Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cerazette/pill question

Options
  • 07-06-2012 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭

Hello mums!

I'm on Cerazette for the last ~2.5 months (baby is 3.5 months old). I'm breastfeeding my baby exclusively and i haven't had a period yet.

Not looking for medical advice, just wondering how long it took other cerazette users to get a period after the birth of their babies? (Starting to freak out about getting pregnant again and not realizing it, and ending up on some Channel 4 freakshow programme :P ! )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Think it was about 5/6mths after I had him that I got a period, I remember it being very heavy and painful, even when I went on Cerazette - which I was on from about 4mths after....after nearly a year of being on cerazette I just found it not agreeing with me at all, periods every second week - which may only last two/three days but it was unpredictable and I didnt like that, headaches, bad pains and so on so I stopped using it and went back to doctor who changed my pill

It did breast feed baby for 6mths, think that might have maybe stopped my periods for so long so not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Errr I was on Cerazette for about 3 years (before having my baby) and I never had a period on it. If you're looking for a period as a sign of reassurance then I reckon you need a different type of contraception!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

Wasn't on that brand name pill or any pill but didn't get a period back until I stopped breastfeeding at 9 months. It came back about 2 weeks after I stopped.

On my first I did take the mini pill but didn't get period back until I stopped breast feeding at 6 months.

So don't panic, it will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

ocy wrote: »
    Wasn't on that brand name pill or any pill but didn't get a period back until I stopped breastfeeding at 9 months. It came back about 2 weeks after I stopped.

Exact same for me, i wasn't on the pill but period only came back when i was down to 2 small b'feeds/day (morning & night) which was when baby was 8/9mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

(Starting to freak out about getting pregnant again and not realizing it, and ending up on some Channel 4 freakshow programme :P ! )

Haha, god forbid, those shows are ridiculous!

I had no idea you could go back on pill while breastfeeding, I had the idea that you couldn't. I'd be delighted to go back on pill very soon after the birth as it's always been the best contraception for me (& only thing that stops my teenage-type skin breaking out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Breastfeed my first for 7 months, second for a year, on mini pill both times. No periods till I stopped breastfeeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mink wrote: »
    Haha, god forbid, those shows are ridiculous!

I had no idea you could go back on pill while breastfeeding, I had the idea that you couldn't. I'd be delighted to go back on pill very soon after the birth as it's always been the best contraception for me (& only thing that stops my teenage-type skin breaking out)

You can only go on the "mini-pill" (ie progesterone-only pill). Oestrogen can stop breast milk production. Which is why I am on Cerazette. The difference between Cerazette and combination pills I was on before is that you take a pill every day (no 7 day break). Personally the pill is the only option for me, especially soon after the birth (condoms can be very irritating for several months after the birth for various reasons...).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i really dont want to frighten you, but i was on 'noriday' 4 1/2 months after baby no. 1 when i got pregnant with baby no.2. I never had a period. i have since met a few people who have gotten pregnant on noriday. its 98% effective.

this time i'm going with ius, better odds than getting my tubes tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I am on cerazette since E was 6 weeks old. I didn't get a period until we finished breast feeding at almost 6 months. I havn't had one on it since, in fact I took a break from it a couple of times for a few days just to reassure myself that I wasn't pregnant! :p Other than that it was great for me, little or no side effects!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

3.5 months would be very soon for periods to return. It's not unusual from breastfeeding mums not to have periods return for at least a year or more.
    Progesterone- only contraception can also delay return of periods, and are fine to use I think from 6 weeks post partum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Personally the pill is the only option for me, especially soon after the birth (condoms can be very irritating for several months after the birth for various reasons...).

Condoms are very irritating at the best of times, I can only imagine what it's like when your bits are still dishevelled from the birth :eek:
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    i really dont want to frighten you, but i was on 'noriday' 4 1/2 months after baby no. 1 when i got pregnant with baby no.2. I never had a period. i have since met a few people who have gotten pregnant on noriday. its 98% effective.

this time i'm going with ius, better odds than getting my tubes tied.

Is Noriday a mini-pill too? I'm terrified of getting pregnant even in the first year after having this baby. I think I'll go to the well woman clinic after have the baby as they are going to be the most likely to have all the up to date info on the options. I find sometimes GP's are unsure as they are just not up to date on the most recent research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mink wrote: »
    Condoms are very irritating at the best of times, I can only imagine what it's like when your bits are still dishevelled from the birth :eek:

Well normally you're not supposed to do the bold thing til you get the go-ahead from your doc/gyny at the follow-up appointment (1 month - 6 weeks after the birth), but eh...the main problem is with the hormone changes, things can be very, ahem, dry for months after...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes noriday is a mini pill to, cerazet was out of stock around nov 2010 to march 2011 so i was perscribed noriday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was on Noriday, before coming off the pill to try for a baby. Had my first period after the birth a month after I had her, have always got my periods back really quickly. Really heavy, as was the second one:(. Went on Cerazette, and haven't had a proper period since, only very, very slight when coming near the end of the pack. Going to see how it goes weight wise though, as I'm small and any little bit shows. Was size 8 pre pregnancy, and am now 12, which if i was taller would look fine. Had this problem with the Depo Provera jab too, but no periods. Ya just can't win:(

Advertisement