Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism to defeat religion by 2038?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Opticom wrote: »
    I've heard a dozen versions of what atheism means, they range from strong atheism (no God) to weak atheism (could be, but I don't believe at present) to agnostic (I don't know), to "I don't refer to myself as atheist or agnostic"

It's perfectly possible to discuss atheism without getting bogged down and side tracked in personal individual beliefs / non beliefs.

Regardless of what you or I personally believe, I'm looking for evidence or an argument for atheism, a theist can give me one if they want, I don't particularly mind what anyones personal belief is, I'm intrested in the subject.

Octagon, can you give me evidence or, at the very least, a good argument to back up your stance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

ScumLord wrote: »
    No, as usual you've dodged the point or just failed to actually read what I typed. I never said anything about atheism in that post. I said the story of god can be traced from it's inception right up to today. The concept didn't exist before people made him up.

Grand, but how does that prove God does not exist ? He could still exist if people never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Regardless of what you or I personally believe, I'm looking for evidence or an argument for atheism, a theist can give me one if they want, I don't particularly mind what anyones personal belief is, I'm intrested in the subject.
    Your not accepting any ones reason for not believing in god, you continue to hind behind a logical fallacy. If you do not believing in god your position is atheism. That's all there is to it. It's a descriptive term not a believe structure.

Grand, but how does that prove God does not exist ? He could still exist if people never existed.
    How?

shizz wrote: »
    Octagon, can you give me evidence or, at the very least, a good argument to back up your stance?

I've heard all the counter arguments for and against theism

I'm looking for evidence or an argument for atheism, have you got any ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

We're looking for evidence that you're not simple. Have you got any?

How?

Lots of things existed before man and continue to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Do you have any evidence to support that claim?

:pac:

I've heard all the counter arguments for and against theism

I'm looking for evidence or an argument for atheism, have you got any ?

So this is your argument to your stance? Well guess what? It's atheism's as well. Well done. You are an atheist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

So could the flying spaghetti monster

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence to support that claim?

Apart from Planets, stars, rocks, mammals etc ?

That's not an answer to my question, it's more dodging.

So this is your argument to your stance? Well guess what? It's atheism's as well. Well done. You are an atheist.

It's irelevant what I am.

Any evidence or good arguments for atheism ?

My point was it is acceptable for you to say that your stance is due to you having looked at the arguments for theism yet, presumably, rejecting them.
    But you seem to not think it is suitable for atheism?

That's not an answer to my question, it's more dodging.

If it was a genuine question, I'm sure you'll have no trouble asking it again

The burden of proof is on religious believers, not atheists

old hippy wrote: »

Blah blah the absence of evidence is not evidence for absence blah blah

Just saving you the bother Octagon.

old hippy wrote: »

For theistic arguments and atheists for counter theistic arguments, but I'm looking for evidence or a good argument for atheism.

For theistic arguments and atheists for counter theistic arguments, but I'm looking for evidence or a good argument for atheism.

There are none. Its just a conversation that goes backwards and forwards. Nobody wins .

It frees up a lot of time to concentrate on stuff that matters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Any proof for atheism so ?

Yes. Its the normal state till god is proved. Since god hasn't been proven, that's proof for atheism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

A version of agument no. 2 above.
    Theists do not have one belief system, Theism a belief that at least one deity, of whatever version, can exist. That's it. You can be a theist and have no other belief than that.

incorrect, theists believe that at least one deity, of whatever version, DOES exist. if they simply think that it CAN exist, but don't necessarily believe it does, then they are agnostic
    So by that exact rational where's your proof for atheism ? or even evidence, or even a good argument ? The rest of you post is about how the existance of 'x', a different entitiy, must be equivalent to God, back to a version of argument no. 2 again.
    correct, the rest of my post is about that, because they're the same thing. simply changing x to god doesnt change anything

proving there's no god is like proving that i can't read your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Helix wrote: »

Poor analogy. Optimus is hilariously predictable.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Yes. Its the normal state till god is proved. Since god hasn't been proven, that's proof for atheism.

and you're back round again to the logical fallacy that absence of proof is proof, and that absence of evidence is evidence.

