Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Rankings (Human .v. Human games)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Miracle Powerful Terminology

matthew8 wrote: »
    Ugh, it's so hard to decide. The Panthers and Raiders both have so many positives for me. The Raiders of course have speed on their side, run a 4-3, have a strong defensive line and safeties. But the line can't block and the corners/LBs can't cover. That's where the Panthers are different. LBs are coverage gods. Unfortunately Sherrod Martin is a pile of crap. D-line also a big step down from the Raiders but Charles Johnson will at least allow me a pass rusher to play around with. The offensive line is a major strength for the Panthers, and the daily show gives me the sort of back I want. Greg Olsen is a guy I love (though TBH I would rather Marcel Reece of the Raiders) and Cam Newton would be absolutely awesome to play with. The one concern is the WRs. Steve Smith for the first year is fine but he really starts slowing down, at which point I would have to turn to Gettis. I would have Louis Murphy back though. On the other hand the Raiders have awesome Madden WRs in DHB, Ford and Moore.

I think I'll pick the Panthers if I can. Unfortunately Jerry Richardson isn't the easiest guy to make fun of.

And the team ratings for the Texans and Ravens are a joke.

a joke to low or to high

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

a joke to low or to high

Way way way too low. The Ravens were the third best team in the league, had a great draft and now find themselves behind the Falcons. The Texans on the other hand are one of the most complete teams in the game, and are lower than the Cowboys and Jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

My wildcard win against the Chargers moved me down a few spots in the order,

Based on those teams, I would be tempted by Redskins, Cowboys or Texans, maybe the Saints. Don't know how much time we'll have once game comes out to make this decision.

Would agree the ratings for those two look a little low. Saints and Lions maybe a little low too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Team OVR's are pretty meaningless anyway. I wouldn't let that guide my decision.

Individual player ratings are much more important, but even they are a fairly poor indicator, you really have to look at the different stat ratings for what's important at that position.

I wouldn't advise anyone to draft their team based on ratings. See what sort of game you like to play and draft based around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

Don't know how much time we'll have once game comes out to make this decision.

I'd hope to get a week or 2. We know we're not going to get 4 seasons no matter what so there's no massive rush getting the league started. the game comes out at the end of August/early Sept and I'd almost argue to give it 2 weeks before starting the year. my thinking being:

1. It'll give everyone a chance to get used to the game, see what works for them. Panthers might have had awesome LBs in Madden12 but if magic, leaping LB is removed will a strong LB corps be as vital???

2. It'll allow an updated roster to be used. This means players like 2013's Victor Cruz might be a factor as opposed to an afterthought

3. Season 3 won't end in June (5 day weeks) and we'll all be scratching our back sides for much of the summer.

As for the rating, i think they actually look alright. The teams up the top (Pack/Pats) look to have the greatest depth and the fewest holes across the roster. The next group (Ravens/Falcons/etc..) have excellent individual players but also some glaring holes. The next group's rating (Broncos/Cards/Bengals) look pretty solid too - they'll upset a few but that'll be the extent of it.... and the dross (Browns/Colts) are the dross!!!

the only team that look to be a little low are the Texans... but then player for player the rankings are probably right. It's the excellent coaching schemes they run that make them look better... and i don't think Madden takes coaching schemes into account when drawing up player ratings :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

100% agree with ibmax's post above. M13 will be out Friday 31st August. Definitely should not be rushing to start season 1.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think we can do the team draft about 1 week before we start the league, does that sound like a good idea? Give people a chance to get used to to their team and playbook and what not.

By the way I think the Bengals could be a really good team in M:13 if Dalton and AJ Green progress as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think we can do the team draft about 1 week before we start the league, does that sound like a good idea?

Not really, why not wait a few weeks, let people play the game and if new people have bought the game and are on boards they might just come looking for a league and they can then join from week 1 .

My question was should we do our team draft about 1 week before we start playing the actual league or do the team draft and then straight into the league/franchise? Wasn't really considering when the league should start.

To that end I think we should be starting around mid-September. If we want 3 seasons that's when we should be starting. If you wait too much longer you lose a bit of momentum from the launch and from the start of the NFL season.

I guess a poll is the best way to decide.

I'd prefer to do it sooner rather than waiting around for other people who may or may not join the league. If they are interested in playing, don't think playing from Week 1 would be a deciding factor in it.

As with other things that have been discussed about Madden 13, think a poll is a good way to go, see what people think.

EDIT: Having said that, will be trying to convince one friend of mine into the NFL to join up and wondering where else we can be recruiting besides the American Football forum?
    Also, could keep a list of people who have posted in this forum that aren't in the BFL, PM them to see if they're interested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cool mock draft Rob. A few things I predict - Mike will definitely take the Ravens at number 6. Packers will go number 1 ahead of the Patriots. The Jets will end up falling below their predicted 11th pick. The Lions will be picked ahead of their predicted 16th. I wouldn't be surprised to see those two teams swap positions on the board.

At number 20 there's a few teams I have my eye on. Probably shouldn't give too much away but what they hell. Those teams are the Bengals, Bills, Broncos and Chiefs. I should hopefully be able to get one of them, although I doubt the Broncos will fall considering who their QB is. The Chiefs could be an interesting option for me as a run first player with both Charles and Hillis, two very good Madden RB's. They're also a very young team with no player over 30 on the roster. No doubt they'll now get picked before number 20 :pac:

As for a start date. How about we aim for the first game week to start on Monday, September the 17th? We could do the draft to pick teams on the Saturday or Sunday when people tend to have a bit more free time? The NFL season will be in week 2 so the interest would definitely be around its peak. That would give everyone plenty of time to pick up the game as not everyone will be able to get it on release date and play numerous friendlies to see which teams they like, get used to the new features etc and it would also give the college lads a week or two to settle back in and sort out internet connection etc if needed. Those of us that are getting it on release date would get 16 days of practice. I think at that stage everyone would be wanting to get the league underway and would be raring to go? A poll is the best way to decide though, that way everyone gets a say.

