Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat introductions

• 07-06-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

So the story is Im on work placement in a vets and there is a very sweet cat who has an infection. I dont want him to be left alone all weekend so I may bring him home and keep him in the bathroom, with the possibility of looking into keeping him. Only problem is I have 2 cats already, now they get on okay with some cats while they detest others. I find they are okay with entire males but my female will attack other females. Since the cat on question is a castrated male ive no idea how they will react. I was thinking of keeping the bathroom door closed so all cats can smell each other through the bottom, after a few hours letting them integrate by playing with a toy of some sort and not treat my own 2 any differently. Does this sound good or does anyone have any other advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

It might be a little soon to expect your own cats to get used to the smell and possibly sight of a new arrival in the space of a couple of hours so I, personally, think you're being a little optimistic.

Some cats are very laid back and seem to get on with all others and we have the perfect example of one of these at home. We also have a cat who's the complete opposite and who appears to take a dislike to any and all other cats so it will very much depend on your own cats.

My advice would be to bring the poor injured kitty home but keep him in the bathroom for the entire time he's there but spend a lot of time in there with him so he doesn't feel scared in a new strange place. Try putting down a blanket or towel for him on the first night and then changing it for a new one and leaving the old one out for your kitties to get used to his smell.
    You could also try wedging the door open just a milimetre or two (under supervision) for a short while so that your kitties can come and have a sniff of the new arrival without putting any of them in danger.
    If there's any form of overt aggression, just close the door and distract your cats with toys but not treats as that only encourages their behaviour.

The idea of letting them meet within a few hours and trying to distract them with a toy, while good in theory, will probably not work.
    Another cat in the house, in plain sight, is going to be far more interesting and exciting than any toy or treat could ever be and it will be difficult to distract their attention from the injured kitty, putting him at risk of further injury should they decide to fight with him.

Having done the introduction thing several times with our cats and having seen it almost go horribly wrong one one occasion, I'd advise caution and suggest you take it very slowly. That way it will mean that the injured kitty won't get further stressed and your own cats won't feel threatened in their own home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I did bring home a towel with me yesterday with his smell on it and my cats seemed very interested but not upset, I might take it much slower but I know my cats hav been good enough in the past. But great advice thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Yep, they'll be interested alright and it was a good idea. They'll know it's a strange new cat smell and will want to investigate but they're not really going to be overly upset by it's presence whereas they might well be upset by the actual physical presence that provides the smell.

You're going in the right direction and with a bit of luck, it'll all go well.
    It'd be nice to think that the poor injured little man would be able to find a new home with you.

Our last addition to our tribe was found dumped in a ditch and was very car sick on the way home so we put the carrier down in the hall when we got in to go get wipes and clean towels.
    The other four gathered in committee with Genie hissing at him through the bars while he waited although he showed nothing but curiosity and no sign of aggression at all.
    I lifted him out onto my knee to clean him and Sully, our head of house, ex-feral cat, and lover of all things feline, came over, had a sniff and started cleaning him.
    The others followed suit, even Genie, and by the time he was clean, I decided to trust to instinct and just put him down on the floor with the others. They promptly took him off and showed him round his new home before all of them curled up on the sofa and went to sleep.
    And five months on it's as if he's always been here.

I will admit that it doesn't always work out that well or go so smoothly but we were extremely luck on this occasion and hopefully it'll go well for you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Don't forget that the newcomer can start the aggression too - that was the case with my last adoptee. It can take a long time for everyone to settle down... It's nearly a year since the new cats came in here, and yesterday for the first time ever I saw the two adult females rub heads in passing. I'm so happy, I thought there would never be peace between them:D It's worth being patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

planetX wrote: »
    Don't forget that the newcomer can start the aggression too - that was the case with my last adoptee. It can take a long time for everyone to settle down... It's nearly a year since the new cats came in here, and yesterday for the first time ever I saw the two adult females rub heads in passing. I'm so happy, I thought there would never be peace between them:D It's worth being patient.

It's about 18 months since Susie moved into our place and our other female still occasionally commits random acts of violence against her such as the odd back of the paw if she goes too near her.
    However, I've found them cuddled up together a couple of times on the bed - the sneaky little gits!

It really does take a lot of patience and time for some cats to fully accept each other and get along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Has the vet cat been tested for FIV? Quarantine is a huge consideration when bringing home a stray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yup hes all clear!

Advertisement