Helix wrote: »
    incorrect, theists believe that at least one deity, of whatever version, DOES exist. if they simply think that it CAN exist, but don't necessarily believe it does, then they are agnostic

correct, the rest of my post is about that, because they're the same thing. simply changing x to god doesnt change anything

I always knew there was no proof for atheism, but the question remains, have you any evidence or a even a good argument for atheism ?

and you're back round again to the logical fallacy that absence of proof is proof

Since atheism is lack of belief then a lack of proof is proof for atheism. Want me to spell it out in your alphabetty spaghetti?

Since atheism is lack of belief then a lack of proof is proof for atheism. Want me to spell it out in your alphabetty spaghetti?

Sure, if you have the first ever proof for atheism, fire away, but I'm not even looking for that, evidence or a good argument foratheism will do.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    and you're back round again to the logical fallacy that absence of proof is proof, and that absence of evidence is evidence.
    HAHA! You've been Opticom'd Paparazzo. This is like a word game where you have to give your answer without using certain words.

I always knew there was no proof for atheism, but the question remains, have you any evidence or a even a good argument for atheism ?
    This is the logical fallacy. You can't prove atheism because there's nothing to prove. Then you confuse proof with an argument for. They're two completely different things. I could be for something and not require any proof but I can be for something because of a lack of proof too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I'm looking for a good argumement for atheism.

i gave you one

like god, there's no actual proof that there's not at least one invisible car on the road. however none of us refuse to cross the road in case that invisible car DOES exist and hits us, which would surely be the most sensible thing to do, given that we can't disprove the existence of invisible cars. however, we can take a step back and realise that even though there's a minuscule chance of them existing, it's far too ridiculous an idea to actually give any consideration to, so we instead decide that when the road looks clear, it's safe to cross - we don't need to give consideration to our chances of being run over by an invisible car

however, like with god, if someone can actually prove that invisible cars are out there with something other than a story from an old book about invisible cars, then people will change their views

i personally do not believe in god because, from my experience, there's not a single shred of credible evidence that a deity exists. i do accept, however, that i don't know or understand everything, and there is a minuscule chance that a god, or gods, may actually exist. that chance is just so tiny, so far as i can see, that it's not worth considering as being possible

for example, it's scientifically possible that you can run through a solid surface - straight through without making any contact at all - but the chances of every atom in your body ACTUALLY missing every atom in the wall are so tiny that we all just accept that it's not going to happen

there's very little that's actually impossible, being sensible is recognising that there's a threshold where things are so unlikely that they may only be able to occur once, at a single point in the universe for a fraction of a second that they can be discounted as not being real

you're continually asking for proof of atheism. how do you go about your day with that mentality?

are you not terrified that the atoms in your body will fuse with those in your chair and you'll be stuck as a man-chair for the rest of your life? doesn't it worry you that a piece of rogue space debris will smash through your head, killing you instantly if you step outside? do animals scare you because they might, at any point, attempt to savage you? are you afraid of walking in case you step in such a way that the balance in your leg gets thrown off and your ligaments snap, sending your shin up through your knee?

do you want undeniable proof that none of those things can happen? because, you know, there is no undeniable proof that they won't. they're all possible, they're just a touch unlikely - although far less unlikely than an all powerful being creating the universe as we know it on the law of averages

• Advertisement

Sure, if you have the first ever proof for atheism, fire away, but I'm not even looking for that, evidence or a good argument foratheism will do.

Because the gods were created in man's own evidence. There is not one shred of evidence for the existence of a deity.

And it would put a stop to endless, circular and quite frankly, tedious threads like this.

It also might signify a quantum leap in the maturity of reasoning in mankind.

Advertisement