia now but the hiking group lives on :)

I`ve noticed that Summervilles is now using people from the national internship scheme meaning that if they do not need to pay staff then they would be able to undercut the other coffee shops. The other shops could then be in a situation where they must take on interns or go under. This scheme is going to create unemployment and in your local area.

DSC_10972-800x662.jpg

I`d to hear other peoples thoughts on this, maybe even some coffee shop/places for food recommendations in the area that actually employ people that I can pass on. I`ve told some of the group about Summervilles and the use of the scheme & and I`d like the option of coming home to a place not ravaged by unemployment - cant beat the hiking in Ireland)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

So you actually WANT people NOT to use a local business which provides employment for local people on the basis that they are participating in the National Internship programme?

This beggars belief. Read up on the programme... You cannot take on an intern at the cost of a normal job. In fact, Sommerville's have been advertising for full/part time staff regularly, so I would be confident that the intern, if they have one, is not at the expense of them keeping up their full compliment of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,853 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So you actually WANT people NOT to use a local business which provides employment for local people on the basis that they are participating in the National Internship programme?

This beggars belief. Read up on the programme... You cannot take on an intern at the cost of a normal job. In fact, Sommerville's have been advertising for full/part time staff regularly, so I would be confident that the intern, if they have one, is not at the expense of them keeping up their full compliment of staff.

The rules of the internship scheme say you can't, but anyone who has paid any attention to the process would know that the rules are not being enforced. there are loads of examples of people being taken on as, basically, a non paid member of staff. The scheme is being abused.

The rules of the internship scheme say you can't, but anyone who has paid any attention to the process would know that the rules are not being enforced. there are loads of examples of people being taken on as, basically, a non paid member of staff. The scheme is being abused.
    Is there any evidence that Sommerville's is abusing the scheme?

Do you genuinely think a barista needs 9 months training? Come off of it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,853 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm not saying there is.

I responded to you saying the intern scheme couldn't be used in such an abusive way - saying that there are plenty of reports indicating that is exactly what is happening in too many cases (but not all, obviously).

I did not mention Sommerville or any other employer as I don't have the evidence to pin such an assertion on anyone. I am simply pointing out the inter scheme, like most processes in Ireland, is not perfect and is being abused by some, and not being managed correctly by the powers that be. That is all true as far as I am concerned, having been reading and listening to reports since it started.

My personal opinion is that waiting staff is not a suitable internship position, and isn't what the scheme is supposed to be about.

• Advertisement

I think its fair to highlight this as there are a few live threads here about places for food.
    Let people know whats going on they can make their own minds up.

Some will agree with mike dragon some will agree with me but its good to have the info.

Do you genuinely think a barista needs 9 months training? Come off of it
    Perhaps the intern is learning the business side, not just the how-to-operate-a-coffee-machine bit.

We may just have to agree to disagree here, but I think some posters here have made indirect implications that a local business is abusing the scheme, which are unfounded and unfair. That will be my final word on the matter.

Perhaps the intern is learning the business side, not just the how-to-operate-a-coffee-machine bit.

We may just have to agree to disagree here, but I think some posters here have made indirect implications that a local business is abusing the scheme, which are unfounded and unfair. That will be my final word on the matter.

Well decide for yourself here is the internship:
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DIf3OYT/Xql5l3q2LlqwgGZ8txbG/BtcPcmeHZALFc43ZQFwh23JSDsAQGRelcAZCTBdsUl//MHSWgAO8rURBxgxxZOHeUn5lvx9Gy+Mh2hznPvez7SUYpvRjfPLmrk67H16BLC1BLbDxCsNQnqyPeQXjNSZlMuskpnqKkZI3EOqaAvx+17N7W/131YdUgJXmihb6qObeSfEkTnwR7S8UYig75ytPJ+FGZWJhSvy8rVjLMLXm14552cciaBRCRAEZn/hylh0HDTY9TITJJaMrc+s3TkFzkMivsgvah+7iqg7tXV5HEWs6li+vlCWkWNA9n5ZDGJU4IyCwD85MsG2Hws513Hjdd6w8daRh0qFRExmbwoVFn8FK97OBZsbcxJwDWiI0Py4oqL3H5A8MegRxAzMH1Xz39rJ/w==
    The intern will gain practical experience in customer service, till operation, food preperation and service, barista skills. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following customer service, health and safety at work, food preperation and service, barista work. On completion the intern will have attained skills in food service industry and customer service, barista skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

These unfounded reports couldn't be good for any business.

Case closed....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement