Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Boru

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

What happened the national series points when the Pulse Triathlon in Clogherhead became a duathlon last year?

The race director couldn't have stressed any more the dangers of that decent due to the wet surface,narrow road & the tight corners. He told us to slow down & we'd make up the time later.

I was chatting to a local athlete afterwards & he said that the organisers wanted to take out that part of the bike course & stick to the main road.
    But it was the Gardai who insisted that it goes off the main road. If that's true it doesn't make a lot of sense as the the 2nd part of the bike course is on the main road from Tuamgraney to Twomilegate anyway. Don't see what difference it would make if the first half went out on the main road to Tuamgraney.

It will be interesting to see what they do next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Genghis wrote: »
    There's got to be National Series points. The decision was not to stop the race it was to let the race continue.

This from the organisers post-race note: "the Race Organisers and the Triathlon Ireland Officials but a contingency plan in place to send back all athletes from the bike route into transition to continue on the run course as normal"

How well that was communicated is another issue altogether.

It's going to make the points a bit of a joke so, there was a lot of people heading out of T2 running in groups (from clubs I'll not name) chatting away about how they were just going to cut the run short and do the sprint course because they thought the race was effectively over, so there'll be a good mixture of fast run splits and slow run splits from people who just didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

d4r3n wrote: »
    If they awarded points it'd be the only Aquathlon on the NS race calender no?

There was a duathlon on last years NS after the Clogherhead swim was cancelled. There will defo be NS points.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

d4r3n wrote: »
    I doubt it will count towards NS points, if it does it'll be a bit of a joke.

I totally understand your frustration with regards to this. There was a huge amount of confusion at the race as this scenario was obviously not planned for. However, I think it would be a bigger disaster not to award NS points. There was still a race. If people didn't do the full course then it is the job of the marshals / TOs to find out and disqualify them. The rest of the competitors who paid good money to do the race should not be punished as well.

From a selfish point of view - if NS points aren't given then that will likely kill any chance I had of winning the National Series title (its bad enough that the bike section was canceled and I was demoted to 2nd and therefore have already lost a lot of NS points). That was also a big race for our club with our top 6 male and female triathletes taking part. That would cost us a huge amount of points in the club competition as most were using this local race as one of their 5 NS races.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

It looks like NS points are being awarded as normal according to the TI website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

From a selfish point of view - if NS points aren't given then that will likely kill any chance I had of winning the National Series title (its bad enough that the bike section was canceled and I was demoted to 2nd and therefore have already lost a lot of NS points). That was also a big race for our club with our top 6 male and female triathletes taking part. That would cost us a huge amount of points in the club competition as most were using this local race as one of their 5 NS races.

Doesn't seem to have affected your points at all. Highest scoring race of the year leaving you only 119 behind BMC. Its on.... No points in for BotE but I would guess it would have you damn close. Presuming you're racing again you've gotta be in with a huge shout now.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Doesn't seem to have affected your points at all. Highest scoring race of the year leaving you only 119 behind BMC. Its on.... No points in for BotE but I would guess it would have you damn close. Presuming you're racing again you've gotta be in with a huge shout now.

It's always a fairly high scoring race. Glad to see it remaining that way.

Yep two NS races left for myself (1 good, 1 bad I am predicting). Stephen Early, Trevor Woods and Bryan McCrystal all still have a big chance of victory. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

It's always a fairly high scoring race. Glad to see it remaining that way.

Yep two NS races left for myself (1 good, 1 bad I am predicting). Stephen Early, Trevor Woods and Bryan McCrystal all still have a big chance of victory. Should be interesting.

Holy God B Boru NS points were huge!!! Especially considering the bike and t2 were negated!!!

Biggest scoring race this year I think.

Showdown in Dublin City Olympic so for the title it appears...

4 horse race... (assuming all horses are in for Dublin?) actually T Woods still awaiting NS points also for B Boru I think..
    BMC now must do another Race and a high scoring one at that so if he wants it.
    He's in for Galway 70.3 though the following week but who knows.

Calm swim
    Lapped bike course slightly undulating but not much
    Tricky ish run course...

I tell ya what Shane.... I'm all in on yourself :D

Gonna be a great race, I'm defo going to make a point of supporting and watching this unfold from the bystanders point of view.

Looks like it could be a very exciting race and maybe even next few races scrambling for NS points so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

resurrecting rather than starting a new thread. who is in for this year?

doing the olympic, will be my first oly. doing castleconnel sprint the week before, they're my too most local tris, would figure they'd be on consecutive weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

mossym wrote: »
    resurrecting rather than starting a new thread. who is in for this year?

doing the olympic, will be my first oly. doing castleconnel sprint the week before, they're my too most local tris, would figure they'd be on consecutive weekends
    Havent entered yet but will prob do the sprint.
    Is home tri apart from north tipp sprint which I missed so it will be good to do it.
    is course tough?

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    Havent entered yet but will prob do the sprint.
    Is home tri apart from north tipp sprint which I missed so it will be good to do it.
    is course tough?

run is tough, goes right up a hill. especially the oly which is pretty much steep uphill for the first 5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

mossym wrote: »
    run is tough, goes right up a hill. especially the oly which is pretty much steep uphill for the first 5k
    thanks. entered the sprint. dont mind a tough run as long as bike isn't horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ormond lad wrote: »
    thanks. entered the sprint. dont mind a tough run as long as bike isn't horrible.

First k is flat then 3k up hill. Before fast descent. About 400m of descent will be No Race Zone. Rest of bike is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

I'm in for worlds end sprint, then Brian Boru OLy, then "the lost sheep" half :D- 3 consecutive weekends....Brian boru oly is tough...very tough cycle-especially doing the hill twice, run is extremely tough and you'll be doing very well not to be walking some of it..looking forward to it :D

Trig1 wrote: »
    I'm in for worlds end sprint, then Brian Boru OLy, then "the lost sheep" half :D- 3 consecutive weekends....Brian boru oly is tough...very tough cycle-especially doing the hill twice, run is extremely tough and you'll be doing very well not to be walking some of it..looking forward to it :D

i almost bit the bullet on lost sheep as well, but decided to leave a half till next year. fair play on doing all 3. you;re like me though, have to do the local ones

Advertisement