Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful Immigration Office

Options
  • 07-06-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this. Please feel free to move this if needed.

I am a non-EU citizen living in Ireland for 6 years and am due to get my VISA renewed. I went to the immigration office with my passport and GNIB card but one of their reps told me to bring our marriage certificate, wife's passport, my passport and GNIB card. So I did bring them to the office yesterday, waited 2 hours for my turn.
    After 2 hours, I finally got to talk to one of their reps to renew my VISA. But she told me that my wife had to be at present. I insisted that all I needed to bring were above documents and therefore it was not my fault. She didn't even listen and try to understand that it was their fault that I was misinformed. Kept insisting for 10 minutes but in vain. She finally said "I am giving you the best advise." and I said "your advise is to give people wrong information and waste our time!!!" She didn't even say sorry. I had to take a holiday and the cost of public transport for absolutely nothing!!!

It is the worst public service I have ever experienced, horrible!!!

I am aware that I am not asking for a solution or anything but would really appreciate if any of you could give me your feedback.

Thanks,

Comments

You probably should have figured out online exactly what you needed before you went in the first time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

You should have checked beforehand as to what was required on the day.

VISA is a credit card by the way. Visa is travel document. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irishboard

thanks for the feedback. yes I think so too but was unable to find a link where i can check to see what's needed to bring? would you be kind to provide me a link?

Quick google for "Irish visa application" brings up: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Frequently%20Asked%20Visa%20Questions

Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This is not a consumer issue. A service issue perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

JustinDee wrote: »
    You should have checked beforehand as to what was required on the day.

VISA is a credit card by the way. Visa is travel document. ;)

This person did check with a rep but was given the wrong information. If you can't trust the reps there's something wrong with the system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Irishboard wrote: »
    After 2 hours, I finally got to talk to one of their reps to renew my VISA. But she told me that my wife had to be at present. I insisted that all I needed to bring were above documents and therefore it was not my fault. She didn't even listen and try to understand that it was their fault that I was misinformed. Kept insisting for 10 minutes but in vain. She finally said "I am giving you the best advise." and I said "your advise is to give people wrong information and waste our time!!!" She didn't even say sorry. I had to take a holiday and the cost of public transport for absolutely nothing!!!

In fairness you should have checked the requirments online before hand, but then hindsight is 20/20.

Understandably you were annoyed but I'm unsure what 10 min's of you insisting you were only told to bring the documents was going to get you.

Even if they did say they made a mistake they couldn't process your visa without your wife being present and then 10min you spent only held up other people.

Unfortunately people make mistakes and we all know this from our day to day lives dealing with all sorts of service providers.

@Onthe3rdDay, thanks for supporting my opinion. You seem to have gotten my point properly : ) They don't even have one person who can assist/instruct people what to do/where to go etc. You have to queue for ages to just ask one simple question. In my opinion, this is not a good service at all.

I am aware, in all fairness, that I should have checked the requirements beforehand. I did try to call them up but their phone line not working due to a large volume of requests and in fact, it's still not clear to me as to where I can find the right info on the site Rojomcdojo provided me. (I know I am damn but not easy for a non-native) Since I was told to bring wife, we are going there today so wish me luck : )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Tow

Since I was told to bring wife, we are going there today so wish me luck : )

Make sure the wife acts like a wife. Last time I was in there we had great entertainment while waiting, when the staff (are they all Garda?) decided that a couple had a 'marriage of convenience'.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They don't even have one person who can assist/instruct people what to do/where to go etc. You have to queue for ages to just ask one simple question. In my opinion, this is not a good service at all.

And if there was a person just to answer the odd simple question we'd be here complaining about the waste of Taxpayer's money. We can't afford anything better at present!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spacecookie555

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this. Please feel free to move this if needed.

I am a non-EU citizen living in Ireland for 6 years and am due to get my VISA renewed. I went to the immigration office with my passport and GNIB card but one of their reps told me to bring our marriage certificate, wife's passport, my passport and GNIB card. So I did bring them to the office yesterday, waited 2 hours for my turn.

