Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism to defeat religion by 2038?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Helix wrote: »
    if i claim i can fly, and you claim that i can't, the onus is clearly on me to prove that i can, otherwise i can just sit here with my fingers in my ears shouting "you can't prove that i can't, i know i can and that's good enough for me"

But you or I are not claiming one of us can fly, which is easily verifiable on the spot, and a non sequitur as far as the existence/non existence of God is concerned.
    Helix wrote: »
    if someone claims that there is no god, it's usually because they've seen absolutely zero satisfactory evidence that there is one, not because they have evidence that there isn't

Again, absence of evidence is not evidence, and that's the only argument for atheism I've heard so far.

If you have any evidence or even a good argument for atheism, other than the above logical fallacy, I'll be glad to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Opticom wrote: »

Again, absence of evidence is not evidence, and that's the only argument for atheism I've heard so far.

If you have any evidence or even a good argument for atheism, other than the above logical fallacy, I'll be glad to hear it.

Ever hear of a thing called SCIENCE??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Reality is not democratic. It doesn't matter how many people have believed something for how many years, that alone doesn't mean the thing in question is actually real.
    There is no need to prove the non-existence of something that has never been observed in the first place, just because some people believe it exists.
    People claim fairies exist, and that alien life forms have abducted human beings, they believe that black cats are bad luck and that they will be reborn as another person, or a cockroach.

There is nothing to disprove any of these beliefs. Would you believe in any of them simply based on the fact that absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence?
    Because if you do, you might be very interested in an email I received yesterday from a wealthy Nigerian prince...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Shenshen wrote: »
    Because if you do, you might be very interested in an email I received yesterday from a wealthy Nigerian prince...

Ohhhhh...that double crossing slut! I know she is a double crossing slut as there is no evidence to prove that she isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Opticom. What is it you want? Evidence for the existence of atheists, the existence of atheism or proof that gods dont exist?
    Im pretty sure it is impossible to prove the non existence of something so you have be all befuddled i must admit.:eek:

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Reality is not democratic. It doesn't matter how many people have believed something for how many years, that alone doesn't mean the thing in question is actually real.
    There is no need to prove the non-existence of something that has never been observed in the first place, just because some people believe it exists.
    People claim fairies exist, and that alien life forms have abducted human beings, they believe that black cats are bad luck and that they will be reborn as another person, or a cockroach.

There is nothing to disprove any of these beliefs. Would you believe in any of them simply based on the fact that absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence?

Again, rather than a long list of strawmen, if you've any evidence for atheism, or even a good argument for atheism, I'm still waiting for it.

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Ever hear of a thing called SCIENCE??:rolleyes:

Yep. So any scientific evidence to support atheism ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Opticom, quick question as I assume you will be able to quickly answer it, What is atheism?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Again, absence of evidence is not evidence, and that's the only argument for atheism I've heard so far
    There isn't an absence of evidence it's just that all the evidence is flawed and usually incorrect. IE : The bible.

ScumLord wrote: »
    There isn't an absence of evidence it's just that all the evidence is flawed and usually incorrect. IE : The bible.

God's existance is not dependent on the existance of the bible, or even the existance of man for that matter.

So if there is not an absence of evidence for atheism, can we have some ? or even a good argument for atheism, i.e. that does not depend on the logical fallacy that an absence of evidence is evidence, because that's the only argument I've heard so far, never mind evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You don't actually know what logic is, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Surprised how active this thread has been.

Oh, for Opticom...

shizz wrote: »
    Opticom, quick question as I assume you will be able to quickly answer it, What is atheism?

Well it used to be the belief that God does not exist, but in recent times some atheists have had to try and redefine it as the lack of belief in God, which as Dawkins himself admits is strictly agnosticism. i.e. while he doesn't believe in the existence of God, he doesn't claim to know for certain. Some athiests do claim to know for certain, some of the agnostic brand don't.

Therefore, however you want to define atheism, I'd like some evidence for atheism, or at least one good argument for atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Well it used to be the belief that God does not exist, but in recent times some atheists have had to try and redefine it as the lack of belief in God, which as Dawkins himself admits is strictly agnosticism. i.e. while he doesn't believe in the existence of God, he doesn't claim to know for certain. Some athiests do claim to know for certain, some of the agnostic brand don't.