One final thing. I'd guess that virtually everyone on Rob's list will be back for Madden 13, but it would be great if we could get another 2 or 3 players signed up for the new season and completely cut down on CPU games, as they are a guaranteed win 99% of the time and are very, very boring.

Overall after initially being disappointed with no fantasy draft I'm really looking forward to this and the spreadsheet Rob has done to keep track of the draft picks has been brilliant. I think we're in for a cracking few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'm back in for M13.

Back in Ireland, jolly old England and her short term contract turned out to be a very short term contract.

Was I was the worst player in the league? :o:(

Dave: My excuse is that the Browns are sh!te.
    Crowd: But it was a fantasy draft draft Dave, you didn't have the Browns roster.
    Dave: Errmm...Look a distraction!

So....Pack or Pats?
    Ah maybe I'll just stick it out with the Browns, they have heart :D:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads, in the airport.. What would be the current draft order?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Lads, in the airport.. What would be the current draft order?
    It's on the previous page.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers, will be titans or Seahawks for me. Can't see the texans falling that far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Disappointed with my final position but I suppose it'll help balance next year.

Will play as the top 5 teams on that mock draft and decided which one works best for me. I'm a Pats fan however so if they are available Tom and his gorgeous hair may be too hard to turn down! Well that and Gronk spike!

Whoever ends up with Vince Young please spend your days in practice trying to inflict a career ending injury, it's for your own good!

Another thing to think about for the draft is "trade bait"

You may not want to take a team because they have a glaring weakness in some position.

However if they have depth elsewhere you could make some trades to strengthen elsewhere.

Hernandez is an obvious candidate who would bring good trade value without weakening the team too much.

Similarly in SF there are currently 5 running backs which is a bit ridiculous. Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs, Dixon. If I get the niners I'd certainly move on at least 2 of those guys.

Yeah lots of things to consider when picking your team, especially as we'll be using the proper NFL cap rules, etc.

-Current roster talent (starters, depth, age)
    -Cap space
    -Future picks (though think this only affects Redskins and Rams after RG3 trade)
    -Most important, personal preference!

Hate to say it Adrian, but can't see you getting your 49ers, or me getting my Pats.

Hate to say it Adrian, but can't see you getting your 49ers, or me getting my Pats.

Well anybody who takes the Niners is going to be a mortal enemy for life.:mad:

Not that bothered as there will be lads of good teams available when I pick.

I'd be happy with Lions, Bengals, Bears, Eagles, Texans etc.

I'm signed up to 3 franchises for Madden 13. In one I've the number 1 pick (49ers), in another I've the number 30/31 pick and then in between on this so I'm sure I'll have 3 very different teams in all 3.

Can't wait really.

Updated rankings after the Divisional Round.

ibmax now the no.2 rated player after defeating 2-time Super Bowl champ SantryRed.
    Bengals shoot up 4 places after wildcard win

HumanRank.s03w19.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

Here are the leagues records/results from season 1 if you really feel the need to add them into your spreadsheet, or if they are of any use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amb7i5eokd8bdHcxM3J5MmJzVkVXdjN5ejBoZjluZEE

Here are the leagues records/results from season 1 if you really feel the need to add them into your spreadsheet, or if they are of any use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amb7i5eokd8bdHcxM3J5MmJzVkVXdjN5ejBoZjluZEE

Cheers Dave, unfortunately not just the results I need to complete spreadsheet. Had to go back and see which games were Human-v-Human and which were CPU. Way too hard to do for season 1 in the old forum

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

adrian522 wrote: »
    Another thing to think about for the draft is "trade bait".

I don't see too much trading going on for 2 reason. Guys that are highly rated are gonna have big contracts, and you will take a big cap hit.

Guys with low ratings and smaller contracts is different. If some one came in for an offer of one of theses guys, i would be suspicious. The offerer has spotted something that I haven't. That would make he hesitant to dump the guy.

Obviously some guys suit 3-4 or 4-3 defences better and different offences suiy different players. But it would make me think long and hard before trading someone.

I think there will be plenty of trades. Not to the extent of Madden 12 where guys are trading players and moving them on straight away, but certainly there will be a significant amount of trading. Don't forget we are playing 3 seasons and picks can be traded as well as players (I think).

Not all contracts will be back loaded and trading of backups is still a valid way to improve a team. One persons backup may be a starter elsewhere.

Fair enough you may be hesitant to trade a backup because someone else rates that player but if you have 2 good LT's but no good CB's and someone else is in the opposite situation then a trade makes sense for both players.

No changes from previous list.

What if?
    ibmax would have taken over the no.1 spot had he gone all the way to win the Super Bowl, however it was not to be (this season anyway).
    A Super Bowl win for the Lions would have vaulted Raoul up to no.7

HumanRank.s03w21.jpg

This also means the draft list is finalised for Madden 13, which I will put up in the mock draft thread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Have to say fair play Rob for doing the power rankings. The league is much better this year, literally anyone can beat anyone and we've seen that in the results so far.

Big time paully, the league is very very open this year, AFC is going to be very very tight this year IMO

Advertisement