Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism to defeat religion by 2038?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Opticom wrote: »
    In that case, If you've evidence or a good argument for the statement "God does not exist" fire away so.

Why would I waste my time when the evidence suggests your response will consist of some variation of
    So far, I've had four variations, repeated over and over :

1) the usual ad homiem
    2) strawmen arguments, and/or that X is equivalent to Y
    4) there is no evidence or argument for atheism
    3) the logical fallacy that absence of evidence is evidence

None of them provide either sufficient evidence, or a good argument for atheism.

Truth be told - I have zero interest in what you believe in and even less in convincing you any particular view is correct.
    I know what I do - or in this case do not - believe - there is no reason I have to justify myself to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Those are arguments for theism.
    If theism and all its arguments never existed, and even if man never existed, that would still not mean that God does not exist.
    The concept of god would probably never have existed then. The only evidence for god comes from humans. No other animal has ever shown any belief in god.

This really is a bottom of the barrel argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I'm looking for a good argumement for atheism.
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzOcuuM0-RplADNoLpoU70P8PoDS9PMIc2p8yttviVl7qevt9KSaRJzwl4LQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Those are arguments for theism.
    If theism and all its arguments never existed, and even if man never existed, that would still not mean that God does not exist.

They are specifically looking at the arguments for theism and saying what is wrong with them, therefore ATHEISM.

No matter how you want to word it, you are wrong on your stance about atheism. Everyone here knows it and has pointed it out to you yet you continue on with your usual drone.

Blah blah blah ad-hominem blah blah good argument blah blah not evidence blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

ScumLord wrote: »
    The concept of god would probably never have existed then. The only evidence for god comes from humans. No other animal has ever shown any belief in god.

This really is a bottom of the barrel argument.

So now are you're claiming that God cannot exist independently of man or animals ? If that’s to be true, then I'll need to see that claim supported with some evidence or at least a good argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

So now are you're claiming that God cannot exist independently of man or animals ? If that’s to be true, then I'll need to see that claim supported with some evidence or at least a good argument.

LOL.

shizz wrote: »
    They are specifically looking at the arguments for theism and saying what is wrong with them, therefore ATHEISM.

and I'm specifically looking for the arguments for atheism

No the fictional character that people made up can't exist without people. Evidence to support this would be that no fictional characters existed before humans came along.

and I'm specifically looking for the arguments for atheism

I think one good argument for atheism is that you exist tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not even Dawkins tries to claim that.
    That's a conclusion reporting to be fact, so if its a fact, you'll have some proof, or even evidence or even a good argument.

Ah, I can see why people have given up arguing. You don't seem to grasp the simple concept of proof.
    Show me some proof that god exists, so far religious have provided zero. Your argument works both ways.

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Ah, I can see why people have given up arguing. You don't seem to grasp the simple concept of proof.
    Show me some proof that god exists, so far religious have provided zero. Your argument works both ways.

Any proof for atheism so ?

Have you got any proof that he hasn't given you proof on atheism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Could you please prove that you're not just a bit thick?

No the fictional character that people made up can't exist without people. Evidence to support this would be that no fictional characters existed before humans came along.

Lots of things existed before humans came along, and lots of things exist that we don't yet know about.

Now where's your evidence, or good argument that God must be a fictional character, or could not exist before or independently of humans ?

It's bad form to answer a question with a question. Have you any proof that there is a god. If not, by default atheism wins.

It's bad form to answer a question with a question. Have you any proof that there is a god. If not, by default atheism wins.

Now you're back round to claiming the logical fallacy that absence of evidence is evidence.

Still waiting on any evidence or good arguments for atheism, but its still not available on boards.ie, that’s for sure.

Lots of things existed before humans came along, and lots of things exist that we don't yet know about.
    Yes, inanimate objects. Can you give any example of something outside of the elemental table existing before humans?
    Now where's your evidence, or good argument that God must be a fictional character, or could not exist before or independently of humans ?
    Because god is a human construct you can follow the development of the story from non existence to modern day. Your argument could be applied to superman and it would be just as ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

This guy has based most of his posts around this nonsense. You will change his blind perspective just about as easy as you'd shít through the eye of a needle. Stop wasting your time.

Now you're back round to claiming the logical fallacy that absence of evidence is evidence
    No I'm asking you to answer a question. Your refusing because you know you have no argument outside of hiding being one statement.

Yes, inanimate objects. Can you give any example of something outside of the elemental table existing before humans?

the table consists of all known elements, and when a new element was discovered its added to the table, or are you trying to claim that an element cannot possibly exist anywhere in the universe if its not already contained on the current periodic table ?[/QUOTE]
    Because god is a human construct you can follow the development of the story from non existence to modern day. Your argument could be applied to superman and it would be just as ridiculous.

If man never existed, God could still exist, something does not have to be a human construct to exist.

• Advertisement

Now you're back round to claiming the logical fallacy that absence of evidence is evidence.

Still waiting on any evidence or good arguments for atheism, but its still not available on boards.ie, that’s for sure.

Opticom, out of curiosity what exactly is your stance on the matter?

No I'm asking you to answer a question. Your refusing because you know you have no argument outside of hiding being one statement.

The poster claimed that proof was important, I agree, so I asked for proof for atheism, failing that even evidence, or a decent argument for atheism will do.

the table consists of all known elements, and when a new element was discovered its added to the table, or are you trying to claim that an element cannot possibly exist anywhere in the universe if its not already contained on the current periodic table ?
    No, god is not part of this universe if my understanding of the story. There's is very little that I can think of that we don't have some sort of explanation for. We have UFOs, we can see and witness them but we don't always know what they are. The same can't be said for god.

If man never existed, God could still exist, something does not have to be a human construct to exist.
    Of course not, but unless someone that believes in god can show a reason why they think there is a god there's no reason for me to accept anything they say. All the evidence shows it's a made up story with absolutely no basis in fact. For anyone to say people should just accept that a fictional character can exist just because someone thought them up is nonsense.

Your still question dodging, which is very telling.

Opticom, out of curiosity what exactly is your stance on the matter?

My current stance is that I'm looking for evidence or a good argument that supports atheism.

All the evidence shows it's a made up story with absolutely no basis in fact. For anyone to say people should just accept that a fictional character can exist just because someone thought them up is nonsense.

You've got evidence for atheism ? Great lets have it

My current stance is that I'm looking for evidence or a good argument that supports atheism.

Considering you don't even understand what atheism means, that's going to be very hard.

Come on Opticom, you know what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Your current stance is running the f*ck away from valid points.

Still waiting for proof you didn't murder a hooker in Juarez.

You've got evidence for atheism ? Great lets have it
    No, as usual you've dodged the point or just failed to actually read what I typed. I never said anything about atheism in that post. I said the story of god can be traced from it's inception right up to today. The concept didn't exist before people made him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

In relation to the OP, if people think that atheism will "defeat" religion in 30 years time, they've been spending too much time on the internet.

• Advertisement

Considering you don't even understand what atheism means, that's going to be very hard.

Come on Opticom, you know what I meant.

I've heard a dozen versions of what atheism means, they range from strong atheism (no God) to weak atheism (could be, but I don't believe at present) to agnostic (I don't know), to "I don't refer to myself as atheist or agnostic"

It's perfectly possible to discuss atheism without getting bogged down and side tracked in personal individual beliefs / non beliefs.

Regardless of what you or I personally believe, I'm looking for evidence or an argument for atheism, a theist can give me one if they want, I don't particularly mind what anyones personal belief is, I'm intrested in the subject.

Advertisement