Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Doctor (East County Galway)

Options
  • 07-06-2012 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I live in the Athenry area and I've a massive garden (lawn) and it needs some TLC. Nothing major, we mow and keep things in order but needs to be spot weeded, scarified and aerated. I think it's a two visit job. The machines to do that cost a fortune to rent. I've been googling local gardening companies but they don't advertise it as a service, also, many of them are the far side of the county.

I know I'm being a bit Lazy and putting it up on boards :o. If anyone knows if the service exists and about how much would I be expected to shell out I'd appreciate a few replies, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

I would suggest an approach to a local golf club or pitch & putt. They should have the machinery or be able to put you intouch with a contractor who has.

I don't know of any landscapers who would have the equipment and for the seasonality of the work it's possibly easier to hire. Scarifying and aerating is time consuming work, generally scarification in spring as grass begins to grow and aeration later in the season to break compaction and introduce a sand / soil topdressing to ease drainage problems and encourage root depth & vigour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

A pitch & Putt or Golf Club?? Not a bad idea. I'll try that. I know I'm a bit late in the season, I thought I might get away with it into the summer but I guess I might have to leave that as a job for next year:( .

I had a look at a scarifier and its from E53 per day, an aerater is E109:o (from HSS). I figured gardening and landscaping company would cost me a little less than hire combined (about E130 for a mornings work) and they'd have a bit more expertise cop on than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Dont underestimate the amount of work involved. The machines are a handy way to make short work of the operation, the cleaning up, collecting the thatch grass / moss, collecting cores and disposing of them will take manpower if your garden is particularily large.

Make sure its a hollow tine aerator that removes a plug or you're wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 scubadec

How did you get sorted in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please start a fresh thread instead, with your own specifics and location.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement