Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism to defeat religion by 2038?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Opticom wrote: »
    Exactly, so still waiting on a good argument for atheism . . .

As am I about the penguin farting Unicorns..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

So in reality, you can only offer only one argument for atheism/agnosticism ?

One with no evidence, and no proof ? The very position you claim.

What on Earth are you talking about?

If a person states something exists - the onus is on them to prove it.

It doesn't matter if they are talking about gravity, dragons or God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

smash wrote: »
    Can you not see that it is a good argument to ask for proof? Or do you just believe everything you are told without anything to back it up?

That's exacltly why I'm looking for proof, evidence, or even a good argument for atheism

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

That's exacltly why I'm looking for proof, evidence, or even a good argument for atheism

Faith - Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Atheism - We kinda need logical proof and material evidence.

You have faith, I don't. No argument needed.

Ok - how about:

Prove there is a God.
    Oh - you have no proof.

Lack of proof for existence of God = lack of belief in God = Atheism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The argument for being an atheist, someone who does not believe in god. Is that there's no reason to believe in a god that's based on a book that was written by ignorant people (ignorant by today's standard I'm not accusing them of being stupid.) who where just attempting to explain the universe while pushing their own agenda. Most of the bible is nonsense.

Atheism - We kinda need logical proof and material evidence.

And I need it for atheism,

What evidence have you ? or at least what argument have you, to that logically proves atheism ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm not singling you out P, but since you're here :) What I've always found interesting about Christians, particularly the born again folks is that they rarely quote Jesus in these things, 9 times outa 10 we get Paul. They're more Paulians than Christians.

Then again that's what the religion became. Paul tweaked a local and exotic Jewish religion for mass consumption in the Greco-Roman world. The Romans loved their exotic gods. Everywhere they conquered or traded with they brought back a god or goddess, for the craic like. He was well placed to do so, having a foot in both camps. You can see evidence of this tweaking all over the place. Christians aren't directed by dogma to go around snipping bits off babies willies, nor have they any food restrictions. Both notions that were considered barbarous by the Romans and especially the Greeks. Even today, try separating a leg of pork from an Italian and you've a fight on your hands. Damn right too. Paul removed enough of the "ahh that's a bit too exotic for our tastes" stuff from the original. The Roman church later codified such changes and added their own to make it fit better. The elevation of Mary a good example. The original texts make little mention of her. Clearly Jesus loves her as his mum, but he ignores her entreaties too. The Church organisation itself followed the Roman military and organisational model. Jesus himself doesn't seem to enamoured with your average clergy of his time. I suspect if he was dropped into the 10th century church world he'd be outside the vatican kicking in the doors. Of course the biggest irony of all is the state apparatus that killed him was the one who later bannerised him. Of course they added in a nice little piece about blaming the Jews. Ties up loose ends. *

As well as quoting Paul the more conservative snake handling nutbags tend to quote the fire and brimstone of the old testament and for your real polyester suited bible thumpers you have Revelations. Always gets them sweaty in the pews with talk of beasts and many titted whores. And fair enough. Feck all of the actual Jesus in it mind you.

It was ever thus. The Catholic church the same. Pop along to a mass and look at the liturgy. If the mass was a movie, Jesus would only make a short cameo appearance. The readings are from Paul, the rite itself has but a vague connection to the first century Jewish preacher and when he does enter the stage in the Gospel reading it's a remarkably small rotation of the same passages.

Never mind too many Christians not doing "what Jesus would do", the faith itself has little enough of him in it.

*actually the trial of Jesus is an interesting one. The Romans never released prisoners on local feast days. Pilate existed, but wouldn't have been arsed with dealing with that kind of local matter. The Romans were generally too sensible to get bogged down with that kinda thing. The choice between Jesus and Barabbas is also an interesting one. Barabbas means son of the father. His full name is given as Jesus Bar Abbas. Hmmmm indeed.

Good post. As an agnostic I often feel equally antagonized by the militant atheists that love quoting old testament scripture at you for blood sport.

