Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Custom Post Type

Options
  • 07-06-2012 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Some help/advice needed please.

I have just setup a new wordpress based website, http://www.motorsport.ie (Mods, hope you don't mind me inserting the link, happy to remove if it voids any board policies) and I want to create some custom post types in the backend for some new sections we will be introducing over the next few months.

I have downloaded a custom post type plugin that allows me to create custom post types, or custom taxamonies. However, where I am getting stuck is creating Custom fields within the custom post type that only display in this custom post type.

Basically I want to be able to have single line text boxes, that allow me to type in variable data such as id numbers that I can then setup to be in the middle of code in the backend allowing me to display things like facebook galleries within the site for example.

Any help with the above would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey Paul, we need some more specifics to be able to help you out here. Can you tell us what the plugin you're using to create the custom post types, and can you tell us specifically what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Trojan wrote: »
    Hey Paul, we need some more specifics to be able to help you out here. Can you tell us what the plugin you're using to create the custom post types, and can you tell us specifically what the problem is?

Hi Trojan,

The Custom Post Type plugin is called Custom Post Type UI (http://webdevstudios.com/plugin/custom-post-type-ui/)

The issue I am having is I don't know how to setup the custom post type 'Add' interface with custom fields?? All thats available is the standard Title, Main Body etc fields.

I'm using the Advanced Custom Fields plugin (http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/) to setup my custom fields. I would like to have an 'Add' interface that just contains my custom fields, but these custom fields are not display in the 'Add Post' UI if you follow me.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The custom fields shouldn't be in the "Add Post" screen, they should be in the "Add YourCustomPostName" screen (maybe that's what you meant). The "Add Post" screen has the regular Post stuff that you're seeing.

Did the plugin create an "Add New" under the CPT name like in this screenshot?

screenshot-3.png?r=554283

I think I looked at using this plugin back in the day - in the end I decided to code the Custom Posts stuff from scratch, so I'd understand what was going on better (there's some great tutorials, particularly from Justin Tadlock IIRC).

You might need to talk to the plugin developers on their support forum directly if we can't help you here.

Advertisement