I am aware that I am not asking for a solution or anything but would really appreciate if any of you could give me your feedback.

Thanks,

I feel for ya Irishboard, im an irish citizen but even I find getting the right info on most things in ireland is next to impossible and this whole attitude of "its not my job its not my problem" needs to change imo.

The only people I find helpful is citizens information, anytime I have an issue I ring them, I find their info, views and unbiased advice very helpful, heres their number give them a call if you're wondering about anything and want solid advice;

0761 07 4000
    Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This is still not a consumer issue. Every single visa application is going to be a unique set of circumstances. There may be guidelines and rules but each application is effectively bespoke to that person.

In these cases you are going to have to do what the immigration officer tells you.

However, there is no excuse for rudeness either.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

You initially went to INIS without any of the required documents or your wife. You should have been very sure of what is required when renewing permission. Did you think that when renewing permission to remain in the State based on your marriage to an EU national that it wasnt necessary for the EU national to be present for the renewal. Entirely your fault. Everything is on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks,

IS this your first renewal as the Spouse of an Irish Citizen, because the Irish Spouse must always be present (in my experience) for the renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn't a Consumer Issue, but I'm at a loss where to put it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Not really sure. If I had been posting a topic like this I would have put it in legal but if I was a mod I would close the post as I think it has been answered as much as it can be.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Tow

dudara wrote: »
    I'm at a loss where to put it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Setup a 'Public Sector and Semi State' Bashing forum. The An Post etc threads could also be moved to it.

Otherwise here is fine, the GNIB provide a service providing visas. It was once free, they now charge €100 for the pleasure of queing for hours.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Tow wrote: »
    Setup a 'Public Sector and Semi State' Bashing forum. The An Post etc threads could also be moved to it.

Otherwise here is fine, the GNIB provide a service providing visas. It was once free, they now charge €100 for the pleasure of queing for hours.

Actually free for the OP, since they are spouse of Irish Citizen.

I'd just close it as it;s neither a Consumer Issue or adding anything to the subject. It's just a complaint - what is there to discuss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I'd just close it as it;s neither a Consumer Issue or adding anything to the subject. It's just a complaint - what is there to discuss?

Quite a lot of xenophobia being revealed by several postings here I think!

As the original poster Irishboard said at the outset, Consumer Issues may not be the perfect heading for the issue raised but it is definitely an issue worth raising. As the service complained of is not one where there is any choice or competition and furthermore is run by the Gardai there needs to be some recourse for those who feel badly treated and who probably feel vulnerable.

One poster (disingenuously?) suggested that a service issue could not be a consumer issue. That defies logic.

Perhaps there would be benefit in establishing a new forum heading to cover Public Services or Services issues. There could usefully also be one specially dealing with general complaints (or compliments?) about the Garda Siochana.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Just to let you know the staff on the desks in GNIB Burgh Quay are not Gardai. They are civil servants. They refer issues to Garda Immigration Officers working in GNIB where necessary. Immigration Officers in various stations around the country are gardai.

Not sure if that helps but if you want to make a complaint about the person at the desk, it's not a garda complaint.

Ernest wrote: »

As the original poster Irishboard said at the outset, Consumer Issues may not be the perfect heading for the issue

As you posted this with a quote from me, I take strong exception to your accusation. Where did I suggest anything xenophobic.? I simply said that the thread is not a Consumer Issue (which is agreed by the OP) and replying to the Mods request for suggestions. Your accusation is hurtful, insulting and unfounded!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ernest wrote: »
    :
    Don't see any such xenophobia. Care to pin-point the specific remarks from those posts which you feel show a fear or hatred of foreigners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

After twenty years of dealing in visas and work permits my basic advise is

If you can think of a document bring the original, bring a book and take a leak before you join the Q

Advertisement