Believing that they have smugly backed you into an ideological corner by citing some arcane verse ,they can get quite irritated when you point out that Christ’s teaching dismissed much of the old testament nonsense they're quoting, thus’ an eye for an eye’ became ‘turn the other cheek’.
    As you say, a Christian should really pay little heed to laws designed for (and probably perfectly applicable at the time) a society 3,000 years ago and focus more an the broad message of Christ.
    That is one of the strengths of Christianity, it's adaptability. Unlike Judaism and Islam which are old testament religions, the bible has a second act, and it's reformist in nature.
    The Talmud is effectively old testament rabbinical law, and the Quran is literally the word of God as transcribed by Muhammad (his alleged illiteracy is often cited as a proof that he couldn’t have written it himself), and thus immutable, but there's some flexibility to the bible, even if various institutions would try their best to atrophy it.

As to whether or not Pilate would have dirtied has hands to the point of having to wash them, I saw in interesting documentary on the life of Christ that explored the political situation at the time. There was a lot of ‘peoples front of Judea’ activity at the time and nationalist agitation. Many among Christ’s followers considered him the reincarnation of Joshua son of Moses, and expected that the kingdom he promised would be on earth, retrieved from the Romans. The Romans don’t mind hokey spiritualists, but they tended to come down hard on any figure around whom an independence movement might coalesce and threaten Roman rule, and for this reason, he had to go, despite explicity stating that ‘whatever was Caesar’s should be rendered onto Caesar’. Ie. I’m not agitating against Roman rule.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The argument for being an atheist, someone who does not believe in god. Is that there's no reason to believe in a god that's based on a book that was written by ignorant people (ignorant by today's standard I'm not accusing them of being stupid.) who where just attempting to explain the universe while pushing their own agenda. Most of the bible is nonsense.

And if the bible never existed, what proof would that be of God's non existence ?

conorhal wrote: »
    Good post. As an agnostic I often feel equally antagonized by the militant atheists that love quoting old testament scripture at you for blood sport.

Believing that they have smugly backed you into an ideological corner by citing some arcane verse ,they can get quite irritated when you point out that Christ’s teaching dismissed much of the old testament nonsense they're quoting, thus’ an eye for an eye’ became ‘turn the other cheek’.
    As you say, a Christian should really pay little heed to laws designed for (and probably perfectly applicable at the time) a society 3,000 years ago and focus more an the broad message of Christ.
    That is one of the strengths of Christianity, it's adaptability. Unlike Judaism and Islam which are old testament religions, the bible has a second act, and it's reformist in nature.
    The Talmud is effectively old testament rabbinical law, and the Quran is literally the word of God as transcribed by Muhammad (his alleged illiteracy is often cited as a proof that he couldn’t have written it himself), and thus immutable, but there's some flexibility to the bible, even if various institutions would try their best to atrophy it.

As to whether or not Pilate would have dirtied has hands to the point of having to wash them, I saw in interesting documentary on the life of Christ that explored the political situation at the time. There was a lot of ‘peoples front of Judea’ activity at the time and nationalist agitation. Many among Christ’s followers considered him the reincarnation of Joshua son of Moses, and expected that the kingdom he promised would be on earth, retrieved from the Romans. The Romans don’t mind hokey spiritualists, but they tended to come down hard on any figure around whom an independence movement might coalesce and threaten Roman rule, and for this reason, he had to go, despite explicity stating that ‘whatever was Caesar’s should be rendered onto Caesar’. Ie. I’m not agitating against Roman rule.

It must also be considered that he was crucified - a particularly lingering and painful method of execution that was reserved exclusively for those who threatened the Roman State.
    He may have been saying I'm no threat to the political status quo- Rome obviously disagreed but the Jesus of the gospels is an a-political figure who rails mainly against Jewish authorities....funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

And if the bible never existed, what proof would that be of God's non existence ?

Stop being obtuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What evidence have you ? or at least what argument have you, to that logically proves atheism ?
    A logical argument for atheism is the fact that there's no logical proof to suggest there's a god. You are the worst troll we've had here in a while.
    If the bible never existed then nobody would believe in god because there would be no fairy tale to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If the comic book 2000AD never existed then nobody would know about Judge Dread. Same thing as god and the bible.