Therefore, however you want to define atheism, I'd like some evidence for atheism, or at least one good argument for atheism.

Lack of belief doesn't need evidence?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

What do you mean by evidence for atheism?
    What do you mean by an argument for atheism???

How about..
    I am an atheist
    and
    I am unconvinced by anything i can observe that there is any reason to believe in any of the gods i have heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Again, rather than a long list of strawmen, if you've any evidence for atheism, or even a good argument for atheism, I'm still waiting for it.
    You keep asking for evidence of a belief. A belief which is based on the fact that there is no real evidence to say god exists. Then you keep dismissing people when they explain it to you. The truth is that its a damn good argument, because there is more evidence to say there is no god, than to say there is a god.

Would you like me to start with the Big bang or evolution?

If you want i can throw in some theoretical physics with relation to quarks or string theory?

How bout a short lecture explaining how we were all formed from destruction of stars?

Being a Physiologist personally i can explain to you how the individual body systems work and explain how they could not be formed by "god".

Biochemistry maybe?

Seriously there are so many areas of science that i could use to disprove you're silly argument. Take your pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Would you like me to start with the Big bang or evolution?

If you want i can throw in some theoretical physics with relation to quarks or string theory?

How bout a short lecture explaining how we were all formed from destruction of stars?

Being a Physiologist personally i can explain to you how the individual body systems work and explain how they could not be formed by "god".

Biochemistry maybe?

Seriously there are so many areas of science that i could use to disprove you're silly argument. Take your pick.

The big bang theory comes from a Belgian priest and is probably the most accepted theory on how the universe started.
    Not really a reply to you, just for those who say religion stops people from asking questions or even thinking about the possibilities.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Surprised how active this thread has been.

Oh, for Opticom...

Another logical fallacy

First of all you can prove a negative :

"Irish goals against Italy did not exist tonight" : "You cannot prove a negative"
    "There are no toes on my feet" : "You cannot prove a negative"

Separately, If you don't have proof for atheism, I'm looking for evidence or a good argument for atheism.

Another logical fallacy

"Irish goals against Italy did not exist tonight"

"You cannot prove a negative"

I know you don't have any proof for atheism, I'm looking for evidence or a good argument for atheism

THE EVIDENCE WAS THE LACK OF GOALS THAT IRELAND SCORED!!!

WAHEYYYYYY WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

• Advertisement

Another logical fallacy

"Irish goals against Italy did not exist tonight"

"You cannot prove a negative"

I know you don't have any proof for atheism, I'm looking for evidence or a good argument for atheism

Atheism is lack of belief.

Red Hand wrote: »
    Lack of belief doesn't need evidence?

If you have no evidence for atheism, then give me a good argument for atheism

Min wrote: »
    The big bang theory comes from a Belgian priest and is probably the most accepted theory on how the universe started.
    Not really a reply to you, just for those who say religion stops people from asking questions or even thinking about the possibilities.

That doesn't really change a thing tho...

That's agnostic agoalism, Opticom. Still waiting for proof of a negative. Any time now. Just one will do. One flying reindeer. One picture of Russel's Teapot. One video of you and Jesus burying a hooker in a graveyard after a mescaline bender in Juarez. Plenty more negatives you could prove, I'm sure you can use your imagination.

Edit: Actually, if you do have a video of yourself and our Lord and Saviour burying a hooker, you should probably do the honourable thing and turn yourself in. We'll have to assume you do have one, because you can't prove that you don't.

Do you just copy and paste this? Cause if not it might save you some time.

shizz wrote: »
    THE EVIDENCE WAS THE LACK OF GOALS THAT IRELAND SCORED!!!

WAHEYYYYYY WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Good man, the accepted score line, and the video footage is the evidence

Now any evidence for atheism ?

Now any evidene of for atheism ?

All that proves is that people BELIEVE there were no goals scored, and that nobody took a video of any goals being scored. You're taking an awful lot on faith there. Perhaps you just missed the goal while you were burying that hooker?

Lads, Opticom is clearly a troller. I'd just leave him to enjoy his own company if i were yee

Now any evidence for atheism ?

OK, now copy that second sentence to your clipboard.

• Advertisement

Atheism is a lack of belief in God(s). Why would I argue for or against a definition?

I love boards.ie.

Advertisement