I'm sorry - but that has to be the most idiotic question I have ever heard and as a lecturer I have heard some dingers in my time.

People believed in Gods long before there was a Bible - it's a book. That is all. It's a book describing how one particular tribe believed there was only one God, not the many Gods most people believed in at the time. In and of itself it proves nothing beyond the belief system of one particular group of people.

Does Egyptian tomb art prove the existence of Anubus? No. It proves people believed in the existence of Anubus. That is all.

Does the Parthenon prove the existence of Athena? No. It proves Athenians believed in the existence of Athena. That is all.

Does the Bible prove there is only one God? No. It proves there were people who believed there was one God. That is all.

And I need it for atheism,

Do you need proof that Aladdin never existed?

Do you need proof that Aladdin never existed?

Are you sure he never existed - Aladdin does feature in an ancient text which is itself a compilation of many older texts...that seems to be all the 'proof' needed for belief in his existence.....just saying.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Are you sure he never existed - Aladdin does feature in an ancient text which is itself a compilation of many older texts...that seems to be all the 'proof' needed for belief in his existence.....just saying.

Exactly ;)

Read this and tell me - what is the difference between a book such as Arabian Nights and the bible:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_One_Thousand_and_One_Nights

There is as much proof in that book that Aladdin exists, as there is in the bible that God exists.

If the bible never existed then nobody would believe in god because there would be no fairy tale to begin with.
    People believed in Gods long before there was a Bible - it's a book. In and of itself it proves nothing beyond the belief system of one particular group of people.

Does the Bible prove there is only one God? No. It proves there were people who believed there was one God. That is all.

Bannaside, thanks for answering smash's post.

it's quite possible for God to exist without the bible.

So, still waiting on an argument for atheism . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Exactly ;)

Read this and tell me - what is the difference between a book such as Arabian Nights and the bible:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_One_Thousand_and_One_Nights

There is as much proof in that book that Aladdin exists, as there is in the bible that God exists.

Yeah but in the bible they mention real places and people which proves the resurrection. In the Arabian nights they don't mention real places like Baghdad do they......oh wait?!?!?

Bannaside, thanks for answering smash's question.
    Sorry what?
    it's quite possible for God to exist without the bible.
    The ONLY reason there is a belief in god, is because of the bible.
    Well apparently you can't read so you might be waiting a while.

• Advertisement

Bannaside, thanks for answering smash's question.

And if the bible never existed, how would that be proof of God's non existence ?

Many people believe in the existance of God without any belief in the bible.

Well since you like to split hairs you will note that Smash said 'god' - singular. I referrred to the belief in gods - plural. So, if the Bible - or more correctly the Talmud and the Torah - did not exist then equally monotheistic religions would not exist.

You would now be here arguing there are many gods... I would still be saying there are none.

The ONLY reason there is a belief in god, is because of the bible.

Never mind all the other forms of belief in God ?

Are you trying to say that the only reason God can exist is because belief exists ?

That's your evidence for claiming that God cannot exist ?

Are you trying to say that the only reason God can exist is because belief exists ?

This book explains it quite well
    smallgods.gif

I would still be saying there are none.

Based on what evidence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

This book explains it quite well
    smallgods.gif

I like Terry Pratchett, I have most of his books, including one of the very early editions of the colour of magic, but a fantasy novel is not evidence for atheism.

Never mind all the other forms of belief in God ?
    Like?
    No, I'm trying to say that the only reason there's a belief is because of the bible.
    That's your evidence for claiming that God cannot exist ?
    No, it's the only evidence there is to claim a god does exist. And I use the phrase evidence very very loosely.
    Based on what evidence ?

Do you believe in any other gods?

Based on what evidence ?

Ok. I've had enough of your trolling now. Isn't there a pointless survey you should be badly drawing up?

I like Terry Pratchett, I have most of his books, including one of the very early editions of the colour of magic, but a fantasy novel is not evidence for atheism.

except to say - a fantasy ancient text is no proof for the existence of God. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ok. I've had enough of your trolling now. Isn't there a pointless survey you should be badly drawing up?

Oh don't be such a rebellious teenager.

Advertisement